Food at Paradise Beach and Pancho's Backyard Safe?

mylof

Yes.

Relax.

There are thousands of tourists a day coming to Cozumel eating and drinking. If these restaurants were making people ill you would hear about it here. (I know some people who love to complain! :rolleyes:)

Both Paradise and Pancho's are well respected and well reccomended. Check out their Tripadvisor ratings.

We've eaten at Pancho's Backyard dozens of time. It's good and safe. The "special" at $16.95 is enough for 2 people. I usually get an extra order of pico, chips and guacamole. Margaritas, too, of course. If you go to their website, you'll find a coupon to print for free margaritas. Los Cinco Soles is part of the complex and a fun, upscale shopping area. Go next door to Diamond's International, take the elevator upstairs to the generic Discount Pharmacy. We've bought from him for years. Everything he sells is legal and he will not sell you anything without a legitimate prescription so there are no problems with customs. His Retin-A is 3 for $20.00. Ask about the creams - Quadraderm, Cortisone creams, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
I've eaten the food and drink in Cozumel many times and no problems. The only thing to steer clear of is Mexican tap water.

It seems every land vacation in Mexico I forget and drink the tap water and I have never gotten sick. We've been flying down a couple of times a year for the past 25 years so I have had my share of Mexican tap water. The Maitre'd at a hotel in Puerto Vallarta told us that if we drink lots of tequila we won't get sick because it will kill everything! I have taken that advice very seriously. Actually, I've done some research and you should always drink the local beverages as the raw materials are grown in the local soils and the drinks are made with the local water and seem to impart some sort of immunity as well as the effect of the alcohol on microbes( Italian wines in Italy, French wines in France, Vodka in Russia, Tequila and Mexican beer and wines when in Mexico). In Mexico the hotels and restaurants are required by law to use filtered water and ice made from filtered water in food prep. No worries - enjoy the food at the beach clubs and Panchos. It is the food on the ship that has made me sick well before we ever hit the first port. We never eat chicken on a long cruise, avoid the tiger shrimp like the plague on Carnival and take some peppermint tea bags just in case (that advice came from a Princess Steward).

Archived