VERY early flight with 2.5 yr old!!

cruisergirl79

We are going on a Southern Caribbean cruise in September with our 2.5yr old (his first cruise).

How did you all deal with very early flights? Our flight leaves Toronto, Canada at 6:15am arrives Atlanta at 8:45am. That means we would have to leave home about 4am :eek:, I'm not sure if I should just take him (in his PJ's) to the car and if he wakes he wakes if not, put him in a stroller later and change him at the airport when he does wake? Or put him to sleep in his clothes the night before?

Any suggestions?

TIA

At that age I used to put my girls in their comfortable travel clothes the night before so all I had to do was transfer them from bed to car seat and then to stroller. Of course they often became wide awake right away anyway because of the excitement about the trip, but it was one less thing for me to do in the morning. I'd also have some kind of breakfast packed and ready for when they woke (cereal bar, milk, zip loc with cereal, etc.)

Best,

Mia

Our first flight with DS2 was a 6am from Montreal to Cuba, so we had to wake up at 3am, catch a hotel shuttle and be at the airport for 4am :eek:

He was 2 and his older brother was 4.5 yrs. Both wore their pjs to the airport, and we had a set of clothes in our carry on bag. They decided to fly in their pjs ;) We too had dry cereal and snacks in our carry on, once we boarded the plane the staff provided us with mugs, spoons and milk for the cereal. We changed them into summer clothes on the plane, which worked out well because it was *hot*.

We have another early flight this year too and will be doing the same thing even though they will be 4 and 6.5 yrs. I'm all about keeping my kids happy when travelling!

Edited to add: With a 6:15am international flight, won't you need to be at the airport 2.5 hrs early? Depending on where you live, that means leaving home around 3am. At least the Toronto traffic is good at that time of morning :)

Our first flight with DS2 was a 6am from Montreal to Cuba' date=' so we had to wake up at 3am, catch a hotel shuttle and be at the airport for 4am :eek:

He was 2 and his older brother was 4.5 yrs. Both wore their pjs to the airport, and we had a set of clothes in our carry on bag. They decided to fly in their pjs ;) We too had dry cereal and snacks in our carry on, once we boarded the plane the staff provided us with mugs, spoons and milk for the cereal. We changed them into summer clothes on the plane, which worked out well because it was *hot*.

We have another early flight this year too and will be doing the same thing even though they will be 4 and 6.5 yrs. I'm all about keeping my kids happy when travelling!

Edited to add: [b']With a 6:15am international flight, won't you need to be at the airport 2.5 hrs early? Depending on where you live, that means leaving home around 3am. At least the Toronto traffic is good at that time of morning[/b] :)

To the States from Toronto isn't international, as long as we're there 2 hrs before that's fine. As far as I remember from other flights and when my husband worked at the airport, nothing is open before 4am. We live about 15-20mins from the airport, so leaving at 4 is fine (I tell myself that) LOL.

I will definitely take some dry cereal and granola bars for him for the flight.

I flew with DS when he was 21 months old on a very early flight (6 AM) and was at the airport at 3:45 AM. He wasn't happy getting out of his comfy bed, but stayed awake thru the car ride and at the airport. By the time we got to our seats on the plane, he was exhausted and slept the whole way to Florida, which was nice! :) Good luck, OP!

My kids are a little older but last year when my boys were 6 and daughter 8 we had an early flight to Cancun. We had to be at the airport by 4:30 am and I was worried about dealing with 5 cranky kids.

I did what everyone else already suggested, put them in their travel comfy clothes to bed. Then on the way to the airport we stopped by McDonalds for breakfast (a treat for them) so they could have something to look forward to.

Once we got to the terminal there were a lot of empty seats due to the early hour and they could spread out and relax.

All of our flights are that early. So I feel your pain. We are always leaving the house at 3 or 4 in the am. I have done it both ways, put them to bed in their travel clothes AND simply dressed them at 4am.

Let me tell ya, once they hit the car, THEY are back out. The problem is us. We always have to drive the 3 hours so I have a habit of not going to bed till 1am (too wired - yes I am too excited too sleep). Then I have to get up at 3am and out the door to drive for 3 hours. :eek:

Worry about yourself - not him. He'll be fine, I assure you. :D YOU will be one with problems. :p

I have done both as well with my son- now 51/2.

Pj's to airport and changed when we got there and dressed him in travel clothes for bed.

I agree I always end up with 2-3 hours of sleep the night before and am like a zombie for the travel day.

My son on the other hand loves waking up " in the middle of the night" as he puts it and going to the airport!!!:p

I can't complain though because I'm getting up at 3am on Sat to fly to NOLA to board Carnival Triumph:D

My goal is to be packed by Friday, so Saturday just do clean up around the house and add things that I forgot to pack the day before. Yes I "plan" on going to bed early Saturday night, we'll see if that happens. I get very excited before vacation, so I might not get the sleep I want and need!:D

How are your kids on flights? do you get tired by the time they board, or are they wired by then?

My DD gets wired due to the new situation. I just have the portable DVD player queued up with the latest favorite character and we are usually good to go. She never gets to watch the DVD player so it is still a novelty. She usually sleeps once we make it to the hotel for check in (or the cruise once the room is ready.) We have often only sent one parent to the disembarkation talk. she sleeps right through the loud room noises, which I have no idea how, but she does.

Archived