Illetas Beach in Palma?

helencw

We have been to Palmas and have seen the cathedral and castle. This time my 10 year old would like to go to a beach. I would like to find one that is not too far that we could reach by bus. I like the experience of taking buses and trying to start conversations with locals.

I was planning to take the number 3 bus to Illetas from the cruise ship dock. I have researched the buses and also looked at a satellite view of the beach and it looks very nice. There would just be the 2 of us.

Has anyone been to this beach? Is it relatively safe for a child to be in the water if he doesn't go in too deep? (Are there dangerous undercurrents?) Is the bottom sandy or rocky? (Would we need water shoes?)

Could I leave a beach bag on the beach while I am in the water without worrying about it? (I would take cash, credit card, sail card in a water proof neck pouch.)

Thanks!

Dear Helen:

Illetas beach is very small. It's considered a small resort outside of Palma with a few hotels on the water. The beach itself is very rocky, although the water there is quite calm.

If you are looking at photographs of a big, nice, beach, I think someone used a wide-angle lens to take the pictures.

What people general call "Playa de Palma" -- El Arenal, Magalluf, etc. are much nicer beaches. Unlike the other thread you saw about the Canary Islands, in the area of El Arenal and Magalluf, there is indeed a very large and famous Water Park that your ten-year-old might like.

Let me know how else I can help you.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Gunther and Uta,

If the Illetas beach looks like this, we would be happy with it:

http://www.mallorcatour.net/main/Resorts/West_Mallorca/Illetas_resort/beaches

I was thinking that we could go here in the morning and maybe take the number 3 bus into the center of Palma to walk around a bit afterwards.

Thanks!

Helen

Helen:

The pictures are more or less correct. It's probably just a bit smaller and narrower than the picture shows, but the picture is not exaggerated.

For a simple beach day, I still think you should check out Playa de Palma - El Arenal. The beach is prettier and much longer.

From either location you can get to and from Palma without any problem.

We were in Palma in May on the Liberty RCCL. We just walked around the city center in the morning and then had lunch on the ship and enjoyed the pool area in the afternoon -- it was empty because most of the guests were still in Palma.

We have been to Palma many times and just used that day to relax.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Gunther and Uta,

Thanks for your advice. I did look at the Platje de Palma and it does look nice. But plotting the bus route, it would be a 2 buses for 63 minutes and 16 minutes walking for a total of 79 minutes.

It would be easeir for us to get to Illetes from the cruise ship dock, with just 1 bus for 25 minutes and walking of 15 minutes.

Would you know if the Illetes beach is free admission, or do you need to purchase a pass or buy drinks from a restaurant?

Thanks!

Helen

Helen:

We stayed once at a hotel in Illetas (Meliá De Mar). This stay was many years ago, before Spain became as expensive as it is now.

I remember taking cabs from the hotel to Palma city when we wanted to dine out and stay out for the evening. From what I recall, it was a short distance and not very expensive. Especially with your 10-year-old., maybe you might want to consider taxis to maximize your time, even if you end up spending a little more.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hi Gunther and Uta,

I'm glad to know that the cabs are not too expensive in Palma, and it will be an option if we are tired, or if the buses don't follow the 7- 10 minute schedule, (in case the bus drivers take a long lunch).

Thanks for your kind help!

Helen

Hi Gunther and Uta,

I'm glad to know that the cabs are not too expensive in Palma, and it will be an option if we are tired, or if the buses don't follow the 7- 10 minute schedule, (in case the bus drivers take a long lunch).

Thanks for your kind help!

Helen

Hi Helen

I went to that beach 2 weeks ago and didn't see a bus from the dock, but instead caught number 3 bus to Illetes from the Porto Pi shopping centre (on the Burger King side of the road) Cost 1.25 each way. Nice beach, clear waters, free to go on and quite a few essentail amenities (restaurant and bars)

I've visited Illetes beach and enjoyed it. We used the bus too, but not from the cruise port - we were staying at a hotel just above the port.

The #3 bus runs along Avenida de Joan Miro from the city centre down to the area near Porto Pi, where it joins with the new(ish) main road by the shore. Once you've reached the shore-side road at the terminal entrance, it's easy to get to Av. Joan Miro - IIRC there's a footbridge over the busy road, and then you can work your way through a couple of side roads onto Av JM.

Where does one get off the number 3 bus in order to go to the beach?

At the Hotel Bonanza, which I'm pretty sure is where it terminates anyway. You will have a short walk to the beach, possibly having to walk uphill, past the Hotel Bon Sol on your right and then dropping down to the beach.

On the way back there's no way you'll miss your stop (Porto Pi) as it's a huge shopping mall and it's shown on the electronic sign in the bus anyway.

We just got home yesterday from our cruise. We had a wonderful time and I wanted to report back on our great day in Palma.

From the cruiseport we walked about 10 minutes to the bus stop on Joan Miro 166, opposite the Porto Pi shopping center, on the same side as the Burger King as others have advised:

http://www.emtpalma.es/EMTPalma/Front/como_ir.en.svr?accion=busqueda&codPtoInteresHasta=201&codTipoPtoInteresHasta=1&codPtoInteresDesde=216&codTipoPtoInteresDesde=1&codParadaDesde=noTiene&codParadaHasta=noTiene&origen=0&destino=0&dia=6&mes=7&hora=9

On this map you could maginify to see the roads and also see the satellite views.

The frequency of buses is about 7- 10 minutes, costs 1.25 euros and the driver will accept up to a 10 euro bill.

Take the bus for about 25 minutes to the last stop, Pg Illetes 57. There are 3 beaches (Playa de Illetes, and 2 at Cala Comptessa).

I asked the bus driver which one was the most fun and safe for children. He was very friendly and chatty, and recommended that we follow everyone else from the bus and go to Playa de Illetes. Walk toward the water and turn left. In 2 minutes you will see steps leading down to a lovely and sheltered picturesque cove with trees.

There is a large restaurant with clean toilets, and they also sell snacks, drinks, and ice cream. There are also smaller bars and restaurants where you could get sandwiches, burgers, and hot dogs. You can rent a cushioned lounge chair and umbrella for 4 euros each. There are also paddle boats with slides for rent.

The water has a soft fine sandy bottom, a gentle bobbing wave, and is very safe for little children. The sand on the beach is soft and fine as well. When we arrived at 10 am, it was not crowded at all. The beach got more crowded later, but in my opinion, it added to the nice atmosphere. A small number of women were topless, and I explained to my 10 year old that in most parts of Europe this is very acceptable. We had a wonderful time here and mostly stayed in the water except for a quick lunch.

You could see lots of unguarded beach bags on the beach, and I felt fine leaving a cheap camera (with blank SD card) and change purse with a small amount of cash in my beach bag under a towel.

For the return trip there is a bus stop right next to the beach entrance, but the driver said if we go back to the last stop where he dropped us off, we could sit in the waiting bus with ac in comfort.

We took the number 3 bus which brought us past the shopping center where we got on, and continued into the center of Palma, getting off at Pl Rel Juan Carlos I, walked down the shopping street Born, and went to see the outside of the Cathedral. We had gone inside last year.

By this time my child wanted to go back to the ship. I was going to walk to the number 1 bus, but saw the number 3 approaching, so we took that back to Porta Pi and walked back to the ship.

I want to thank everyone who gave us advice on this beach!

Helen:

I'm so glad you had a good time and the beach day worked out nice.

My wife and I are spending the summer in the United States -- we're in Florida right now, and it's been raining all week.

So glad you had much better luck.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived