Charleston port advice:

ncbigdeal

Hello,

I've been reading some of the threads here regarding the boarding process at the port of Charleston. It all seems unnecessarily complicated to me with 2 or 3 200 yd. shuttle rides back and forth across the parking lot...

We live pretty close and will be driving in on the morning of departure, and I really would like to get off on the right foot. I know I'll be anxious to board and while I'm pretty easygoing, bureaucratic red tape never fails to irritate me.

Would there be any advantage(not only in terms of time, but also less hassle) to parking away from the port, and taking a cab to the terminal?

If I do park at the port, how long should I expect to wait in line from the time I arrive to the time I am out of the car?

At what point does "VIP check-in" help? Sounds like there are 2 lines prior to getting to the carnival terminal...

What is the most hassle free way to get through this? I'd rather pay a little extra, and even take a few minutes longer than be herded around!

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I took a cab to the cruise terminal and it was very easy:

They checked our passports upon arriving at the port. The cab then drove us right to the luggage area. There was a bus that took us to the terminal. All this took about 8 minutes, maybe less.

The wait for security check was the longest ... about 12 minutes. If you have VIP, there will be almost no wait to check in. If not VIP, expect about a 15 minute to 30 minute wait in line to check in.

Once checked in, it is the typical walk through the terminal, photos, get your card, etc. About another 5-10 minutes.

From the time we arrived in the cab to the time on the ship, less than an hour. It is really not at all confusing. I cruised out of Miami and it was a 3 hour line after line to get on the ship.

Oh, and our luggae was in our room about 3 hours later. Well before dinner time.

There is no benefit to parking away from the terminal and taking a cab to the port you will still have to take the shuttle.

The shuttles run continously and there are 15 buses and they don't wait for them to fill up before heading to the terminal.

Archived