Visas for China and Hong Kong?

anjo

Hello Cruisers,

Would someone who Knows, or has done the Cherry Blossom Cruise with Princess be able to offer some Advice?? Not sure what visas we need for Hong Kong and China. Princess say only need Single Entry but a lot of conflicting advice from Travel Agencies and the Chinese Embassies both in N.Z and Australia!! I don't want to have to pay for a Multiple Entry Visa if its not needed but I also don't want to be in the situation where we won't be able to get off cos we don't have the correct paperwork!! We are on an Aussie and E.U. Passports. Thanks in advance. Anjo. :confused:

Hi Anjo,

We did the Cherry Blossom in March. We didn't need a multiple entry visa but the trap comes with Hong Kong. Some cruisers went to Maccau and this tour excursion constituted the need for a multiple entry visa. If you are only going to Shanghai and Beijing a single entry visa will do. Princess will not organise these for you so will have to organise before you go.

Ted

Hi Anjo,

We did the Cherry Blossom in March. We didn't need a multiple entry visa but the trap comes with Hong Kong. Some cruisers went to Maccau and this tour excursion constituted the need for a multiple entry visa. If you are only going to Shanghai and Beijing a single entry visa will do. Princess will not organise these for you so will have to organise before you go.

Ted

Dear Ted,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. As you will know we are visiting Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dalien and Beijing. Everyone seems to be being advised to get Multiple Visas and both Princess and my Travel Agent here in N.Z. say this unnecessary! Someone on our Roll Call told me of their World Cruise last year when people with the wrong Visas were confined to their cabins! We have already been to Maccau so that won't be a problem. I believe that we don't need a visa for Hong Kong so if all else fails we will still be able to get off there. Did you enjoy the cruise?? Any Highlights, Pitfalls Tips? Once again thanks for your help. Regards Anjo.

Anjo,

No problems. You are right, you don't need a visa for HK. We were advised that if you visited the Chinese mainland from HK then the first visit took up your "single entry" visa so you needed a multiple entry one. The couples who did Maccau and only had a single entry visa, were confined to the ship. Another couple, did not notice that the dates on their Chinese Visas were wrong. When you apply for the visa, you are advised to allow a 30 day period around the expected dates you are to be in Shanghai, Dalian and Beijing. If you visit outside of this timeframe, you are not allowed off ship. We had a few Kiwis on our cruise and we were surprised at how much your visas were:eek:. My interpretation is that if all your ports in China are visited in consecutive days without leaving Chinese waters, than the single entry visa is the only one required. Alternatively, if you went from Shanghai to Pusan and back to Dalian, you would need a multiple entry visa. Hope I haven't confused you:) Be mindful of the fact that Princess were not very sympathetic, for obvious reasons, as it was apparently quite difficult to liaise with our Chinese counterparts.

In respect to our cruise, we had a great time, but unfortunately ours co-incided with the earthquake in Japan so we didn't get to see the Cherry Blossoms after all:(. As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise anyway. Princess made it up to us by visiting Beijing instead. HK was defintely a highlight as we ended up doing Disneyland on the first day and then shopping the next before sailing. Ancient Water Village in Shanghai was also a must see. One of the pitfalls in some places in China is the lack of western style toilets. My DW Irene is blind so this caused some dramas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tedirene. Thanks for your info. No turning back Visa Wise posted app for Single Entry after much To and Fro-ing with Princess and N.Z. Travel Agent. No-one wants to take responsibility if something goes wrong. [ I can't understand why it is sooo hard, it isn't as though its the 1st time they've done this Cruise] Managed to get an e-mail from Princess stating Aus and N.Z. passports only require Single Entry but don't expect they will stand by it if anything goes awry!!! Noticed you pulled the plug on World Cruise next year and one of the issues was the Sun was looking TIRED? Is it that Bad?? Kind Regards Anjo.

Hi Anjo,

Just few little things. A lot of maintenance work being done getting rid of rust, especially on the port side. There was one area on the rail above where the Icecream stand is that was a reasonable size rust hole. Not that we have a lot of cruising but the Sun was just not up to the standard we had become used to on Princess. One thing though, could not complaint about the staff - they were absolutely wonderful!

If I can provide any advice please don't hestitate to let me know.

Ted

Archived