Valor: The Longest Review Ever!!!

oceantravel

1) If you want to have chairs, you HAVE to save them. It's just the way it is. Get over it people. People won't stop doing it, so ya gotta do it to SURVIVE!!!:eek:

If everyone would follow the rules no one would HAVE to save chairs!

2) I dont think that was the longest post ever. There was one guy who took up 6 FULL posts. It was insane. :D Not too mention the people that create websites

Whats wrong with people creating websites....you know....this post could be seen by some as someone just trying to start things.....just a thought:confused:

I think I was on the same cruise as the original poster. Everything seemed pretty accurate. I would like to add that I was on the Riviera deck in the extreme back (AFT) of the boat and whenever we came into port it felt like there was an hour long earthquake in our room!! No exagerration. I don't think this affects that many rooms but I would be cautious if you get assigned a room in that area. I also heard the first comedian was terrible (at least his early show was) but his R-rated show, which I went to, was better. I know someone who went to both shows, he said his clean performance was terrible but the R-rated was a big improvement. The 2nd comedian was very good. I thought the Valor Idol competition was very entertaining. 2 more things, think twice if you need to visit the Doctor, I was there for literally 2 minutes and got charged $60!! Finally it is a zoo trying to get an elevator to the 3rd floor to leave on the last day...Many people end up taking the stairs.

Thanks for your additions.

Patti-

When are the formal nights? We're planning on renewing our wedding vows on Tuesday (30th anniversary) and planned on staying dressed up for dinner if the timing works out.

-Mike

_

Hey Mike how nice!!!! The timing should work out for you! The first foraml night is early in the cruise on Monday night. Hopefully that will work with your plans. You are in Nassau that day.

The second formal night is Friday.

I would like to add that I was on the Riviera deck in the extreme back (AFT) of the boat and whenever we came into port it felt like there was an hour long earthquake in our room!! No exagerration. I don't think this affects that many rooms but I would be cautious if you get assigned a room in that area.

Valorcruiser...do you mind telling me which cabin you were in? We're sailing 5/22 and in 2412 and 2416, port side, pretty close to the aft of the ship. we're also worried, regarding that location, about noises made in the Galley above interfering with getting a decent nights' sleep. any thoughts on those things? thanks!

When are the formal nights? We're planning on renewing our wedding vows on Tuesday (30th anniversary) and planned on staying dressed up for dinner if the timing works out.

Mike,

Congrats on your anniversary and even if it's NOT formal night, stay decked out in your dress clothes...who cares what other people think. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed any day. :) It's a special occasion.

Valorcruiser...do you mind telling me which cabin you were in? We're sailing 5/22 and in 2412 and 2416, port side, pretty close to the aft of the ship. we're also worried, regarding that location, about noises made in the Galley above interfering with getting a decent nights' sleep. any thoughts on those things? thanks!

It was the very last room, all the way in the back, on the starboard side. I think it was 14??. We didn't hear any noises from above just the sounds and vibrations from below. The non-port days were fine. In a way it wasn't so bad b/c it forced us to get an early headstart on the islands but i thought it was something people should know about. It's pretty much impossible for anyone to sleep through and if you ask your PVP they'll say there isn't any noise back there which isn't true.

Valorcruiser- I just found out that we are on the Riveria deck near the aft. We are about 10 cabins for the back. Did you feel much movement (rocking or swaying)? I am a little worried about sea sickness.

It was my first cruise so I'm not an expert on what part of the ship rocks the most. I can say though that our room was no worse, and maybe a little better than the higher floors. The high decks toward the front seemed to be the worst. I think you can get free motion sickness pills in the infirmary should you need them. It's located on floor zero in the front of the ship.

Just curious why you would save chairs for 5 hours with no one in them...doesn't sound fair to the other passengers. :rolleyes:

I like the RCCL idea. Take their stuff!

I meant it was on the Valor that chairs were saved for 4 hours . Someone would come out at 6 then go back to bed. That really irritated us. Royal Carribean does it right.

I meant it was on the Valor that chairs were saved for 4 hours . Someone would come out at 6 then go back to bed. That really irritated us. Royal Carribean does it right.

OH! That makes me feel better. Sorry I misread your post. I agree I wish Carnival did what RCCL does. Was there any problem finding chairs on RCCL?

Thanks for the info...

We usually don't dress up too much, but will for this occasion! (I've also lost over 100 lbs. and I'm really excited about cruise. New clothes and a great attitude!)

Mike

Oh Mike....I am so happy for you. I being one that fights my weight every day.... takes my hat off to you. Sincerely, those who don't fight this battle can never understand. You must feel like you have a new life. I will use you as my insentive.

Patti

If everyone would follow the rules no one would HAVE to save chairs!

Whats wrong with people creating websites....you know....this post could be seen by some as someone just trying to start things.....just a thought:confused:

Trying to start things? Are you kidding me? Someone is a little over sensitive I would say...come on Patti....Can you tell me WHERE I said something was wrong with it?

If everyone would follow the rules, youre right, no one would have to save chairs. What world do YOU live in? In MY world, not many people follow the rules....

Thanks for starting stuff though patti, made my morning nice and feisty.:D

Patti-

You mentioned in your review that your husband rented his tux onboard and picked it up when you arrived. I've been checking it out and I can rent one cheaper locally, but then will have to transport with me... :(

Overall, the cost difference might be worth just getting it on the ship. :rolleyes:

How did it look? Did he rent any extras items? (Shoes, shirts, vests) Total cost? :confused:

Thanks

_

Great review. We were on Valor back in February and haven't had a chance to post a review yet. I thought the ship was very nice. We were on the Western itinerary and did not notice the movement of the ship at all. For those who do have problems with motion sickness, you can get Dramamine from the Purser's desk or room service in addition to the infirmary.

My husband always rents a tux. It is much easier than lugging one halfway across the country and back. As long as your measurements are dead on, the tux looks great! The ship's rental tux comes with two shirts. He has never had a problem with any missing parts of the tux.

In Feb. we didn't notice any musty flavor or odor in the Lido deck water. I hope that was just a temporary problem that has been fixed.

BTW, Patti, one of our favorite places on the ships is the deck outside the lobby. We were disappointed a couple of years ago to discover there were no chairs on this deck on Legend. It is a wonderful place for a little siesta and fresh air.

We have never sailed the same ship twice, yet. However, I would sail on Valor again in a heartbeat.

Hi, I just got back from the Valor on the Western itinerary. It was really awesome! When I am not so tired I will write a review. Just to reiterate a few points: deck chairs are impossible to get, but we managed to get them late in the morning 11:00 anyway. We found stacks of chairs on the upper, upper decks and just brought a few down and placed them right in the middle of the action. On another day we grabbed some regular chairs and sat while we scoped out a group of chairs that were saved with towels only. After 30 minutes we took the towels off and made ourselves comfortable. We never did see the people who were "saving" them. We had two cabins on the main deck, my husband and I in one and the kids in the other. We were pretty aft and the vibration was AWFUL!!! It rocked pretty badly at times and the seas were calm. I also noticed this in the dining rooms which were above us and also the upper decks. I did notice more movement on this ship even when it was very calm seas. The ship was completely booked because of spring break and we didn't really have a choice of better cabins. Do not book during spring break if you do not want to be around partying kids, drinking and smoking and loud. We had fun but others may not be happy. The food was pretty good in the dining room, a 3 on a 1-5 scale. Never very hot, but good. Rosies was good and the deli is great! Scarlett's was awesome!! My steak was better that I have had at Ruth Chris, Mortons, etc. Very elegant and well worth the money. Water did have a strange taste so I just ordered bottled. Shows were really good and Valor Idol on the last night was a lot of fun. I will post more later!

Patti-

You mentioned in your review that your husband rented his tux onboard and picked it up when you arrived. I've been checking it out and I can rent one cheaper locally, but then will have to transport with me... :(

Overall, the cost difference might be worth just getting it on the ship. :rolleyes:

How did it look? Did he rent any extras items? (Shoes, shirts, vests) Total cost? :confused:

Thanks

_

My husband received: the tux (jacket and pants),

cummerbund, bow tie, two shirts, shoes, cuff links for I believe $90. When ordering you have to specify that you want shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

No my kids are all older...16, and 18

I will say though, when my kids have cruised Carnival before they loved Camp. The best advise I can give you is that your children go to the meet and greet that is held by the camp counselors...usually the first night. That is the key to them meeting people their age and having a great time.

Patti,

thanks for the great review. We are sailing on the 4/10/05 so it really helped !

Hi Patti! I was on your cruise on 4/10! My husband and I had a wonderful time. We thought the food in the main dining room was very good. The feature show (Far From Over) was spectacular! The other shows/comedians were just ok in our opinion.

Unfortunately, the most exciting part of the cruise was the "Code Bravo" at 3:00 a.m. Apparently some guy decided he wanted to die and jumped off the ship. The rescue people were deployed and he was saved! I think they could have done a little better job telling everyone what happened, because people were just spreading rumors the next few days anyway.....

I do have a little gushing to do... The Cruise Director Josh Riffe was FANTASTIC. I mean, honestly, I don't even care what he's responsible for and if that was any good (shows, etc.). He's just so darn entertaining himself that it didn't even matter to me what he was introducing! I just wanted more of him! My poor husband had to deal with my little crush on Josh all week, but he was a good sport about it. Mark my words, Josh Riffe is going places. I half wish I'd have gotten his autograph 'cause I know he'll be famous one day. The last show of the trip was "Valor Idol" like American Idol. Josh was the emcee, and I'm convinced he'd be better and infinitely more entertaining than Ryan Seacrest.

Anyhoo, the rest of the cruise was as good as you'd expect a cruise to be. Sorry for the lack of detail, I just wanted to tell the jumper story and gush about Josh for a while. He's TOO cute! :-)

Archived