Questions for rascalious

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my embarkation at PR question. I followed the link in your signature, and you have BEAUTIFUL pictures of the cruise we're doing next week!

I have a few questions from looking at your pictures:

There are pictures in Curacao labeled "Curacao Beach Break Tour". Which beach is this, and how was the sand on the beach. Would you recommend this beach for snorkeling or wadding?

You have GORGEOUS pictures of Trunk Bay on St. John. How did you get to trunk bay on st john? Which ferry did you take, or did you do a ship excursion? If you were on your own, what time was the ferry that you took to return?

Thanks in advance! :D

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my embarkation at PR question. I followed the link in your signature, and you have BEAUTIFUL pictures of the cruise we're doing next week!

I have a few questions from looking at your pictures:

There are pictures in Curacao labeled "Curacao Beach Break Tour". Which beach is this, and how was the sand on the beach. Would you recommend this beach for snorkeling or wadding?

You have GORGEOUS pictures of Trunk Bay on St. John. How did you get to trunk bay on st john? Which ferry did you take, or did you do a ship excursion? If you were on your own, what time was the ferry that you took to return?

Thanks in advance! :D

The Curacao Beach Break was booked through RCI, so I don't know if they ever told us the name. We boarded a boat right after we got off the ship and they took us about 15 minutes South . I remember there were a few hotels that fronted the beach area and the swimming area was protected by a large man-made "break" (large rocks). We did not snorkel, but did notice several scuba divers beyond the man-made break.The sand was excellent! We mainly relaxed, waded, and had several drinks from the beach bar. I think we had to pay for the drinks. Amstell Beer is big there and cost a couple of bucks. I am sorry I don't remember more as we were there in 2003.We did observe some topless sun-bathing, so this may affect you - or not. You could just take a taxi to a nice beach and do the same thing on your own. Check the port of Call board for Curacao and look through some threads for suggestions on nice beaches.

As for Trunk Bay, we did all the excursions on our own in 2004, as we felt like we knew our way around better. Also, we received a lot of great advice on these boards. If you get off the ship as early as possible (remember, you will go through Immigration on the ship in St. Thomas - about 7:30 AM), take a taxi to the Red Hook Ferry. This is about a $18/ couple cab ride. but only about a 15 minute ferry ride to St. John (about $3.00 each). This allows you to beat the ship tours by about an hour (they leave from Charlotte Amalie where the ship docks). That is a 45 minute ferry ride! So it is worth it to drive to Red Hook and get to St. John early. We were the first people on the beach at about 9:30 AM.

When you get to Cruz Bay at St. John, grab a cab to the St John Beach. It is part of the National Parks Service, so an admission fee is required ( day pass about $7, per person, but I am not sure). They have food and alcoholic drinks for purchase). It is absolutely one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. They have an area for snorkeling with a marked course to follow. Descriptive signs are placed every few yards on the bottom (under water).

The beach begins to get more crowded about 10:30, as the ship tours arrive, but still not unbearably so. I would do as suggested, and go on your own. Pay close attention to the return ferry times. You will probably want to catch the ferry back to Charlotte Amalie ( this is where the ship is docked) - about a 45 minute ride an $7 each, as I recall. I will try to find and post a ferry schedule.

Here is a schedule. You want the Red Hook - St. John schedule for going over and the Charlotte Amalie - St. John (leaving from Cruz Bay) schedule for your return. We took the 9:00 AM over and the 1:15 PM back. We were dropped downtown for shopping and then headed back to the ship. Just be back on the ship well before sail away! You can also shop right near the ship at the Havensight Mall. Hope this helped you!

Archived