Cash vs Cards

travrn

We will be traveling to Grand Turk, Nassau, and HMC in 35 days aboard the Destiny. I tried to find out in earlier threads what is the best way to pay on these islands but unsuccessful with my search. Can anyone enlighten me whether it's safe to use my debit/credit cards or would it be wiser to use cash? Thanks for any info you can provide.

I would NEVER use a debit card in a foreign country. That being said...on our cruise in April we just used cash. They were small purchases...t shirts, vendors on the beach. Be sure to take small bills. I would use a CC for only a large purchase, i.e. a piece of jewelry, something like that. Be sure to call you CC company to let them know you may be using it out of the country so you arent denied. In the end, we just used our CC on the ship for the S & S.

I have no problem using my credit card in ports...not a debit card. credit cards are easy to fight if there is a false charge. ATM cards obviously the cash can be taken out imediately and if there is a false charge this could pose some issues.

HMC...bring your sail and sign. you wont need any cash on that island. the bars and main gift shop all take your S&S card.

Grand Turk...some of the bars there only take cash. For my wife and I we usually bring a CC with us as well as about $60 in cash to cover lunch and a a drink for each of us.

Nassau...same as GT...bring cash if possible and maybe have a CC as back up.

I have used credit cards as well as cash. I would not use the debit card. One big reason is we are een as rich amercians and people will target places and machines we use. Thinking we have money and can affor it. I used the card in bigger stores. Smal misc stuff I use cash. We have been lucky with many a travels. Also keep you credit cards number with you in case you need to call them. My fil card was eaten by a ATM in Italy. At a bank. We realized there are some people who might take and use the card in the morning (saw some issues listed online. We had tp call home and cancel card. On a side note when he went home and called to tell them they could send out replacement cards they said that there were a couple of attempted charges.

I agree that it isn't a good idea to use a debit card in a foreign country. Of course, both debit and credit cards carry a currency exchange fee as high as 3%, so I try to only use mine on large purchases for which I don't have enough cash.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I will probably just use cash except on HMC. I know about the fraud being practiced when you used your debit/credit cards especially in foreign countries. I don't want to take the chance. 34 days and counting.....

Archived