Need opinion on Baths-wife doesn't swim....

big al

Hey folks-My wife & I will be visiting Tortola in November and of course,we would like to visit The Baths.She does NOT swim and is tiny-4'11"...she will go in the pool or beach up to her waist..after that I have to carry her and she gets quite frightened..We ideally would like to see the Baths and go to a lovely beach..any suggestions?Is the beach at the Baths area any good? Or should I get a private tour guide and just ask them to take me to those areas? Thanks!!

Big Al

I loved the Baths. When you walk down to the first beach,it is very nice there. The water is shallow for a ways and it is beautiful with all the fish you can see. I am only 5'2 so I'm not overly tall,myself. And I hate to go in deep water. I really enjoyed this place. The boulders are huge. And if she doesn't want to go in,the beach itself is nice with sun and shade. I hope this helps.

Laura

I am only 5 feet tall myself. If she wants to go in swimming - the first beach (before you actually go through the Baths) would be best. At the 2nd beach (after you go through the Baths) the water was very quickly over my head and a bit rough - not something I would recommend to someone nervous in deep water. As for the Baths themselves - no problem - the water is at most knee deep.

There's no reason why she wouldn't enjoy The Baths. She can go all the way through the trail through the boulders, and it won't be more than maybe ankle deep (you *can* go a little deeper while going through, but don't need to). The beaches on either sides of the boulders are beautiful, and of course, you can choose how far out into the water you want to go.

The Baths are amazing - I *highly* recommend them.

Ladies (and gents if there were)-Thanks so much! Baths it is!!I know she would love it,but I was comcerned about the depth of the water...Never been to Tortola,been to most other islands..can't wait!! Thanks again!!

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...

Al,

I just got back from the Baths (4-8-05). Odds are your ship is only in port for several hours. By the time you are transported to the Baths, your usable time is about 2.5 hours. My suggestion is to use it wisely.

There are a series of little beaches, the first of which everyone is referring to will be the most crowded, as that is as far as most people decide to go. The other 25% of the people venture a little further through what they refer to as a "cave", which is actually a series of easily navigatable trails through big boulders of which your wife (being that small) will hardly have to duck her head. This trails lead you to 2 different beaches, quite smaller than the latter. Here the beauty lies beneath the surface.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you buy your wife a snorkeling vest, (www.leisurepro.com) and a simple set of snorkeling gear (you can get a feasable set at Target for $20). At first glance, the second and third beach haven't much to offer, but after sticking your head under the water:D , you'll remember me and thank me for the advice. Imagine looking into a massive aquarium, with huge fish with colors that only God could create. Undisturbed coral like you see in National Geographic, and some of the clearest water you could ever imagine! To go to the Baths and not snorkel (tell your wife I can't swim either) would be a shame.

We had a couple with us that didn't bring snorkeling gear. After some arm twisting, they used our gear and were so thankful they did. You have never seen anything so amazing. My wife and I agreed that if we can ever afford to take a FULL DAY trip anywhere in the Caribbean to snorkel again...it would be the Baths. Bon Voyage!

I'll second the opinion that the Baths is a great snorkeling area! We have been snorkeling only about 5 times and I have to say I enjoyed this area and St. Johns the best.

When our shore excursion arrived the place to rent snorkel gear was not open. We had only brought our masks and snorkels. I am not a strong swimmer but decided to venture out without a vest. I was quite surprised how easy it was to float around in this area without a vest. We just snorkeled at the first beach.

Hey Jellyfish, we also picked up our snorkel masks at leisurepro.com. Great selection and great prices.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Yes the bar at the bottom of the hill you go down to get to the Baths rents lockers. We left stuff there and it was fine (although personally I would take money and credit cards with me (in a water safe) when I went through the Baths.

Archived