port of anchorage car rental

kjoeb

I know both Enterprise and Avis have downtown branches in Anchorage. We did this cruise in May and reserved a car from Enterprise at their 5th Avenue location. We took the free shuttle from the ship to town and when we arrived at the Egan Center we called the Enterprise office and they came and picked us up.

The rental office and the Egan Center are both on 5th Avenue but they are out of walking distance. I called their local number and within 10 minutes we were on our way back to their office. We had a good experience with them and it was way more convenient and economical than renting from the airport. Sorry, I don’t have any information about the downtown Avis office.

I know both Enterprise and Avis have downtown branches in Anchorage. We did this cruise in May and reserved a car from Enterprise at their 5th Avenue location. We took the free shuttle from the ship to town and when we arrived at the Egan Center we called the Enterprise office and they came and picked us up.

The rental office and the Egan Center are both on 5th Avenue but they are out of walking distance. I called their local number and within 10 minutes we were on our way back to their office. We had a good experience with them and it was way more convenient and economical than renting from the airport. Sorry, I don’t have any information about the downtown Avis office.

thank you for the quick response. kb

We just retuned from our beautiful Alaska trip. Enterprise, on the other hand, was a nightmare. I booked a mid size SUV from the Anchorage Enterprise last summer for 49.99 per day for five days. As our trip approached I called several times to verify the price. I called once a week during the two weeks leading up to our trip. On the day we were getting our car, I called at 8:00a.m. to give them the name of our hotel. I again verified that they had our car and I was assured they did. They picked up my husband less than an hour after I spoke to them. He arrived at Enterorise to be told that there were no SUVs available and offered us a truck. We were four adults and five pieces of luggage plus it was raining. The same SUV that I had reserved last August was renting for 199.00 per day, so I'm sure they rented it out for a higher price. My husband came back to hotel and picked me up. After arguing for two hours and literally crying in the enterprise office, they gave us a van. I will also mention we weren't the only ones in there having the same problem. This was not the airport location. I would have a back up plan.

We chose to rent from the airport because we could have a later drop off time. I understand you can arrange for a late drop in town. We had a $49 unlimited mileage rate through AAA (about $64 with taxes and fees). We did have to get a cab at the port (about $25), but one was waiting when we got off the ship. I had mapped out three possible trips---north to Talkeetna, east to Palmer and to Seward. It was a beautiful day (74 degrees)and we went to Seward and then hiked Exit Glacier with many stops on the way. 300 miles later, we returned the car, got a cab and headed back to the ship. Because Anchorage is a secure port, our cabbies were not familiar with the port, but we didn't have any problems. It was an incredible day!

I just booked a car through Hertz in downtown Anchorage.Our ship docks in Whittier and the transportation transfers through Princess (not free) will get us to Anchorage. Both hertz and Enterprise have a pick up service which is great. I was able to book the car at a downtown location and return at the Airport for no extra charge. I also got a rediculously low rate. I have read that the further in advance you book a car , the lower the rate will be.

We are taking the cruise transfer to the airport and picking up the car there --we are using Alamo. Easier for us when we return for our flights home. There is Avis car rental at Whittier.

The OP's ship is actually docking in the Port of Anchorage. Yes a rare event that happens a few times this summer. It is a day port stop as the passengers reboard their ship and go on their way.

The Port of Anchorage is very industrial and is not a place to walk. HAL gives free shuttle rides to and from downtown.

Archived