Nevis

terrascape

Has anyone taken the ferry over to Nevis for the day ? If so, was it worth it ? We have been to St. Kitts but would like to explore the neighboring island. They do have passenger ferry service regularly during the day. We will be there in December. Thanks

Has anyone taken the ferry over to Nevis for the day ? If so, was it worth it ? We have been to St. Kitts but would like to explore the neighboring island. They do have passenger ferry service regularly during the day. We will be there in December. Thanks

Hi! Last December I sailed on the Maasdam. Like You I visited St. Kitts before and wanted to visit Nevis.

Now a word of advice, unless the ferry schedule changes since last December, the first ferry you can catch is going to be the 9:30 a.m. (there was one that left around 8:00 a.m. or 8:30 a.m.). Since my ship was leaving at 5:00 p.m. I had to catch the 1:00 p.m. ferry. There were also cruisers from a Carnival ship that had to catch this ferry also. So your time in Nevis will be rather short. But regardless, I had a wonderful time and hope to head back over again.

You can either walk or take a taxi to the ferry. The ferry had seating both inside and outside. It also offered luggage storage (there were quite a few people who flew to St. Kitts heading to resorts in Nevis onboard).

The ferry took a little over a hour. There were taxis in the area and you can likey arrange an island tour. Since I was traveling solo, I did use a local vendor.

This is a picture of the port arriving on the ferry.

2122300170100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

Near the port area is Alexander Hamilton and the island museum. This was the best place for local art prints at the best price also.

2791197040100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

Due to the short time, I wanted to view the island more and not the gardens. It really look nice from the gates

2205348420100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

The cashier working at the gardens was like most of the people on the island. Very warm and welcoming in telling me to return again!

2373611400100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

I was able to get a highlight tour of the island and a little time for a quick look at the shops near the pier.

The sailing returning back to St. Kitts was really nice that day.

2432253820100919633S500x500Q85.jpg

Once getting back, I opt for a taxi and was back in the cruise port area in no time.

I hope this info help and I will check back for any other questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Great photos airlink.

Based on the link to the ferry schedules that backforty provided, Mark Twain is probably the "slow boat" so we should avoid that one.

I was wondering, on the schedule, in the upper section, where it says "Necis" - is that the departure point, or the destination/arrival point?

I tried to go to Nevis in September, but I think they changed the schedule and eliminated the 1 p.m. return. Since you never know when the schedule may change, I'd suggest having an alternate plan just in case.

I ended up going to Cockelshell Beach instead and could see Nevis directly across the water!

Ms411-

Bummer. Somehow, staring at Nevis accross the water wasn't what I had hoped for. Guess I'll have to do more research on St Kitts as a backup. Already saw the Brimstone Hill Fortress, a batik factory and walked all over town. Not interested in the train ride. Hmmm...

Dushi, I wanted to do a half day rainforest hike when I was in St Kitts, but didn't get a chance to do it. That might be something you may want to consider.

I'm going to try again next year since I missed it this time. Don't want to do a whole day of hiking up that mountain!

Archived