Public beaches near FLL?

GetMeToABeach

Taking SAS after our Destiny cruise from POM back to FLL, but our flight isn't until almost 5PM. I'm thinking of checking our bags through Luggage Express so we won't have to deal with our luggage, having SAS drop us off at a beach in Fort Lauderdale, then taking taxis to the airport. Good plan? Is there a public beach close to the airport? Would it be easy to get taxis? (There will be five of us.) I just can't see sitting for hours in an airport when you are near the beach!! Thanks for your input...

Taking SAS after our Destiny cruise from POM back to FLL, but our flight isn't until almost 5PM. I'm thinking of checking our bags through Luggage Express so we won't have to deal with our luggage, having SAS drop us off at a beach in Fort Lauderdale, then taking taxis to the airport. Good plan? Is there a public beach close to the airport? Would it be easy to get taxis? (There will be five of us.) I just can't see sitting for hours in an airport when you are near the beach!! Thanks for your input...

I'm curious about this too since my flight doesn't go out until 3pm. Right now I have a car rented for for a little more then SAS costs but would prefer not to go through the hassle of picking it up and dropping it off. Please post if you get any ideas from somewhere else..:)

Beach Place in Fort Lauderdale would be a great place to go. There are always taxis around, there is a public restroom, and there are places to eat, drink, and shop. It's 6 miles to the airport, a $20-25 taxi ride.

Beach Place in Fort Lauderdale would be a great place to go. There are always taxis around, there is a public restroom, and there are places to eat, drink, and shop. It's 6 miles to the airport, a $20-25 taxi ride.

Thanks for the info! That sounds perfect. :)

Is this a beach or a shopping area? Just want to get an idea on what we will need, bathing suit or sneakers?

It looks like a shopping area ON the beach. Best of both worlds! :)

http://galleryatbeachplace.com/

Correct. There are not a lot of shops, but there are a few beach clothing stores, kiosks, and CVS. Beach Place is right across the street from the beach and is a popular tourist attraction. For several blocks south of there you will find other shops, bars and restaurants too. If you are driving there, the lot off Las Olas Blvd before the bridge is $1.75/hr on meters (bills and credit cards accepted), which is well-priced and about 2 blocks from the beach.

Steve from SAS told me this:

You can go to downtown Ft. Lauderdale on Las Olas Blvd as there are lots of restaurants and shops and it is a very fun area. I go there a lot.

It is only a short taxi ride from the airport and I do believe that area will make a nice afternoon for you until your flight home

and my PVP suggested this:

http://www.downtownhollywood.org I think is their website. The downtown area is neat too – but the boardwalk is priceless – from way back in the 50’s are most of these structures and they have neat restaurants – you’ll find nick’s on the beach (stone building) at Johnson and a1a – there they have a covered parking garage, inexpensive maybe 5 bucks?? – and you can go up and down the boardwalk – there are tons of different restaurants. Nicks’ is surf and turf and not bad bloody mary’s!

we are thinking of a car rental instead of transport so we can see a little more and stop along the way. With 5, its really not much more then SAS and then you won't have to pay for luggage express or a cab to the airport.

I was thinking of renting a car, but I think we'd still have to do luggage express unless we could get a vehicle that could hold 5 people and 5 suitcases.

Thanks, everyone!

we are renting a minivan. We are 5 women with luggage and didn't think we'd really fit in the Mustang convertible. ;). I got a code for Thrifty online from the Florida or Orlando tourism and after all the taxes I'm paying less then $100. They shuttle from the POM to their office near the airport and there is a dropoff location in the FLL airport. Figure it would be better to drive and stop along the way then get dropped off at the airport and sit there for 4 hrs with nothing to do. I'm going in October. When you going? I can let you know how we make out...

we are renting a minivan. We are 5 women with luggage and didn't think we'd really fit in the Mustang convertible. ;). I got a code for Thrifty online from the Florida or Orlando tourism and after all the taxes I'm paying less then $100. They shuttle from the POM to their office near the airport and there is a dropoff location in the FLL airport. Figure it would be better to drive and stop along the way then get dropped off at the airport and sit there for 4 hrs with nothing to do. I'm going in October. When you going? I can let you know how we make out...

Wow that's a great deal! I'll have to look into that- definitely cheaper that shuttle+luggage express+cab fare.

We leave in 24 days!!!:D

Wow that's a great deal! I'll have to look into that- definitely cheaper that shuttle+luggage express+cab fare.

We leave in 24 days!!!:D

On Avis I used the code UJ and don't have any idea where I got that. On Thrifty, I used PASS24 and that was the one from the Orlando Tourism. All you need to do is print up the Orlando Magicard if that works. Not sure if both these codes work still but give them a try. Also you can google codes and hopefully find one that your eligible for.

Good Luck..please come back and let me know what you decided to do. I'd love some ideas...:D

A large group of women are going on a cruise and the same situation applies...ship due in at 7:00AM no flight out until 6:00 PM. These ideas are great, but what is SAS? I am trying to find a way to get luggage taken care of as usually the airlines will not let you check luggage until about 3-4 hours before your flight...at least that has been my experience.

Carol

A large group of women are going on a cruise and the same situation applies...ship due in at 7:00AM no flight out until 6:00 PM. These ideas are great, but what is SAS? I am trying to find a way to get luggage taken care of as usually the airlines will not let you check luggage until about 3-4 hours before your flight...at least that has been my experience.

Carol

SAS is a shared ride transport out of FLL. I have hired them to pick me up at FLL when I arrive precruise and bring us to our hotel in South Beach. They are also picking us up at the Port and returning us to FLL for our return flight if we decide not to rent the car. I think for over 4 people, its $13 each way per person. Really not a bad price when you consider the service, the distance and the cost of a cab. Thats why we are thinking of the minivan. We can drive and store our luggage while we eat, walk and/or shop leisurely to FLL. Sounds like a nice relaxing way to end our vacation. Good luck.

Archived