3 days in Bermuda....what would you do?

dongordon

CaroleSS -

Here’s how to put your to do list together. Group everything that is in close proximity to each other together, and then take a look at them. Here’s is how I would group them & do them; someone else may do it differently & that’s good. There is no right or wrong way.

Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse; Horseshoe Bay (with a leasurely walk to the other beaches); Sea Glass beach near the Dockyard

Fort St. Catherine; Tobacco Bay; Walking tour of SG (World Heritage Centre, Tucker House, Unfinished church, Old Rectory, St. Peter's Chruch)

Crystal/Fantasy caves; Swizzle Inn

Fort Hamilton

Some questions first. Will you swim & sunbath at HSB or the other south shore beaches, or it this just for photo ops? Will you snorkel or swim at TB, or it this just for photo ops? Will you visit both caves?

Will do the easy one first - Fort Hamilton. It is located about a 15-20 uphill walk form the cruise ship dock in Hamilton. I would do this early in the day, any day, before the heat of the day sets in.

Next - Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse; Horseshoe Bay (with a leasurely walk to the other beaches); Sea Glass beach near the Dockyard. If you did FH early, I would consider taking an outbound route #7 bus to HSB. Do the beach path and exit from Warwick Bay to the bus route and take the outbound route #7 bus to Gibbs. After you are done at Gibbs, walk to the bus route and take the outbound route #7 bus to the sea glass beach. When you are done there, walk or take the outbound bus to the Dockyard. From there, take the ferry to Hamilton.

Now it gets a little more difficult. If you tender into St George then: Fort St. Catherine; Tobacco Bay; Walking tour of SG (World Heritage Centre, Tucker House, Unfinished church, Old Rectory, St. Peter's Chruch). I would do these in this order – walking tour, TB & FSC. I would arrange the walking tour so that you end with the unfinished church which is on the route to TB. Check the closing time of FSC. Do not worry about catching the last tender back to the Veendam. Take a bus (route #10 or #11) from SG to Hamilton and meet the ferry there.

On the bus ride to Hamilton, you could consider stopping er route at the SI.

If the Veendam goes straight to Hamilton and skips SG, then I would take a route #10 or #11 bus early on the first or second full day to get to the caves at opening which is at 9:30am. Tour one cave only and then board any outbound bus going to SG (route’s #1, #3, #10, or #11).

My assumptions are that all the beach visits are photo ops. If that isn’t true, you will have to make adjustments. Remember, you have a finite amount of time; spend it wisely and you’ll see a lot more. Also, you will notice that I did not provide time for lunch breaks.

There is a map of Bermuda here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30045372 in post #8 that has locations of all of your to do list.

There is a sateillite photo of the beach paths in post #2 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1386806

There are bus directions to the sea glass beach & satellite photo in post #2 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350162 These directions are from the Dockyard but you'll be heading to the Dockyard but the destination is the same - Royal Navel Cemetery.

I will welcome any and all comments, corrections or changes.

SBtS

SBtS - you are a saint! As always, thank you SO much for your valuable information!!

Under 'normal' circumstances, the beach visits would be our time for sitting on the beach and communing with the sun/sand gods. I think that when you go on vacation, you do the things that you cannot do at home….I can sit on the beach (poolside) at home. SO, that means that if need be, our beach visits may be transformed from vegetate to photo ops!

We certainly would like to see the beautiful beaches, but historical or scenic activities may ‘outrank’ beach-time!

I guess 4 days really isn’t enough time to do anything other than get a taste of Bermuda. Guess that leaves things for us to do on our next visit, eh??:cool:

Archived