Regular mask with corrective lenses?

BIG_Steve

I'm sure the answer is "No way." But........

Bought a nice mask that I use for snorkeling a couple of years ago. I was using contacts at the time, I don't/won't wear contacts anymore. I will spend the money on a mask for lenses if I have to. But I really like my mask, is there a kit, or some good home-brew way to fit an old pair of lenses in my mask?

go online and see if your mask is the same shape as the lenses which you can buy by strength-about $25 each from 1-6. think it is diver dan's that has live chat for info. your local dive shop could pop the lenses in or you might be able to buy the lenses there. SO much better to have them....worth getting a new mask to be able to use these lenses. underwater isn't like driving,etc. close enough to your rx is good enough. no need for expensive rx lenses.

I wasn't clear on corrective masks. I thought the mask had two lenses with a hollow space in between to put regular lenses. I see now, that that's not the case.

Guess I'll go to a shop and price a new prescription mask, then compare it to the cost of adding them to my old mask.

Thanks for the links.

Not all masks have RX lenses that will fit them. Try bringing your mask to your dive shop. They will know if the make and model of your mask has RX lenses. It really makes a difference (this coming from someone who has a -6.5 lens yup pretty nearsighted)

Not all masks have RX lenses that will fit them. Try bringing your mask to your dive shop. They will know if the make and model of your mask has RX lenses. It really makes a difference (this coming from someone who has a -6.5 lens yup pretty nearsighted)

That's the plan, thanks. I have pretty nasty nearsightedness, with nasty astigmatism. If it weren't for modern material, my glasses would be 6 inches think and weigh a couple of pounds :D:(

I went to prescription dive masks website followed their directions then sent my mask to them. 30 days later I received back my mask fitted with bi-focal lenses matching my prescription. I`m near sighted too and the end result exceeded my expectations.

Hey Big-Steve, DH just got a prescription mask from Divers Direct. He is blind as a bat and it works great. They took a regular mask he bought from them (now he has 2) and fitted in lenses based on his eye doctors RX. The lenses were $25 each (I think) and can be changed out as his RX changes. They did it on the spot so there was no wait or turnaround time for it. Good luck.

I went to my local eyeglasses "shop" and asked about prescription masks. They said to provide the mask and they would ship it off. I bought this mask http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_958/Context_954/Sort_Brand/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d740/XSSMZQ.html?Hit=1

It's actually 4 lenses, great peripheral vision, clear silicon (like no mask there). I even got little round bi-focals put on the inside bottom of the mask so I can read my gauges when diving.

Got the mask on sale for $40 and the prescription in the mask, mask cleaned, and fog spray, for $140.

Don't know how I lived with contacts so long....

Archived