Live from the Victory 07/31-08/07

dettlja

Hi Everyone,

This is my first review, so please be gentle ;) I will have spotty internet while still on the ship, so I apologize in advance if it takes me a while to post pictures and/or answer questions.

So, here we go...

We took a red-eye from Phoenix to Charlotte and then Charlotte to San Juan. I'll never take a red-eye to save money on a hotel room again. We were soooo tired when we arrived in PR. Our flight arrived about 12 noon and we had Carnival Pier transfers. They were easy to find and we didnt have to wait for a bus or anything.

We got to the pier where we had to stand in line to show ID to the port staff. The people with luggage then gave their luggage to a porter and we headed inside the terminal. Since we are in a suite we went to the VIP check in. While DH checked us in, I checked out the shops and bought some water and diet coke. FYI, in San Juan it comes in an 8 pack. Makes it tough to bring on 12 :cool:

Cont...

We were trying to avoid going to CVS, but the terminal shops didnt have any white zinfindel wine, or any type of blush wine for that matter. So we grabbed soda and water and headed onto the ship. The lines to get on were all the same. VIP saved us about 10 min. We stood in line while they checked every single bag. The security was very tight. They were re-exraying about 1/2 of the bags and the people in front of us had to throw out 2 bottles of water because they had been opened. Security didnt care what you had, as long as it wasnt open.

We then headed up the gangway to the Carnival employees. They scanned our sail and sign, took our picture and didnt bat an eye-lash at our soda or water. We were on the ship by 1:30pm.

We grabbed some lunch on Lido... and FYI, there are still trays on the Victory.

And second FYI, there are signs everywhere telling you to use a fresh glass at the lemonade/tea dispensers. I saw that come up on a thread somewhere, so I figured I'd mention it.

After lunch we dropped off our bags. We have a suite this time and OMG is it nice! I'll never be able to go back. We've got 3 or 4 power outlets and a shower we can both fit in. Its amazing!

We unpacked, met our room steward and checked things out. We were so tired from the red-eye that we took a nap.

Headed to dinner at 6pm, which caused us to miss the sunset :mad: We have anytime dining, so lesson learned. Service was very, very slow. Beverage service was non-existant, so tonight we will bring the bubba-keg of lemondae to drink at dinner. I had some sort of fish which was "ok" and Paul had the flat iron steak. He thought it was excellant and the mac and cheese was outstanding. Dessert was Creme Brulee and WMCC.

(Gotta go watch for runners, so I'll finish this up in a few!)

Crap! I just realized I've got to finish typing before the ship leaves port or I'll lose my internet!

FYI Havensight pier has wifi for 9.99 a day. Its called Choice Hot Spot and I could pick it up from my room on the ship. Sure is a whole lot cheaper than using ship service. Hopefully I can find something similar at the other ports.

After dinner we just bummed around until muster. We were soooo tired. I actually fell asleep standing up at the muster drill. We got back to our room and our bed was turned down, but no chocolates, no fun times and no towel animal!! :eek: I was sorely disappointed!!

Day 1- St Thomas

We headed to Coki beach to scuba dive with the Coki Beach dive club. After room service waking us up 15 minutes early (at 545am!), we were showered and ready to go by 730am... we walked down and found the taxi dispatcher and we were put right on an open air taxi. We dropped off people at red-hook and sapphire beach and then headed to Coki. The beach was beautiful! The dive shop took good care of us too. Cant beat a 2 tank dive for $70. We were done diving about 1pm so we headed back to the ship. This time the taxi took us the other way and we got to see the famous K-mart.

We had lunch on the Lido- no lines. The ship was like a ghost town. We headed back to the room where I discovered I could get online to my hearts content for ten bucks! And I've been here ever since. Anyways, its time for sail away. I will update again when I can get a connection!

I downloaded an app that has all web cams and saw the Victory in St. Thomas before I headed to work. We are doing this cruise in February so I will be reading your review with baited breath. Great reading so far! Did the iguana chase you? We were in Coral World back in 2008 and they chased one of our group for a bit. It was hilarious!

Sent from Starfire_rules' iPod Touch

I downloaded an app that has all web cams and saw the Victory in St. Thomas before I headed to work. We are doing this cruise in February so I will be reading your review with baited breath. Great reading so far! Did the iguana chase you? We were in Coral World back in 2008 and they chased one of our group for a bit. It was hilarious!

Sent from Starfire_rules' iPod Touch

Where's that app? I'd like to know so I can download it also.

Archived