1st cruise jitters & questions

darkangel_55

My boyfriend and I are taking our 1st cruise from Philly to Bermuda on 4/24. I know that the Crown is a small ship, and that doesn't bother me, what is worrying me is the fact that we booked cabin 8015. It is a AG mini suite with an obstructed view. It is not in the middle of the ship and I am concerned that I am going to get sea sick. Does Bonine work? Do I have to take it every day? What exactly is in it? Also, AG mini suites do not have a refrigerator. I plan on bringing a case of my flavored, carbonated waters with me...first off...this is allowed right??? If so, is there an ice bucket in the room that I can fill up to keep a few of them cold at a time?

I have been reading these boards at least once a day and have found a lot of useful information on different things. I know that there are more questions that I want to ask, I just can't remember them right now. Any suggestions or answers to the above questions would be GREAT though....

Thanks a LOT :D

My boyfriend and I are taking our 1st cruise from Philly to Bermuda on 4/24. I know that the Crown is a small ship, and that doesn't bother me, what is worrying me is the fact that we booked cabin 8015. It is a AG mini suite with an obstructed view. It is not in the middle of the ship and I am concerned that I am going to get sea sick. Does Bonine work? Do I have to take it every day? What exactly is in it? Also, AG mini suites do not have a refrigerator. I plan on bringing a case of my flavored, carbonated waters with me...first off...this is allowed right??? If so, is there an ice bucket in the room that I can fill up to keep a few of them cold at a time?

I have been reading these boards at least once a day and have found a lot of useful information on different things. I know that there are more questions that I want to ask, I just can't remember them right now. Any suggestions or answers to the above questions would be GREAT though....

Thanks a LOT :D

First just relax and yes bonine works but you have to take it before you fell bad. I would take on the day you depart. If the seas are calm forget it the next day or have one more. Take one again before you leave Bermuda.

I have not been on the Crown but I know you can get all the ice you need for sparkling water that you can bring onboard

Someone told me Bonine works with the inner ear...not sure how it works but before I discovered it, I used to dread sea days. Now I take one before I leave. 2 on sea days (morning and evening)and still take one a day in port.

It has made me enjoy cruising that much more because now I make it to dinner no matter what. My husband used to have to go by himself.

I gave a supply to my daughter and her fiance last May for their first cruise and they had no seasickness problems.

Enjoy....but beware...cruising can become addictive!;)

For motion sickness you can try the Sea Bands and/or Ginger capsules. I believe you can get them in the USA. The Sea Bands (approx $12) go on the wrists and work on the pressure points. They look like the wrist bands for exercising. Boy but they do work. The Ginger capsules are herbal and won't interfere with any medications. I have a very weak stomach and I have sailed on 17 cruises using them and I have never felt sick.

Happy cruising

or you can get meclizine (sp?) from the purser's desk (at least you could on the Majesty). Beware -- I don't believe this ship has stabilizers (like the Majesty) and the Atlantic can be quite rough crossing the gulf stream -- especially in April. I had never cruised before, and we took our first cruise on the Majesty in October 2000. We rocked and rolled in 24' seas -- but surprisingly, I wasn't sick at all. So I guess it all depends on the person. I would say if you get car sick sitting in the back seat (or on a bus) I'd take the bonine before you get on the ship, and every day while at sea like SRUTKO1226 says.

Have a great first cruise! And save your money for the next one... and the next one... and the next one... :D

We were on the Crown and an upper deck. It was one of the smoothest cruise we ever had...it as all modern ships has stabilizers. The Crown was made with longer cruises in mind. You won't have a problem. You will have a great room with a conceirre...enjoy it. We loved the Crown except that it is small especially aorund the pool...

I just want to thank all that have answered. :D I usually don't get carsick in the backseat, and never on school busses when I was a kid, so I really hope I don't get sea sick. I think that I am going to take it anyway, from the day before to the last day, just to make sure my first cruise is a memorable one for the right reasons, and not because I was laid out sick all week! ;)

Thanks again!

I think the majority of people don't get seasick, at least no one in our family does (luckily). Even my daughter who frequently is carsick is never bothered by the 'motion of the ocean.' (I get motion sickness from watching video games but not from the ship.) I find it rocks me right to sleep & I miss it once we arrive back home again. Of course, it's always better to be prepared & a few bucks spent on bonine or sea bands is worth avoiding a missed meal!

I think that I am going to take it anyway, from the day before to the last day, just to make sure my first cruise is a memorable one for the right reasons, and not because I was laid out sick all week! ;)

This is an excellent plan (it's exactly what I do). You won't be sorry. Bonine has been a miracle for me. Now I want the ship to rock--great for sleeping.

That ReliefBand looks like a great product, but holy cow...it's EXPENSIVE. At least by my standards $135US:eek: . Of course, this is at our local WestMarine Boat store. And we're in Canada....

Sandy

Look on ebay-they have them new at great auction prices. I won't cruise without it. While I'm not prone to seasickness-I have been and never want to be again. This knocks it out even if it's begun!

I got mine on sale at http://www.drugstore.com but that was before I knew about http://www.ebay.com

In the past seasickness was a terrible problem for me but it has been solved by taking Dramamine "Less Drowsy Formula". One pill works for 24 hours. I take it before going to bed at night. It has worked wonders for me. The harshest test was a trip between Cozumel and the Mexican mainland on a ferry, and it worked like a charm.

You are going to have one of the sweetest room stewardeses in the fleet.

Tell her hello from sir james.

There is very little roll on the Crown.

Pitch, yes but not roll.

BTW, the Captain is a pretty great guy as well, as is Hannah the concierge.

My fiance and I are leaving for a cruise on 4/3 on the Dawn and we got the "patch" from our doctor. It goes behind your ear and its supposed to be great. Our dr said he was fine the whole cruise when he used it. Its a prescription though

fin:Thanks for the info on the captain & concierge.

I was talking to my aunt the other day and she said that bonine has always worked for her. I am just going to stick with that.

Thanks again to everyone with comments and suggestions! 28 more days!!!!!!

I used the patch a few years ago and I will never use it again. I had every side effect possible that was labelled on the box. It ruined my cruise. I do not wish them on anyone. I guess I was the exception. They work for others, as I have seen many people on cruises using them. As it is a drug, it stays in your system for approx 3 days after taking it off. So beware.

I got a bit anxious on my last cruise and took a xanax that I usually take when I fly. It worked for me. The Bonine works great too and the ship's doctor has stuff in case you forget to bring something. My Mother and my friends had the wristbands. You can find some inexpensive ones at RiteAid. Anyway, those worked for them as well.

Archived