Are there tour guides at the Canada ports?

We would prefer to do private tours as our experience with ship excursions have not been that great.

Are there tour operators/guides at the ports where we could pick up a tour to Peggy's Cove? Other ports are St. John, Sydney and Portland.

We would prefer to do private tours as our experience with ship excursions have not been that great.

Are there tour operators/guides at the ports where we could pick up a tour to Peggy's Cove? Other ports are St. John, Sydney and Portland.

In Saint John:

- personal tour: http://www.roystours.webs.com/

- local tour operator: http://www.freedomtours.com/shore-excursions-in-a-around-saint-john-new-brunswick

It is just the 2 of us and it seems the private tour operators charge by the hour no matter how many are in your group. That's great if you have several people but a little pricey for 2.

Have you gone to your roll call thread? There may be others organizing tours wanting more people to join their group. Our you could post that you want to do a private tour and others could respond that they would like to join you.

As far as Sydney goes, don't remember any unreserved tour companies waiting there.

We enjoyed a culinary walking tour in Portland and we don't even like to cook. You tasted some yummy things and walked all over Portland with a guide and about 8 people. She asked us about what we were interested in and adjusted the tour accordingly. Lots of interesting info on Portland, history, and even one stop that was beer tasting. Really a nice tour.

google mainefoodiestours for more info.

Another time we did a trolley tour that was a nice reasonably priced overview

http://www.portlanddiscovery.com

Halifax we have been there 3 times and enjoyed exploring on our own, but last time we took the ship sponsored Halifax and fishing village tour and were so happy we did. Normally I don't like the ship bus tours, but the comfotable bus ride was so informative the whole way down and back that I would do it again!

Sydney, it has been about 7 years since we were there and we took a ships tour to the Aleander Gram Bell museum and were kind of bored. That one may have been the one to turn us off of ship tours. Anyway it is a sleepy little town, but I do recall some older vehicles waiting holding signs that they would give taxi tours.

If you do a search on the Ports of Call - Canada page you will find many previous posts about what to do in the various ports and information about private tours.

From what I have read there will be taxis at the piers willing to give tours, but if you do your research you can pre book with a company others recommend.

For Sydney, renting a car is simple, economical and gives the best flexibility.

However, for Halifax you only need to rent a car if you are going outside the city. Many people spend the day on the waterfront area and there is more than enough to see and do.

I just returned from St John's Newfoundland on Sunday. I thought I would share this in case anyone is interested in seeing the "Must See" sights such as Signal Hill, Cape Spear, and some things in town, Government House, the Basilica etc... and does not yet have set plans. I did some touring with Lucille from Heritage Tours, she is the most gracious tour operator, lots of fun and very knowledgeable, has a 7 passenger van and is very reasonably priced. Here is a link to her website and email

lconway54@hotmail.com

www.newfoundlandtours.ca

Cheers,

Mary-Lynne

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am in the process of contacting the independant tours mentioned.

Can one book tours at the pier? Are there guides/vendors or booths set up at the pier at any of the ports?

Archived