0, 5, 10, 15, 18%

This just about sums up the wildlife problem :D

That was funny, I guess I could do one for Arizona too....Lets see we've got diamond backs, sidewinders, mojave's, coral snakes, gila monsters, black widows, mountain lions,black bears, lobos, and coyote, and mule deer.... I think that is all our deadliest animals. They have spotted puma's here too with night cameras.

As you know we do not have a tipping culture; the problem is ...IMHO....... your accent...the staff would probably hesitate or wait for a tip, based solely on your accent.

The reason for this I presume is that many tourists from North America tip anyway because that is what you are conditioned to do and so it has become almost expected.

We will be visiting in a few months. In the post above, if the staff waits for a tip, how should I handle it? This is a big culture shock but I don't wish to feel like I'm being taken advantage of!

Why would anyone tip in Australia? Not only are all people on at least "Union award" wages - but everyone who has a job has to do their job properly to keep it. If I don't tip a clerk at the Post Office when I buy a postage stamp, why would I tip a waiter in a high priced restaurant?? Each is only doing the job that they are paid to do.

The problem I have with tipping in the US is the inconsistency of it all. Do people in the US tip the staff in McDonalds when they get a burger ? If not - why not?? If people in the US tip taxi drivers - do they also tip bus drivers. If not - why not??

I can imagine how crazy it seems to you...it's crazy to us also. The problem with raising our minimum wage in the US to something comparable to yours would be that tipping would STILL be expected!

As a Yank who has been there, just don't do it and all will be fine, no one will stand over your table with their hand out, if they do they would look mighty silly. Just take their hand and shake it and say "see ya!" as you leave. Really it just won't happen.

We will be visiting in a few months. In the post above, if the staff waits for a tip, how should I handle it?

...truly, won't happen :)

In keeping with the "when in Rome" theme (and I do feel safer asking this in an Aussie thread, where you visiting Americans seem keen to learn and teach ;)), I'd love a brief rundown on what you give (and whether dollars cash or added to credit card) at theme park restaurants, counter service, porters, drivers (say DME and DCL transfers), etc.

The ship'll be easy...

...truly, won't happen :)

In keeping with the "when in Rome" theme (and I do feel safer asking this in an Aussie thread, where you visiting Americans seem keen to learn and teach ;)), I'd love a brief rundown on what you give (and whether dollars cash or added to credit card) at theme park restaurants, counter service, porters, drivers (say DME and DCL transfers), etc.

The ship'll be easy...

dollars cash or added to credit card) at theme park restaurants generally, counter service or buffet, no tip or only one dollar,

sit down at at theme park is a different story, we did the Brown Derby, which was a full service gourmet restaurant at Disney MGM in Orlando, and of course this with three courses and wine was a tipping type of place. If you go to a place where a waiter takes your order and dilivers you food tip 10% if it just meets expectations, 15% if the server is especially helpful or mooring quickly to meet your needs. If they are over the top the best server you have ever had, then 18%, and if they should not be in the service industry at all, talk to the manager and only leave a minimal amount.

counter service McDonalds, In and Out, Chipoltle, all fast food or fast casual, an no tipping required or ever given.,

porters about one dollar per bag, but maybe more if he or she is especially courteous or helpful with recommendations ect. . ,

drivers (say DME and DCL transfers), etc. I am not sure what your mean, but we often have shuttle drivers to and from Airport parking or hotels, and I usually tip some where in the realm of $ per bag, but if I have a lot it might be only 2 or 5 $ total.

I am trying to think who else I might also tip, and the list is very short to include my hair dresser, nail tech, and massage therapist. There tips are in the 10% range.

Thanks!

drivers (say DME and DCL transfers), etc.

Sorry, that was Disney's Magical Express from MCO, free (less tip ;)) staying at WDW and Disney Cruise Line shuttle to Port Canaveral. Sounds like $5 (4 people / bags) wouldn't be offensively inadequate then.

Archived