Which Zipline and who did you use?

World Gallery

We can't seem to find enough info about the zipline options. We are going on the RCCL which docks in Falmouth. The ship offers two and each one has different weight and age limits, so they have to be in different places. I think one is in Montego Bay and the other one is with Chukka sports that does theirs at Good Hope Planation. Has anyone done either one? The one with Chukka can only be booked with the ship.

Any experience with ziplining, good or bad, in Jamaica? Did you use a private tour or with the ship? Was there a lot of waiting around time to actually get onto the zipline or did the line move quickly?

This will be our first time with kids.

I ziplined with Chukka thru Carnival in Jamaica. I loved it. Really the lines are just the people in your group. You take a van trip into the country to the station. They give you a safety briefing, you gear up and off you go. Several ziplines and you are up in the trees. A couple of times you walk up some trails to get to the platforms, but part of it was just ziplining from one platform to the other. I am over 50 and plump and I had not problems. There were not that many people in my group. It was a blast.

The other option is at Mystic Mountain. A much shorter zipline experience. I have not done this, but you can get more info on the Mystic Mountain website.

Thanks for this info! I guess this zipline is the one at Good Hope Plantation, right? Do you remember how long of a bus ride it was to get there? I am considering doing it myself (my kids will definitely do it) but I am afraid of heights. Can you see the ground or do you just see tree tops?

Also, is it hard on the body (meaning, do you slam into the next platform?)

LOL I am extremely afraid of heights and I do this. It is not hard on your body. I am over 50 and over weight, and I was fine. You step off the platform (you do not see the ground) and you glide to the next platform. When you near the platform you are instructed to lift your feet to slow you down. There will be a guide standing there to stop you if you come in too fast, and if he can't stop you they actually have mattresses to stop you, even tho I never saw anyone get that far. LOL

You see the treetops. You do not look directly down at the ground; however, one platform was slightly slanted instead of straight, but only one, and I was fine.

You have to book Chukka thru Carnival. They have an exclusive contract with them.

It was at a plantation, but I do not remember the name of it. They picked us up in a van and the guide explained everything we were passing. I do think it took about 45 min. But I am not positive. I thought the ride was very interesting. I sat up front next to the driver on the return trip. We went on the first time offered and returned to the port at appx noon.

You and your kids will enjoy it.

Here is the website: http://chukkacaribbean.com/canopy.php

Thanks for the details! I think it probably was Good Hope. If it took you 45 min. and you were coming from Montego Bay (where you?), that sounds right. We are docking at Falmouth and if we go to MB, it will take 45 min. but if we do the zipline at Good Hope, it is much closer. Carnival doesn't dock at Falmouth, on RCCL (a new port for them).

Does this sound right?

• 3 weeks later...

We did the Chukka one through RCCL in Ocho Rios. I too am "fluffy" and did just fine, there are a lot of uneven steps on the way to the first line but once there it wasn't a problem. We did have one major issue with our van driver who never came back to pick us up and the Carnival's driver packed all 10 of us into his van and had to bring us back to the Chukka farm where our driver was (5 minutes from where we were)???. So we spent an extra 2 hrs in the rain forest and the rest of our day was ruined for any shopping in the port. We booked through the ship so I wasn't worried about being left behind but really irritated w/ the driver and he couldn't seem to understand why no one tipped him at the end. However the ziplining was one of the best things I have ever done, it's a thrill. Go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise ship zip line tour is done by Chukka Adventures, a cruise line sponsored company that belongs to a government guy (what a conincidence). I felt it way too overpriced for what it is and will look for a private tour the next time....looking at the way people live there, I do not think this money is going to the community or the people!

Archived