Dunn River Falls

Scants

Ok I have read many reviews about Dunn River Falls and after one read I am totally scared to climb it and then I read another review and I am like ya I can do that. Is Dunn River fall a very dangerous and hard climb? Should I do it? Do I have reason to be scared?

My husband and I went several years ago with a ship sponsored excursion. It was beautiful, and not "hard" to climb. They assign a guide for a whole group of climbers. You hold hands with two people (one each hand), and climb up rock like steps in the water. Several places along the way, the guide asks if you want him to take your picture, and you get in the middle of the falls, (not deep), and he takes all the cameras and snaps away. We got a lot of great photos. You will need water shoes, which we took from home. I have heard they rent the shoes there, but I'm not sure about that. We are not highly athletic people, and we didn't have a problem. However, we are going back in three weeks, and taking my mother. She's 84, and we will not have her climbing inside the falls, but she will walk up the outside steps by the waterfall, because we want her to see it. I think if you decide to get out of the falls early, you can walk all the way up along the side. I highly reccommend this tour!!! When are you going to Ocho Rios?

The only dangerous parts are there can be some slippery rocks or little holes under the water. If you just go where the person in front of you went you will not have a problem. It is one of those things "you must do" at least once. If you don't feel you can do it or you want to get out you can do so at several points along the way. There are stairs out of the water to stairs leading up the side of the falls. You should have no problem at all. Take the suggestion above and bring your own water shoes. They can be rented for $5 if you need to, but they are worth it.

Ok I have read many reviews about Dunn River Falls and after one read I am totally scared to climb it and then I read another review and I am like ya I can do that. Is Dunn River fall a very dangerous and hard climb? Should I do it? Do I have reason to be scared?

Let me tell you about my experience <g>

I fell in the parking lot, tripped over a curb no less. Split my knee open and scraped the heck out of my hands. The first aid station took care of me and then off I went and climbed the falls. When I got back to the ship, I had to get a couple of butterfly stiches, and now I have a permanent scar souvenier from Jamaica LOL

If I can do it, at age 40 no less, with all that, then you should have no problems. Just beware of the venders when you try to get back to your bus...

We just climbed the falls a couple of weeks ago... our 2nd time. Our teenage son accompanied us, and had a blast! He was a bit scared at first, but came to really enjoy the adventure!

As was mentioned above, if you are on a guided tour (which I would recommend... those climbing alone were hard pressed to get in the "easy" climbing area due to the amount of guided folks), you hold hands and are basically a human chain going up. There will be times you will slip... that is a given. My husband did and cut his elbow, but not badly. But, the thrill of getting to the top is well worth the effort, and possible scrapes!

If you start the climb and decide it IS too tough, there are exits along the way. You can leave the falls, itself, and climb via the DRY sidewalk/steps that follow it up on the left side.

Give it a go... you won't know unless you try!

Let me tell you about my experience <g>

I fell in the parking lot, tripped over a curb no less. Split my knee open and scraped the heck out of my hands. The first aid station took care of me and then off I went and climbed the falls. When I got back to the ship, I had to get a couple of butterfly stiches, and now I have a permanent scar souvenier from Jamaica LOL

If I can do it, at age 40 no less, with all that, then you should have no problems. Just beware of the venders when you try to get back to your bus...

and those mean curbs.... :eek: :D

Take a look at my pictures, if I can do it, you can too!

http://community.webshots.com/album/228996137uRpEIm

We didn't use the guides and did just fine. We liked going at our own pace and if you get "stuck" at any point someone will help you out, even if you aren't using a guide. There were many nice fellow climbers who helped each other out. You'll be fine and you will have a blast. I would do it again in a minute!

Do wear water shoes of some sort (we used the cheap ones from Target, about $5), and bring water cameras. We used the Fuji ones from Wal*Mart for about $7.99 each. Be sure to know where your foot is going before placing your weight on it. Sometimes you can't see under the water and you could be stepping on sand, rocks, or into a hole. Take time to sit in the pools and enjoy the water too!

I would use the guide. He made it so much fun. He knew the good spots for fun and photos. We even had a water fight. You don't need water socks. Bring old sneakers that you don't mind getting wet. We did and had great traction. It is a climb, not a walk on the beach, but not exhausting. I am easily scared, but this was not that scary. The bottom part (where you start) is the hardest. The top half is the easiest. I am so proud that I did it. I have a bruise on my shin, and a scrape to show for it. Hopefully not a permanent souvenier. :)

We were in a group of several 40 somethings, teens, pre teens and some 50 somethings. We all made it, with a smile on our faces.

Archived