Stupid question about ziplines

bigtoeswim'n

Hi my CC friends: This is probably a stupid question. DH and I will be on POA in HI this Dec 2011. We have different outlooks concerning excursions. I'm more active and he wants to R-E-L-A-X.

We are 56 and almost 60.

So, concerning zip lines in HI. Do all of them require walking, then climbing a ramp, stairs, ladder to the apex of zip line and then descend. Are there any where you start at the top via elevator or road, then descend? Is there such an animal??? DH doesn't want to do a lot of walking, climbing. He labors hard here in the Alabama sun/weather, so come vacation time, he wants to chill. I don't blame him.

However, I would really like to do this bucket-list zip thing. We might do separate excursions, I'm thinking. LOL.

So, most likely, I'm concluding that zipping w/o walking/climbing doesn't exist in Hawaii, right? Color me dumb blonde, as it took me much research to realize that luau happen at night!!! Sheeze. So having fun planning this trip. g/g back to work now so that I can cruise. SIgh

The only Hawaii zipline, I've done is in Maui in 2009 but I've done it in several other places.

There was always walking involved between the zips. For some, you need to carry the pulley that they use to attach your harness to the ziplines. Climbing hills, walking up stairs, etc. it got pretty heavy after a while.

In Maui, they took us up to the top in a van. But there was walking between the zips. It was mostly downhill. I wasn't impressed w/ the Maui zip we did (believe it was Skyline). There were some stairs to climb to get up to some of the platforms, but they were <1 flight.

For others places, there was much more climbing and stairs involved.

I sincerely doubt there are any elevators for any zipline. It's an outdoor activity.

I am looking into zip lines as well and there are a lot on the different islands. Most that I have looked into will reauire some walking....but I have seen at least one that after the initial walking, it says that you stay in the trees zipping from place to place....not sure which one however....sorry.

You are cruising in December 2011...so will I along with my husband and 4 other family members. We are going Dec. 3-10...when will you be there?

Kelly

Ziplining was also on our bucket list so we didn't hesitate booking this excursion. We booked through the ship so it cost a bit more but we didn't plan on renting a car in Kauai as we were there a few years earlier for a land vacation.

We went with Kauai Backcountry. They are an awesome company. My husband and I both have a fear of heights but the only problem I had was the first zip where we climbed maybe 6 steps on a ladder to the platform. (I dont like ladders) That might have been the biggest ladder. There were trails between the zips but they were downhill and almost effortless.

We both agreed that it was one of our greatest thrills and we were disappointed when we were at the bottom. We wanted to go back to the beginning!

We are zipping again in Roatan this September and cannot wait!

I highly recomment this and its not exausting, just exhilarating!!

My wife and daughter did zipling twice in the last year. Once in Hawaii last year on our cruise and once in Gatlinburg, Tennessee in April of this year.

They actually saw no difference between ziplining in Tennessee and ziplining in Hawaii. (except that it was hotter in Hawaii...lol.).

It is also much cheaper to zipline in Tennessee than in Hawaii and you can pick different numbers of "zips" for your package. In the future, they are not going ziplining on cruises because it is so much easier to do it here in the states and cheaper and allows you to do other things on the cruise.

We also did the Kauai Backcountry zip a few years ago. We were all in our 50's/60's. They drive you up to the top of the zipline course in a fun open air vehicle. This is a really fun part of the trip. I really don't remember much walking at all. Just short strolls done at a slow pace between zips ...maybe a minute or two in length. Maybe I don't remember because I was SO terrified at first :) That first step off of the first platform is the thrill of a lifetime. And, I only remember climbing on one or two ladders....but that was only a few rungs and it was not scary at all.

Despite my apprehensions, I ended up loving the whole experience (as did all of us) and I can't wait to do it again. Tell your husband that it is really easy and thrilling and fun!

Archived