Paradise Beach: room for 4-yr-old to play in sand?

PA_Traveler

Our cruise will be stopping in Cozumel on Dec 1, and I am thinking that Paradise Beach is a good solution for what I'm looking for. There will be three of us in our 30s/40s, one 4-year-old, and two in their 60s. The water toys look like a lot of fun for the 30/40-yr-olds, but my son is not ready for them and I know my parents won't want to do them either. So my question is whether there's enough beach area there away from the lounge chair area that my son will have room to play in the sand without being overrun by the people playing with the water toys. I say away from the lounge chairs only because he likes to have room to run around.

Also, our ship doesn't get into port until 1 pm, with three other ships scheduled to be there that day. Should I expect it to be really crowded by then?

Thanks.

We went to PB when my oldest was about that age, then again when my youngest was. It was perfect for them. Plenty of room for them to play around in the sand & at the edge of the water, and plenty of other kids in their age range to play with.

A few of the toys were small enough for them to play on, including a trampoline on land, a water trampoline, and the smallest of the water slides (water there was roughly 5 ft deep, shallow enough for me to stand but I'd suggest putting a life jacket on the child - they have them available for use at PB at no additional cost if you have the wristband).

I'd think PB would be perfect for your situation & age/activity range of your group.

There are some really nasty reviews on Tripadvisor lately along with the really good ones. If you take these into account when you make your decision, you'll have a better informed decision.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d574699-Reviews-Paradise_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

That's weird. Reviews written within just a few days of each other are as different as night and day. I guess we can plan to go to PB and have a backup plan just in case. At least it's not the kind of thing we have to pay for ahead of time.

That's weird. Reviews written within just a few days of each other are as different as night and day. I guess we can plan to go to PB and have a backup plan just in case. At least it's not the kind of thing we have to pay for ahead of time.

Sounds like a good plan. You'll be prepared when you go and that's what I like Tripadvisor for. I read the bad reviews to see if the issues are things I can live with. Criticizing it for not being a perfect paradise seems trivial to me when the price is right. But a major sand flea problem would make me think twice about it (just an example as I didn't see sand fleas mentioned in the bad reviews for PB).

Sounds like a good plan. You'll be prepared when you go and that's what I like Tripadvisor for. I read the bad reviews to see if the issues are things I can live with. Criticizing it for not being a perfect paradise seems trivial to me when the price is right. But a major sand flea problem would make me think twice about it (just an example as I didn't see sand fleas mentioned in the bad reviews for PB).

One of the main reasons I picked PB is the water toys, but several people commented that they are getting worn out. If that turns out to be the case, I'll just look for a backup plan at a simple (free?) beach.

I've been there 4 different times now. And look forward to going back on our January cruise...

It's never been so crowded as to feel uncomfortable.

There is plenty of space for kids to play on the sand at the shoreline.

I'ver never paid the extra for the water toys, prefer to swim and walk and eat and drink for my day at the beach!

And now they have the new pool area which is really nice too!

Super clean bathroom facilities and easy taxi access!

Have fun!

Our cruise will be stopping in Cozumel on Dec 1, and I am thinking that Paradise Beach is a good solution for what I'm looking for. There will be three of us in our 30s/40s, one 4-year-old, and two in their 60s. The water toys look like a lot of fun for the 30/40-yr-olds, but my son is not ready for them and I know my parents won't want to do them either. So my question is whether there's enough beach area there away from the lounge chair area that my son will have room to play in the sand without being overrun by the people playing with the water toys. I say away from the lounge chairs only because he likes to have room to run around.

Also, our ship doesn't get into port until 1 pm, with three other ships scheduled to be there that day. Should I expect it to be really crowded by then?

Thanks.

depending upon your budget perhaps also look at Mr.Sanchos..they have AI as well as pay as you go, and the water toys don't look to be as far out as PB's....are

Thinking more about a backup plan, I looked into other beaches and found Playa Palancar as a possible alternative. No water toys, but it seems like it might be less crowded. It also has snorkel trips which leave every two hours. Since there are that many trips each day and the early part of December is (as I understand it) a low-season in Cozumel, I would assume that we could catch a snorkel trip that day without having booked ahead of time if we decided to go that rout. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

Also, just thought I better ask -- the water toys at PB are for adults also, not just kids, right?

Thinking more about a backup plan, I looked into other beaches and found Playa Palancar as a possible alternative. No water toys, but it seems like it might be less crowded. It also has snorkel trips which leave every two hours. Since there are that many trips each day and the early part of December is (as I understand it) a low-season in Cozumel, I would assume that we could catch a snorkel trip that day without having booked ahead of time if we decided to go that rout. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

Also, just thought I better ask -- the water toys at PB are for adults also, not just kids, right?

Yes, the water toys are for use by kids and adults (when we were last there, they did have one smaller inflatable slide that was for "kids only", but all of the others were open for use by anyone with a wristband).

Thanks.

We just returned from Paradise Island. There is plenty of beach behind the beach chairs that should suit your needs. Arriving that late may find it a bit crowded but it is a large beach. You're right about the water toys. We've been to Cozumel many times and by far the best beach.

I was just at Paradise Beach last week for the first time. Its a great place you will love it! Clean and fun. The toys were not worn out. We all had alot of fun.

I'm beginning to think that some of the poor reviews on TripAdvisor which metioned things like dirty beach and worn out water toys may have been placed there by unscrupulous competition. Those comments are certainly not consistent with the complimentary ones I tend to find on this discussion board.

Regardless, based on the responses from some of you who have been there in the past few weeks, it would seem that if there were any problems at PB, they have been rectified now.

As usual, thanks for the help.

I have no axe to grind, just a cruiser that has become very disappointed with PB.

Paradise Beach is going downhill fast. The wait staff has always been slow; but the equipment was always in good shape. But not anymore, the inflatable toys have numerous handles missing or broken, but the biggest disappointment was the paddle boards, or should I say paddle board. They only had one board available, but they had four boards hidden to the side but they were broken (fins, I guess - according to their staff). The drinks are extremely weak and overpriced. If I am required to buy a wristband to use the toys and toys are broken or unusable then I feel I am getting ripped off. If I order a drink and the bartender uses some device to limit the alcohol that is poured in the drink and charge me a price more expensive than the Cruise Ship, I guess I need to find another place to hang out when I am in Cozumel. I think PB has lost their edge and is just another tourist trap. One other thing I noticed, when we were there on Feb 20th the place was packed, but on Aug 6th it was very quiet. I guess people have gotten the word about PB being a tourist trap and I just ignored the memo. We will be in Cozumel in Feb 2012, but PB is crossed off the list, I recommend you do the same.

Signed: CruiseHealing who is very disappointed in Paradise Beach.

This same post (above) was on an other Paradise Beach thread. That seems a little odd. I have been to Paradise Beach, although not recently, and found it to be great! I plan on going again in a week. If I find it unsatisfactory when I get there I'll just hop back in a cab and go somewhere else! Until then, I'll be at Paradise Beach. :D

Archived