Returning guest vs early saver

Bad sunburn

Ok. This is my first post on here, although I always read cc. Really enjoy everyone's input. My question is this. How come with carnival, the early saver will actually save you more than the return guest discount? I have always cruised carnival and really enjoy them, but does it seem weird that returning guest really don't get a discount that is maybe even a little better than what anyone else can get?? Or am I just missing something here or have done something wrong or what?? Also, how do you guys save the most money for booking your next trip? I mean do you use an agent, expedia, priceline, coupons, what? Just wondering. But any ideas would be awesome!!!! Thanks

Past guest fares aren't always available and as the cruise date gets closer the Early Saver option falls off (depending on length of cruise). Early saver has non-refundable deposit and keeps open the option to get OBC if a lower fare becomes available for your booked category.

So the two options are quite different. I booked Early Saver watching for a lower fare to become available. When it did, I completed the form and got an OBC. Now my category is sold out, so I can't do that again, but can upgrade if something looks interesting.

Past guest fare doesn't give you the option of fare adjustments if lower rate is offered. But your deposit is refundable (outside penalty period).

Whether you book directly or through an agent is a personal choice. Do you want service or control?

Ok. This is my first post on here, although I always read cc. Really enjoy everyone's input. My question is this. How come with carnival, the early saver will actually save you more than the return guest discount? I have always cruised carnival and really enjoy them, but does it seem weird that returning guest really don't get a discount that is maybe even a little better than what anyone else can get?? Or am I just missing something here or have done something wrong or what?? Also, how do you guys save the most money for booking your next trip? I mean do you use an agent, expedia, priceline, coupons, what? Just wondering. But any ideas would be awesome!!!! Thanks

The Military rate used to be the best rate until they started ES. Now ES is the best until you get within 5 moths of the cruise, then PG is best if they have it available on that cruise. Go figure, ever since Jerry Cahill took over, lots of things have changed and most of them haven't been for the good, imho.:(

On booking our last cruise I was going to book past guest so the deposit would be refundable. I was booking premium balcony. Our PV checked and the cabin I wanted was not available to past guests, but WAS available with Easy Saver. So that's what we booked. Since we are a year and a half away we got the insurance.

The reason ES usually has better rates is because it also comes with more restrictions. If you choose ES, read the fine print! No name changes. If you cancel the cruise you lose 50 bucks per person and the remainder of the initial deposit you paid will not be refunded. It is held for you to use on a future cruise.

ps - I personally don't care but others might flag you. You can't name all those TA sites you listed. It's in CC guidelines, although for the life of me I don't see why:rolleyes:

Past guest fares aren't always available and as the cruise date gets closer the Early Saver option falls off (depending on length of cruise). Early saver has non-refundable deposit and keeps open the option to get OBC if a lower fare becomes available for your booked category.

So the two options are quite different. I booked Early Saver watching for a lower fare to become available. When it did, I completed the form and got an OBC. Now my category is sold out, so I can't do that again, but can upgrade if something looks interesting.

Past guest fare doesn't give you the option of fare adjustments if lower rate is offered. But your deposit is refundable (outside penalty period).

Whether you book directly or through an agent is a personal choice. Do you want service or control?

FYI, you can still try for further OBC even though your category is sold out, if you can find a lower rate on a carnival advertised fare for the same ship, sail date, stateroom category and number of guests and if it is still available once you submit the request and reviewed by Carnival reservation agents. As an example, I have an ES booked but my category is no longer available on Carnival but I continue to check Exp and Travoc prices for my sailing and can get a credit that way if the prices goes lower than what I paid....

to the OP, you are correct in your observation, ES as a rule, does give you the best price and opportunities for credits, if you don't mind the terms and conditions....

Archived