Oceania needs to learn PR

FRMACST

We were on the insignia cruise from Rio to Manaus that departed on 2/14/05. We purchased an arrival transfer from the airport to the ship for $140.00. Since I took a deviation and flew from Chicago to Buenos Aries and then to Rio and I was arriving late afternoon, I requested and received a faxed confirmation from Keli Schneider who is the Product Development Coordinator of Oceania Cruises. When we arrived in Rio there was no one there and after waiting for awhile (thinking the driver might be late) I went to the information desk at the airport where wonderful young lady tried to help me by repeatly calling the local agent whose number is listed on the itinerary. No answer.

By then it was almost a hour after the time we were to be picked up, when I saw another young lady with a Oceania Cruise tee shirt and I asked her if she could help. She called her office and was told our name was not on the list to be picked up.

She recommened taking a taxi and straighten everything out on the ship which we did. We got our luggage load and went to the port where we got on the ship. By the way the taxi fare was $20.00 plus I gave out about $15.00 in tips to the driver and porters helping us load the taxi and getting our luggage on the ship.

On the ship we were told to speak to the concierge, Paul Goodenough, about what happened. He had to check with Miami and was informed by the Destination Manager that while my shipboard account would be credited for the $140.00, I would not be reimbursed for the taxi and tips in the amount of $35.00, since I had to get to the ship anyway. Its not the money, it is the principle. Personally I think they should have credited my account $100.00 for the inconvience and aggrevation. By the way I never even got an apology.

When I got home I called guest relations and after two weeks and more calls I am still waiting to hear from them

We still had a great time. The ship, crew, food and service was wonderful. If the occasion arises we would still go on the Oceania.

I Agree With You That Oceana Is Not The Most Accomadating Company To Deal With. My Husband And I Book A Room On The Insignia And One Week Later Decided To Upgrade To A Suite. Well We Did And Recieved A Suite Number And Thought All Was Fine. But When It Came Time To Pay The Balance Of Our Bill We Were Told We Were Not In A Suite After All. So They Said They Would Give Us First Priority To A Suite I Said Fine And While I Was On The Phone Another Oceana Agent Booked The First Priority And I Was Out Of Luck This All Happened While I Was Talking To The Agent. So He Said That He Would Put Us On The Wait List. Well We Are Going Ahead Suite Or Not And Will Have A Great Time.though Oceana Could Learn A Little In The Pr Division. Geez

"When I got home I called guest relations and after two weeks and more calls I am still waiting to hear from them"

I have waited as long as THREE weeks for a 'customer service' rep. to return my call! Love the ship board experience, but their Miami office needs to be 'upgraded' ASAP.

I have waited as long as THREE weeks for a 'customer service' rep. to return my call! Love the ship board experience, but their Miami office needs to be 'upgraded' ASAP.

From my experience with most lines, they all have issues such as these. I think the industry as a whole really needs to focus on the experience BEFORE and AFTER the cruise, rather than the one a customer has just ON the ship.

Guest Jancruz
"When I got home I called guest relations and after two weeks and more calls I am still waiting to hear from them"

I know I am getting repetitive..but your TA has a much better chance of getting you a call back than you do..If every person that booked an Oceania cruise called the 800 line..even once..the agents and staff would never get any work done..

Why is it so important for you to "do it yourself"?:(

Jan

You wrote in part:

When we arrived in Rio there was no one there and after waiting for awhile (thinking the driver might be late) I went to the information desk at the airport where wonderful young lady tried to help me by repeatly calling the local agent whose number is listed on the itinerary. No answer.

By then it was almost a hour after the time we were to be picked up, when I saw another young lady with a Oceania Cruise tee shirt and I asked her if she could help. She called her office and was told our name was not on the list to be picked up.

Same thing happened to us in Buenos Aires.. we arrived and there was NO one there to meet us from ship transfers.

Spent 45 minutes wandering around the airport trying to find someone who could assist us.

Finally a gal with Oceania on a sign appeared and told us that we were not on her list so she called someone and said .

"Oh, your travel agent didn't give the ship the information and they didn't put your names here on my list and I have to wait for a while for the 8 people who are on the list to arrive"

.... I told her I didn't care about her list, of course my travel agent gave them the information and to call someone and get us a transfer which we had paid for or put us on her list and in the bus she had and take us to the hotel . She stood there looking at us like it was some difficult task.

the others showed up, finally, Of course the others had been on our flight ..arrived when we did. so where were they? They finally showed up

had been wandering around looking for her too..

and we got in the bus after all...it was totally ridiculous.

This is why we always book our own arrangements for transfers and tours..dealing with this sort of thing really starts you off on a bad note..esp. after 20 hours flying the last thing you need is to have to deal with folks with "lists" lol

Archived