Snorkeling...Belize or Roatan

packedandready

The snorkeling is more convenient at Roatan, as the reef is, in many places, literally right at the shoreline. There are a number of places where you can just go on your own, walk into the water, don your mask/fins and start snorkeling. Drawback with this is that the more popular places can get pretty crowded, so you might not see as much wildlife.

At Belize, you'll have to either do a ship's excursion or book one on your own, for a boat to take you to the reef. Therefore, it typically isn't going to be as crowded with other snorkelers. Also, they'll probably take you to Shark Ray Alley, where you're likely to see some pretty cool sealife.

As for the reef views, they're similar (it's the same reef system & not very far apart).

I agree West Beach in Roatan is great if you don't have a lot of ships in port. Just walk in and swim out to the reef.

Belize is a boat or plane charter snorkel so more expensive.

But, the simple answer is do both! :D

I would suggest any of the West End beaches in Roatan. The water there is spectacular and if you walk all the way to the far left to the big rock wall you can go right out to the reef from there in a minute. There is a huge rock sticking up out of the water and lots of fabulous snorkling to be done around there. By far the easiest snorkling you will find because it is right there, no boat and no long swim. Just tell your taxi driver to take you to the West Bay or West End beaches. NOT Mahogany Bay which is tempting because it's right there. It is worth the money to go to the other beaches and it only takes 20-30 minutes to get there. A very pretty drive too. I have been twice in the last year and easily rented a chair and hung out in from of one of the many restauraunts. There is a new spot called San Simon Beach Club I rented a huge matress type lounger, awesome! And the place is gorgeous! Next door is the Mayan Princess, beautiful spot to walk around or maybe get a day pass. Check it out!

Roatan. We did both, CCL's excursion to Goff's Caye (we actually went to a different island due to weather conditions). I thought it was beautiful, but less sea life and too many other snorkelers. Roatan, we took CCL's excursion to Tabyana Beach. It was wonderful, we were the only ship in that day and it was not crowded.

Next time I will stay on the ship at Belize and plan to snorkel somewhere on West Bay (maybe Tabyana again). I liked that area of Roatan so much I would consider several days' stay at an all-inclusive sometime.

If you are into snorkeling, I'd suggest that you do BOTH ports.

In Belize I'd suggest that you look up Coral Breeze Tours & check out their snorkeling trip from the tourist village that includes two snorkeling stops & then a local lunch on Caye Caulker & a return boat ride to the tourist village.

In Roatan, I'd suggest the ship's tour of snorkeling at Tayabana Beach where you can walk into the water & swim out just a bit & the reef is there for your exploring. Lots of fish to see here. Runs about $40 PP including to & from transportation.

Snorkeling in both ports is NOT to be missed.

Belize I personally think is better but not as easily accessable as Roatan. Snorkeling at west end roatan is not that bad as far as the fish life but the reef here is mostly destroyed from tourists walking all over it (most of the area is VERY shallow).

Archived