best side of boat for views

MLG424

Hello! Just read cruise critics article on balconies and am curious if the side our balcony on has any great views! We are headed to st. Lucia, st. Maarten, st. Kitts, Barbados, and st. Thomas. What sides offer the best views at each port?

Thanks!

It all depends on what pier they use to dock the SHIP and which way the Captain decides to dock alongside the quay.

Unless there are specific feature of the port you want to specifically see on sail in or sail away, it's a toss up as to which side of the SHIP is "better".

Thanks! That is what I am beginning to figure out! We shall see! Last time I cruise I had an inside room, no windows- so it definitely didn't matter! Have a balcony room this time, so I am sure it will be better than before!

I would chose the port side for one reason. After you depart St. Lucia, you will most likely take a nice leisurely sail along the coast and past the Pitons. On both of my trips, the coast was on the port side (I'm not sure about the ship or itinerary you are on, we took Serenade of the Seas). The views are spectacular and not to be missed. After a long day in port, there is nothing better than sitting on our balcony and enjoying the views. On my last trip, the captain sailed very close to shore and did a 360 turn near the Pitons so everyone could see. On my first trip, it was just by luck I happened to be watching when we sailed by.

Otherwise, it's hit or miss which way the ship will be facing in port. If you pull straight into the main dock area, the port side will have the better view in St. Maarten.

I'm also going to say Port side, but for different reasons.

From the list of islands, I'm going to guess that this is the Carnival Victory.

Reviewing the itinerary, she would travel from St. Lucia to St. Kitts overnight. That's a long way, and the Victory tops out at 21 Knots. It would be awesome if she sailed past The Pitons, almost a spiritual experience, but I don't think they should plan for it, as there probably isn't enough time.

After St. Kitts, there's little distance and lots of time, so the ship may very well approach St. Maarten from the West. If so, a portside cabin will see views such as these.

th_DSCF0303.jpg

(click)

But the number one reason would be the return into San Juan and the view of El Moro and downtown in the morning light. Get up early for this one. (Lots more photos there.)

1167317166053083033S200x200Q85.jpg

(click)

gary

Archived