Atun Ha Mayan site and River Wallace tour.

meadcher

• 4 weeks later...

We did this tour/excurion with CCL on the Legend and LOVED it.

The bus to the site was like a greyhound bus, air conditioned and comfortable.

Our tour had the river portion on the back end, and the boat dropped us off at the port.

You can climb one ruin (weather permitting), if memory serves me correctly it was the Sun Temple, the largest one on site. Its an amazing site, as the Mayans called this area of Central America "home" for hundreds of years.

The hour long bus ride is not "excruciating"--natural childbirth, 3rd degree burns and root canals are excruciating. "Excruciating" is not riding in an air conditioned bus with a lively tour guide. Anyway-its a long ride, yes, but that time is filled by your tour guide teaching you about Belize, their culture/economy/history....and takes questions and gives answers. I imagine of course it depends on the guide(s), but ours were excellent.

The boat portion was fantastic for us. We got to see loads of wildlife, including but not limited to crocs, monkeys, manatees, birds, bats.

The chicken/meal was fine. I'd eat it again any day over some the crap served on the Lido deck.

This is very much an educational type excursion, and a good one at that. If you're into Senor Frogs and getting drunk on a beach, then its not for you. If you want to learn about the culture and landscape of the country you're visiting, then go for it. We loved Belize, and for the life of me I can't understand why it gets such a bad rap on these boards. Its a poor developing country with a lot to offer. Can it be dangerous? Sure, but no more dangerous than LA, Chicago or NYC. Use common sense. The people are nice and hardworking, they are GLAD to have tourists there. I'd rather drop a load of cash in Belize than say, Grand Cayman. It helps them.

I know its probably more info than you needed, but I get so upset when people refer to things in such a negative way when it is uncalled for.

Oh and by the way...Belize is in Central America approx midway between the Tropic of Cancer and the Equator-- if you go there in the summer months, it is going to be HOT. That's just common sense.

BarleyJack--you had a different experience than we all did. I was on Legend and ended up with a group from Dream. No of them spoke to one another. It was very odd. Spent 15 minutes looking for manatee but none were found. The guide didn't say much about culture except to have the national chicken and rice/beans dish. No one liked how long it was. We waited on the boat for over 30 min. before leaving. I live in Florida and see crocs/alligators and the same birds we saw there. Did see some monkeys we don't have drunning around wild. The guy pulled over everytime he saw a bird! No one liked the chicken and rice. Those who got hamburgers liked them. I didn't say the bus was hot or uncomfortable. It was a very long, long day and lots of folks, not just me, were sorry we did this. I know 12 of us missed dinner in the MDR because we all fell asleep and didn't get up in time...it was tiring.

I'm glad you had a better experience. No need to dis me for mine.

As for Belize, one reason I chose this was that I've done the Land Rover, cave expedition and had a blast. Had a great river ride, drove over paved and unpaved roads to the cave site, had a nice lunch and drove back in an open air bus while they served rum punch. I had scheduled to that again then changed my mind. Everytime I've been to Belize I've had a good time.

• 4 weeks later...
We did it last year via the Belize Cruise Excursion company. Had a great time, even with 2 kids under the age of 10. :-)

Thanks for info re: Belize Cruise Excursion co. - I showed hubby their website with info on all three cruises, and made HIM look at it and decide vs. guessing or just asking me! Now I just have to book Lamanai. We'll be on Legend leaving Nov. 6! I'm ready!

We did as part of Carnival excursion in August 2011 and loved it.

Our Belizian tour guide had us on boat within 15 minutes of reaching the dock. We saw dolphins, manatee, alligator, iguana, bats, moneys and hanging birds nests. They are a bit far away so bring a good zoom camera (remember - it's not a zoo, it's real life). The only minor complaint I have is the boat goes so fast it is hard to catch your breath. Aside from the animals, the river portion also gives you insight to the way the people live.

The chicken lunch was well cooked and flavorful. Beans and rice good too. The plantian was excellant but those not familiar with flavor may not appreciate.

The tour guide talked about Belizian history on the bus. The sights (living conditions) seen from the bus window were fit for National Geographic photos. Altun ha was breath taking.

I didn't time the excursion because I was enjoying it so much. But was closer to 5 hours. I would highly recommend it because it combines the river, ruins and part of the city into one tour.

Seeing Belize does make you realize how lucky you are and I was happy to give the guides a nice tip at end.

• 2 months later...

Archived