Adult beach recommendations

jp01104

We are two adults who will be in Cozumel on April 28. Although we don't dislike children we would prefer a beach without a lot of children around. We also don't drink but we like good food. Any good recommendations?

Palancar Beach is good for laid back and quiet because it costs $25 each way to get there by taxi. So if you rent a car this is a good one for what you want. For the best food and probably not too many kids, Palm Beach next door to Paradise Beach Club because right now Rob, the famous chef who made La Cocay famous in town, is cooking there. It won't last prolly. But he's there until his restaurant in town is finished building.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I took so long for the thank you. I saw your web site and there are a lot of great tips there. I like going off the beaten path as long as I feel safe. It can be hard to get that feeeling when your only someplace for the day but your web site made me feel more comfortable about the trip there.

Thanks again!

First of all, you're entirely welcome. Secondly, I just wanted to reassure you -- and other readers -- yet again about how safe Cozumel is. It is one of the three things that attracted me most about moving here full time. I live near the center of the downtown tourist district. In fact, I'm only 4 blocks from the downtown, Punta Langosta cruiseship pier. I walk around at 10 o'clock at night all by myself all the time and it is safe enough here that I used to let my teenage daughter go off on her bike to soccer practice at all hours of the day and evening. And I'm a very protective mother.

There is petty theft, certainly. If you leave your expensive camera sitting on a bench on the waterfront and come back a half an hour later looking for it, it probably won't be there. However, no one is going to snatch your purse from you, for example or knock you down and steal your wallet. In Mexico City (or New York City) maybe. But on Cozumel? No.

Say hola to people you meet on the streets and smile. You will be surprised at how many will grin right back at you. And it gives everyone a good feeling.

P.S. In case you're wondering, the other two major factors in our decision to move here are, in addition to the safety issue, the friendliness and helpfulness of the local Cozumeleños and the beautiful water.

That must have happened less than two weeks ago because I received an email from Rob quite recently saying that the information I'd included on the Hot Tips section of my website -- pretty much what I posted here -- was all correct.--including the part about opening up a restaurant in town across the street from Manati's. But maybe he's not going to call it La Cocay. Although he did not correct me on this fact. So who knows. Important thing for the people on this forum is he's still cookin' at the beach club.

Just talked to Rob an hour ago, he has nothing to do with the new La Cocay, he is one of the owners of Palm Beach and is definitely planning to be there for a long while.

Carey, Rob told me that you must have misread his email and to kindly check it again...

I appreciate the correction and will make a note of this. However, I think it must have been Rob that didn't read what I actually wrote on my website. I looked up the email he sent me and I quote

"Thank you for putting us on your web site. The information you gave was accurate and appriciated."

So from that I assumed he meant the whole blurb which included hours and phone numbers for Palm Beach and also mentioned the new restaurant going in close to Manati's on Calle 10, a tip I got from a friend who knows him and seemed very sure of herself.

Well, who IS going to put their restaurant in there, Tom? Do you know? I am curious, Carey.

Now. I believe we've established, or have we???, that a restaurant under the name La Cocay is being built across the street and two doors east of the restaurant Manatis (Calle 8 and Avenida 10 and has a great $5 lunch that includes soup, drink and entree, by the way).

And that the new restaurant located on Calle 8 between Avenida 10 and AVenida 15 will have the same owners as the former La Cocay? Is that correct?

Chef still to be determined?? Is that correct?

Sorry to use this board to milk for private info but I hope I've "paid my way" by remembering yet another good restaurant for downtown lunches. Manati's is charming and affordable.

And thanks also to other locals who can help with an update on this. There has been a lot of interest in where and when La Cocay, a rather famous and wonderful upscale restaurant, was going to reopen and who the chef would be.

Archived