snorkel to wrecks from shore,Carlisle Bay

waterbabyfish

I would like to snorkel to the wrecks off Harbour lights and or Browns bch. My question is ,which beach would be the closest to see a wreck from snorkeling from shore, we all are very good swimmers? We plan on taking a bus or cab and getting off at Bay street esplanade. Any input greatly appreciated.

I'm gald you aked this question, as I will be spending a day at Harbour Lights and love to snorkel. I wonder how far the swim out to the wreck is? We will be drinking champange and beer, I'm sure, as it is our 25th anniversary....:p

I did some research and found out they (wrecks) are 100 yds out and in 25 ft. of water, I guess you'll see dive boats out there. It is also a law in barbados you have to have a floating dive flag, I have one, But we won't be there till nov.

I did some research and found out they (wrecks) are 100 yds out and in 25 ft. of water, I guess you'll see dive boats out there. It is also a law in barbados you have to have a floating dive flag, I have one, But we won't be there till nov.

Did some checking also Will be there in Jan. The Beawyn is 100yds out in 20ft, the Ce-trek is in 45ft, Eillon in 55ft, the Bajan Queen in 35ft, Connwallis in 15ft, a barge in 12 ft.,The Friars Crag in 55ft, and is 1/4 mi out. Most info came from Dive barbados Blue shop Map and info and are off Carlise Bay beach and, Barbados Shipwrecks info

Paul

Some of those sound doable, I guess the best thing to do is to look for the dive boats and just swim in that direction. Thanks a bunch!:)

Planning to do the same. Am looking at Dive Barbados blue dive shop located at the Hilton and they have a 2PM turtle and wreck snorkel tour. This might work for me for we plan to do a shore snorkel with the turtles at Paynes beach and then move over to Carlise bay beach for the Afternoon.

Paul

Jonh & Mary who run Dive Barbados Blue are the best! You won't be dissappointed!

Thanks Kevin and Cheryl. How is Mesa now. We lived in Sierra Vista AZ. for 15 years until the company move to Maryland 7 years ago. Ready to return to AZ. The only good thing is that closer to the Carib.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I did snorkel the two wrecks closest to the beach in Carlisle Bay...

My husband and I went to Harbor Lights where we rented chairs for the day. From there you can take a short walk down the beach (to your left when facing the water) and you will see a line of buoys that mark the wreck sites. There are locals who run a snorkel tour from the beach that will take you out by boat to the wrecks for about $15us but the sites are within swimming distance of the beach. It is a ways out and there was some current the day I was there. I would say you need to be a confident swimmer in order to be comfortable with the distance. My husband chose not to go with me that day because he wasn't feeling well - had a bad cold - and he is a stronger swimmer than I am. I wouldn't recommend the swim from the beach if you have been drinking, the local boat tour may be a better choice for you in this case.

Hope this helps. Carlisle Bay is beautiful and one of the wrecks (the older site) is definitely worth the trip. There is alot of variety of soft corals and plenty of fish with the occasional turtle.

Can you rent the floating dive flags, or should I try to buy some before my cruise? How about fins, available for rent?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

I didn't see anyone using the floating dive flags. To avoid any interaction with boats I just swam along the buoy line knowing the boats wouldn't come too close because of the possibility of getting tangled in the line. I don't remember there being anywhere to rent any kind of snorkel gear on the beach. I brought mine with me. I would think with the small local boats offering the snorkel tour to people on the beach the beach properties may not rent gear because it would cut into the profits of the boats but.... Anyone else know for sure?

• 2 weeks later...
I did snorkel the two wrecks closest to the beach in Carlisle Bay...

My husband and I went to Harbor Lights where we rented chairs for the day. From there you can take a short walk down the beach (to your left when facing the water) and you will see a line of buoys that mark the wreck sites. There are locals who run a snorkel tour from the beach that will take you out by boat to the wrecks for about $15us but the sites are within swimming distance of the beach. It is a ways out and there was some current the day I was there. I would say you need to be a confident swimmer in order to be comfortable with the distance. My husband chose not to go with me that day because he wasn't feeling well - had a bad cold - and he is a stronger swimmer than I am. I wouldn't recommend the swim from the beach if you have been drinking, the local boat tour may be a better choice for you in this case.

Hope this helps. Carlisle Bay is beautiful and one of the wrecks (the older site) is definitely worth the trip. There is alot of variety of soft corals and plenty of fish with the occasional turtle.

Did you see any Turtles there?:)

Did you see any Turtles there?:)

Yes! I did see a turtle there swmming over the older wreck. But this is not the "swim with the turtles" experience you hear about. We had gone on a catarmaran trip where we swam with the turtles and it was alot of fun. The guides feed the turtles and the turtles expect it so they gather around when the boat shows up. The experience at Carlisle Bay was very different. More natural and a real wow moment for me because of the surprise of seeing the lone turtle just swimming along. Loved it!

ScubaJune,

Do you think my kids 7 and 9 would feel comfortable swimming out there? They've snorkeled before and would have life vests on.

Hi Gecko12,

In my opinion I would have to say no. There is current, alot of boats moored and anchored in the area, and it is quite a distance from shore. For me, I would be way too nervous swimming out there with children. You might want to consider hiring the local tour guide boats. They were, I thought, pretty reasonable at $15pp (they may be willing to negotiate a discount for the kids or for a larger group). The guides walk along the beach recruiting so all you have to do is say you want to go and jump on board. They provide the gear too if you need it. I think this would be a much safer option for children.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Hi Gecko12,

In my opinion I would have to say no. There is current, alot of boats moored and anchored in the area, and it is quite a distance from shore. For me, I would be way too nervous swimming out there with children. You might want to consider hiring the local tour guide boats. They were, I thought, pretty reasonable at $15pp (they may be willing to negotiate a discount for the kids or for a larger group). The guides walk along the beach recruiting so all you have to do is say you want to go and jump on board. They provide the gear too if you need it. I think this would be a much safer option for children.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

That's a great idea! I'll be happy to pay to take the boat. Thank you!

Archived