Caye Caulker - Beware of the Flies

Hawaii697

I recently sailed on the Dream and several of us ventured over to Caye Caulker. We ended taking a speed boat over which was the highlight of our trip. Beautiful blue green water . . .

However, when we arrived at "The Split" . . . we were invaded by flies and bugs. It is fly season right now. I was bitten so bad that I could have been a stand-in for Will Smith in Hitch. One local told us fly season would end sometime in October.

A few of us did go swimming in the swimming area, but after 10 minutes of being eaten alive, we headed back to the ferry drop off point. We had about 2 hours to kill, so we did walk around a bit, checked out a gift shop and then hungout at a bar. Turns out we could swim where the speed boat let us off. Jumping off the pier was pretty cool. The water was like bath water.

Are you saying you would recommend staying where the tender drops you and not taking an excursion?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

No, not the ship tender, but where the speedboat dropped us off at Caye Caulker. Unless you want to snorkel, I would not recommend Caye Caulker. Another couple that took the speedboat with us to Caye Caulker, went another 10 minutes to San Pedro and absolutely loved it. Much more beach.

We were there last sept. and spent about two hours at the split on Caye Caulker, reading mostly and didn't see a single bug or fly! We do always have strong bug repellent in our backpacks on any shore excursion just in case we need it.

We were there last sept. and spent about two hours at the split on Caye Caulker, reading mostly and didn't see a single bug or fly! We do always have strong bug repellent in our backpacks on any shore excursion just in case we need it.

I glad your experience was much better than mine.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently sailed on the Dream and several of us ventured over to Caye Caulker. We ended taking a speed boat over which was the highlight of our trip. Beautiful blue green water . . .

However, when we arrived at "The Split" . . . we were invaded by flies and bugs. It is fly season right now. I was bitten so bad that I could have been a stand-in for Will Smith in Hitch. One local told us fly season would end sometime in October.

A few of us did go swimming in the swimming area, but after 10 minutes of being eaten alive, we headed back to the ferry drop off point. We had about 2 hours to kill, so we did walk around a bit, checked out a gift shop and then hungout at a bar. Turns out we could swim where the speed boat let us off. Jumping off the pier was pretty cool. The water was like bath water.

Thanks for the heads up. Which company did you use for the boat, these guys? http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/

We used Coral Breeze and they are great. This Sept. we are using them again for Bannister Beach and boat snorkel. One difference is that Bannister seems to be about a 15 minute ride, and Caye Caulker is about 45 minutes.

We were just there as well (last week) but didn't make it to the Split. Only walked around a bit and went to the Happy Lobster for lunch. No flies and we really loved the experience. Also went with Coral Breeze. Can't say enough good things about our trip. Belize wound up being our favorite port.

Laurie

We were just there as well (last week) but didn't make it to the Split. Only walked around a bit and went to the Happy Lobster for lunch. No flies and we really loved the experience. Also went with Coral Breeze. Can't say enough good things about our trip. Belize wound up being our favorite port.

Laurie

So glad to hear that! I will be in Belize a week from today and I am using Coral Breeze for the Cay Caulker snorkel. How was the tendering experience? Did you have plenty of time to get back to the TV and then catch a tender back to your ship?

We're going next week too. We booked through Coral Breeze. I feel confident that they will get us back to the dock in plenty of time to get on the tenders.

What ship and day will you be in Belize. We are aboard the NCL Spirit and will be there on Thursday.

• 1 month later...

Flies are the reason my husband vowed he will never step foot on Caye Caulker again!!!! We were there in September of '09....we were staying in Ambergris and did a day trip. Bugs everywhere at Caye Caulker....but virtually none in Ambergris! We'll just stay away from CC, but can't wait to go back to Ambergris!:)

Archived