Parasailing at half moon cays have you done it

James&Rob

If you have parasailed at half moon cay please let me know the experiance did you enjoy it was it worth the price thanks Jame

I've done it twice, and loved every minute of it. It seems that on HMC, you get a bit more time up in the air than you do at other, more "public" beaches. Also, the fun is not just the parasailing, but the boat ride itself. They have about six or seven people on the boat and have to get them all some airtime within the hour. So the boat really makes tracks getting out into the open sea. Nice bouncy ride! :)

They make it really easy, and on my last trip we had a couple of 80+ year olds giving it a try. The crew is really friendly and they make the experience easy and fun. You take off and land directly from the back of the boat. To take off, you just sit down and they speed the boat up. As the sail gathers wind, you just rise. Real nice. When you land, they winch you back in and you touch down very gently. The crew then helps you out of the sail rig so that they can hook the next person up.

If you request the "freefall" option, right before the end of your ride, they will slow the boat down so that you begin to float back down to the water. They will wait until your feet are skimming the top of the waves and then speed the boat back up again to bring you back up. It's really nice.

Parasailing is not what I would call a "thrill ride." Rather, it's a peaceful experience. As you float high above the sea, you can actually hear bits of conversations taking place on other boats as well as on the parasailing boat. Has something to do with the acoustics and how sound waves bounce off the ocean.

It was worth every penny in my opinion, and I am only sorry that it will probably be quite a while before I get back to HMC to do it again. My HAL cruise for next year is Pacific ocean, so we don't stop at HMC. :(

Blue skies and enjoy!

--rita

Hi!

I have always promised myself that I would do this one day; however, last year I had back surgery. Now I'm wondering if it is something I should cross off my list for good. My back is better since the surgery-I'm almost back into shape-but I was told to always be careful with lifting, ect.

What do you think, Kryos? Your description makes it sound WONDERFUL! Except for the bumpy boat ride, sounds like maybe I could keep it on my list!

rocks

I have never done it--can't swim

Himself

You don't need to be able to swim. You don't even get wet. :)

Seriously, though, you are fitted with a life jacket before you put on the rig for the parasail. You shouldn't need it, but it's a good thing to have ... just in case. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi!

I have always promised myself that I would do this one day; however, last year I had back surgery. Now I'm wondering if it is something I should cross off my list for good. My back is better since the surgery-I'm almost back into shape-but I was told to always be careful with lifting, ect.

What do you think, Kryos? Your description makes it sound WONDERFUL! Except for the bumpy boat ride, sounds like maybe I could keep it on my list!

rocks

The actual parasailing is very tame ... like I said, there were a pair of 80+ year olds on the boat doing it last August.

I wouldn't rule it out, however this is a decision that only you can make. You have to consider how your back will handle the bumpy boat ride ... I can't explain how it works ... but like the front of the boat hits a wave and the back of the boat slaps down. Not real bad, but it could get bumpy. Like I said, we had senior citizens in the boat who handled it fine.

The other thing you have to consider is the landing. I have yet to experience a bad one, but I would imagine it's always a possibility and it's something you have to think about. You are winched back into the boat, so it is very controlled. You could also tell the guy you are going to go down in a seated position and that will be fine. I always stood the landing up, and found it very, very gentle ... and believe me, I have "compromised" legs with extensive orthopedic hardware in both of them.

Now, I will say that I've done the HMC parasailing twice, and I had major surgery on both legs in January '99. Broke both femurs in a really bad skydiving accident. I had no problems with the parasailing at all.

But, you'll have to decide if this is right for you based on your own unique circumstances.

Blue skies ...

--rita

For taking the time to describe it so well. I REALLY would love to do this & now feel like it still might be possible. I also wondered if the landing might be too much of a jolt to the back. But if you did it after breaking both legs! Not sure if I will ask my back surgeon for permission....

Thanks again!

rocks

Archived