East vs Western Caribbean-HELP!

kat1528

:eek: Trying to decide on which Glory Cruise for this summer.

East- Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin West-Key West, Belize, Progresso, Cozumel. We've been only to Nassau & Cozumel -didn't like Nassau loved

Cozumel. Traveling w/ large family -children from 4-17 turs. old, grandparents.

ANy help would be great!

Well I'm sure you're going to get a split of people preferring either one. We personally prefer the eastern run. I'm with you, I can do without Nassau but we love St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I've being to Belize and was not impressed - I've heard the best way to see Belize is through a land vacation. I like Cozumel, can do without Key West and haven't been to Progresso so I can't speak for that. We're going on the Glory 4/30 - the eastern run and taking our kids. They love the beach so that is where we'll spend our port time. It depends on what you're looking for. Beaches I'd say eastern, shopping eastern, sights and tours western. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll have a great time!!!

Yes..you will get many different opinions on this one so I'll go ahead and give mine. We still prefer the eastern. Took our first western last year and nothing wrong with it, but I just love the harbor view at St. Thomas and St. Marten. The mountains just coming right down to the sea. But Cozumel was nice..a bit disappointed in Key West. But you will enjoy either route. We will be taking our 8th eastern route as opposed to the one western. Guess you might say we are in a rut..but a nice rut! Have fun!

I've been on 20+ cruises, both Western and Eastern. I will always choose an Eastern cruise, if given the choice. St. Thomas (and St. John) offers so much for all members of the group. Whichever you choose, have a great time!:)

Thanks everyone for your input-we're just a bit leary of

Belize and Progresso since we've not read a lot of good things

about these ports -our kids are pretty active and want to

do more than shopping. Progresso doesn't seem to have

much besides the ruins tour.

Why didn't you care for Key West? Is there much to do

in St. Thomas St. Martin? Thanks for any input.

I didn't like Key West, even did a land vacation there. The beaches are definitely nothing to write home about. I thought it smelled a lot like dead fish, all three times I was there! LOL

My DH made fun of me the whole time but I couldn't get away from that smell. I know I sound crazy!! St. Thomas has lots of things to do and unfortunately can't comment on St. Martin until after May. St. Thomas is a lot fun there are a ton of different things to do there.

St. Thomas has TONS of things to do - you can check Carnival's website for tours to get an idea. You could always book your own tours as well, look on the boards under destinations for lots of ideas. St. Maarten has the Dutch side (where you dock) nice shopping (and not nearly as crazy as St. Thomas), and the French side (where the top optional/nudie beaches are) and also the town of Marigot. Not a lot there but a cute, quaint little town. And both islands have beautiful beaches. I've been on 28 cruises, 2 western, 2 southern and the rest have all been eastern. It's just our personal favorite. Although "one of these years" I want to do a mediterranean cruise!

I've done both and prefer the Western as each port has a lot of things to offer.

On the Eastern, San Juan (in an evening stop) really didn't have much other than bars and nightlife so it wasn't really kid friendly. St. Thomas (and St.John) were fabulous and St. Martin/St.Maarten was fun but not as much fun as Grand Cayman and Cozumel which have so many optionsfor families.

Both east and west have their charms, and also their drawbacks. I like St Thomas and love St Maarten, and I've had enough of Nassau. I like Cozumel, bored with Key West after one visit, and Grand Cayman is okay. East seems too much like close to home, since we're on the east coast. When we go to the western Carib, we feel more like "we've been somewhere." Since you're traveling with kids, I'd let that be the deciding point and go for western route. Cozumel has great beaches, Grand Cayman has the sting ray city. Western itinerary has four stops, eastern only three, so there's more variety and adventure for the kids on the western route.

Archived