Just off Freedom 7/31-8/7 with food allergic child

jrdh

Hello, thought I'd post a quick review and answer questions. We had a Fantastic trip! We have twin 7 year-olds, one has a peanut/tree nut allergy and has an epi-pen. I filled out the appropriate paperwork prior to the cruise and crossed my fingers. Well, it was FANTASTIC! Keron was our waiter in the MDR for dinner and did a great job of keeping our daughter safe. When we went in the MDR for breakfast, I was sure to get a supervisor, as the assistant waiters were not very helpful. (our assistant at dinner was Great, however!) There was a Great Chef (i wish i knew his name) in the Windjammer that I would see everyday and he would go in the back and get her a plate of whatever she wanted, so that it was not contaminated on the buffet line. Also, Adventure Ocean was very knowledgeable about the epi-pens as well. So, it went very smoothly for us, and I will be happy to answer questions.

As far as the rest, it was great! we were diverted to the western route because of the tropical storm, which was a little disappointing, but we ended up swimming with stingrays and dolphins, so that made up for it! The boat is beautiful, not too big, not too small. Tons of stuff going on all the time! And the kids LOVED Adventure ocean and the spray park! The character breakfast was cool and they loved the Dreamworks Parade the last day.

They are pretty strict in the MDR for breakfast, my husband was not allowed in with a nike shirt that has no sleeves. Not really a tank, but whatever.

Overall, a great time! Ok, ask away...

• 2 months later...

We are doing FOS in January with twin 3.5 year boys.

One has a peanut allergy.

1) What is the food situation like in Adventure Ocean, do they generally prohibit food?

2) If not, how are snacks monitored/given?

3) Also, does anyone know if they will hold an epi-pen while the child is there, in case of emergency? (We leave one at daycare and they know how to administer, etc.)

4) I assume the medical staff is well equipped with the basic drugs necessary for allergic reactions....true?

We are doing FOS in January with twin 3.5 year boys.

One has a peanut allergy.

1) What is the food situation like in Adventure Ocean, do they generally prohibit food?

2) If not, how are snacks monitored/given?

We were on Freedom a few years ago with a 4yo (no allergies). They didn't have snacks during the first two sessions of the day, but the last one (6-10pm I think) usually had a fruit tray, maybe with some cheese. It looked like the kids could just make their own plates, or the staff would help them, but it was just a "party tray" type setup, not prepackaged. My older dd was in the next group, and they didn't have the fruit tray - not sure if they didn't need it because they were older, or if there was someone in the club who shouldn't have whatever.

Archived