Family Review - Allure, July 10: 4 Adults, 2 Young Kids, 1 Room

Figgyva, are you the one on flyertalk who posted the tip to practice slotting your carry-on in the AA metal carry-on sizer box ;) ? BTW, that's a tip I don't usually see but since I'm petite and my main carry-on just fits the sizer so it looks big in comparison. The security queue guardian actually made me prove it. There was a tense moment where she thought she'd won while I tapped on the back of the bag to pop it right in. A few minutes practice at an empty ticketing station made it look easy.

Nope, that wasn't me, but it's a good tip. Since I travel a good deal, I'm pretty good at knowing what will fit in the carry on and what won't and I've never had the pleasure of being stopped at security for a bag.

I was on the same cruise as you and it was great to relive it through your posts. I was also glad I had a cabin to myself. Loved your perspective.

It was good meeting you at the M&M, Verna! I did read your review to get the solo travelers perspective as well. You got to do a lot of what I would've liked to do had I not had the kids. I'm sure that having your own space was a pleasant luxury.

Thanks for a really entertaining trip report. Not travelling with kids but I'm still in pre-cruise prep (or live vicariously so my cruise doesn't feel so far away) mode.

Your kids sound like fun people to be around and polite. Kudos to you, your wife, and your support network!

Thank you for the compliment! My kids are really fantastic travelers and I count myself very fortunate for that.

Have a great cruise!

Ditto!

And I've been waiting on Alaska until our kids are old enough for the "cool" excursions (dog sledding, kayaking) and I think we're getting closer. DD turns 13 in Feb and might eventually hit 75 pounds which opens up more options. Just something to think about for there

Thanks for your thoughts on Alaska. I'm sure that we would have a great time as a family if were to go, but I think that we would all be disappointed if we weren't able to do some of what I would consider to be the really fun activities. Both DD1 and DD2 are kind of thrill seekers, like me, and would prefer adventure over just site seeing. Since I really haven't seen anyone post anything about Alaska that talks about being adventurous with younger kids, I'm a little skeptical about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just found your post and it is great. We are leaving on Allure next week and I have a few questions that I didn't see covered here. We have a 3, 4 and 6 year old.

Is there an Adventure Ocean group for the 3-5 year old group? Can you provide any info on the activities in that group? Also, what attire should the 3 year old boy wear for formal night? The 4 and 6 year old are girls and they love to dress up but the 3 year old boy, not so much!

Would you recommend strollers for all of the kids or is getting around the ship not a problem for them at that age?

Wonderful, wonderful review.

We don't have any children (except Grandchildren but they won't be with us) and are trying the Allure for a 5 nighter on Jan 3rd.

We cruise often but this is the first time on one of the BIG girls so reading your review now was not only highly enjoyable and entertaining but very helpful.

Happy Sailing to you and your Family.

Thank you.

Kathy:)

• 2 months later...

Wow, somebody did stay in a family balcony !!!!!! After seeing the photo's and ready your review....... I am really looking forward to this up coming cruise..... There will only be four of us sharing this room type, we will be in cabin 7330.......

• 3 weeks later...

Archived