Koper-traveling to Lake Bled, Ljubljana

Hello,

I've searched through previous forums, but most point to either taking public transit to Piran or touring with Graeme to Ljubljana and Lake Bled. Is there a way to get to Ljubljana and Lake Bled on my own? Approximately how far are they from each other, from the port? From the old forums I've read, I haven't seen much discussion on it (though I did see one person say they rented a car). From looking at the Wiki, I would travel to Ljubljana, then to Lake Bled.

Is a tour necessary, or is it more of a walk-around-take-in-the-scenery kind of town?

Also, I've seen commenting on caves, specifically citing Skojcan caves and Postojna Caves. If anyone has been to both, are there drastic differences? Is one recommended over the other?

Thanks!

Hi. My wife and I are just back from the Voyager of the Seas. We booked a tour with Graeme to Ljubljana and Lake Bled. From memory, total travel time from Koper to Lake Bled is about 2 1/4 hours. We got a brief history of the town from Graeme and then had free time to walk around it. It is a 'small' capital city, but still nice to walk around - would define it is a 'walk-around-take-in-the-scenery' kind of town! Hope this helps.

Hello,

I've searched through previous forums, but most point to either taking public transit to Piran or touring with Graeme to Ljubljana and Lake Bled. Is there a way to get to Ljubljana and Lake Bled on my own? Approximately how far are they from each other, from the port? From the old forums I've read, I haven't seen much discussion on it (though I did see one person say they rented a car). From looking at the Wiki, I would travel to Ljubljana, then to Lake Bled.

Is a tour necessary, or is it more of a walk-around-take-in-the-scenery kind of town?

Also, I've seen commenting on caves, specifically citing Skojcan caves and Postojna Caves. If anyone has been to both, are there drastic differences? Is one recommended over the other?

Thanks!

Kelmn07--I would strongly urge you to read Rick Steves' "Croatia and Slovenia" book. He discussed driving, routes, what to do and see in Ljubljana and Lake Bled specifically.

Cadbol--How did you enjoy your trip with Graeme, we are signed up for his trip on 4 Sept?

We toured with Graeme last summer and had a very enjoyable day. He gave us enough history for us to gain an understanding of the country and also allowed us enough free time to enjoy the stunning scenery (particularly in Lake Bled) on our own after lunch. In addition, we had requested that he take us to a restaurant to have a lunch with foods typical of the area. We ended it with a schnapps tasting!!

It was a very good day - Graeme is a very relaxed & informed tour guide.

We toured with Graeme last summer and had a very enjoyable day. He gave us enough history for us to gain an understanding of the country and also allowed us enough free time to enjoy the stunning scenery (particularly in Lake Bled) on our own after lunch. In addition, we had requested that he take us to a restaurant to have a lunch with foods typical of the area. We ended it with a schnapps tasting!!

It was a very good day - Graeme is a very relaxed & informed tour guide.

Thank you, jmlh. We are travelling with Graeme on 4 Sept, a Sunday--it's also the day of the world rowing championships at Lake Bled, so I am wondering how that will affect our tour.

Rick

We were in Lake Bled on a Sunday as well - but no rowing championships! In any event, as Graeme lives in Lake Bled, he will know how to proceed with the day so that you will have a great time. On the day we were there we walked around the waterfront after lunch. It was a beautiful sunny day and many people were just out walking around and enjoying themselves.

Graeme will also make lunch reservations for you (if you want) so you will not have to worry about that. Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would second the suggestion that you read RICK STEVES' book - he discusses the pros/cons of the 2 cave systems and he also has a section on both Ljubliana and Lake Bled.

We did his Eastern Europe tour a few years ago, and the Skocjan cave was part of it - it was REALLY COOL. But since we didn't also do the Prostoja cave, I can't compare.

Ljubliana is really gorgeous, we were only there for a few hours, unfortunately. Lake Bled is serenely beautiful and we really enjoyed our 2 night stay there. I think you will like this area, but don't do it without Rick's book!

• 3 weeks later...

Another fan of Graeme here! :D We enjoyed our trip to Slovenia so much that we are considering it as a land destination in the future. Ljubljana is only 2.5 hours from Venice, so Graeme is considering adding a pre/post cruise land tour for the area. Slovenia is beautiful and clean! The people are friendly, it's prosperous and we felt extremely safe wandering around for our free time in Ljubljana. Our only complaint was that we didn't have enough time there!

Archived