Carrier suggestions for 11 month old

Megnolia

I'm interested to know what type of carriers you use with your infants/small toddlers on excursions. I have a snugli front/back, but it's very hot, and it doesn't have a sun shade, so I don't think I'd like to bring it on our cruise.

Although I will bring a stroller, I like the flexibility of a carrier for certain excursions.

Thinking of something with a frame and a sun shade. If you have one that you love, I would be interested to hear what type it is!

Thanks!

I had a Kelty frame carrier when my boys were little that was pretty good. It might be a bit much though and you will have to store it in your stateroom etc. You might consider buying something like an Ergo or Beco baby carrier that can be used as a front carrier and back carrier. Put sunscreen on your little one and if you can get em to leave a hat on, that would be good too!

My husband and I used an Ergo Carrier on a Bermuda cruise with my daughter who was 6 months old at the time. I find the Ergo to be a sturdy carrier, pretty comfortable to wear and can be worn different ways.

The carrier has a hood that provides some shelter and prevents the baby from dropping their head back when they fall asleep. We used the hood while onboard when she napped. However, when we walked around the port, we put a large floppy hat on her for sun protection. In the warm weather, it was quite hot to wear the carrier after a short while.

It took me a little while to get the hang of putting my baby in the carrier by myself. There are different ways of wearing the carrier. So I would reccomend practicing at home and you can also see which position (front, back or hip) your little one is most comfortable with.

Our daughter is almost 10 months now and we still use the Ergo. I think the weight limit is 40 pounds.

My kids were sling babies from day one. I'm sure there are many more on the market now but I loved the maya wrap slings for more reasons than I could ever say. I had afew in different beautiful fabrics and even a mesh one for swimming. I traveled a lot with my kids starting at 8 wks and would have been lost without my slings.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

and honestly I prefer the Ergo (structured carrier) to the metal frame/rigid carriers. For one I don't like my kids dangling by their pelvis, which the metal frame carriers do. Plus the metal frame adds a lot of weight, which makes me warmer than necessary when walking around ;) DS2 has been in the Ergo since 6 months, and he still goes in it (although less frequently!) at 3.5 yrs. The other advantage to the Ergo is that you can fold it up and store it under the stroller, which you can't do with the framed carriers. As others have said, the Ergo has a sunshade, which also helps hold their head when the fall asleep.

If you have to travel to port by air, the Ergo is easy to use getting the child on and off the aircraft. You just have to take them out while going through security.

I still find it more comfortable to wear DS2 on the front, but back-pack style works too. I've never figured out the hip carry, but that's just me ;)

We have TONS of carriers (Beco, slings, etc.) and I have to say that my favorite is a lesser known Boba. We have the Boba Classic. It is very similar to the Ergo, Beco, etc. The thing that I love about it most? It has foot stirrups. Why is this important? Well, when you have a somewhat older baby (10 mos plus), their legs are a bit heavier and the carrier does not make it all the way to the knee to support the leg. This can leave a red mark or line on the baby's thigh (underneath). We have a small fry little guy at 22 lbs and 13 months. I just discovered the use of the stirrups last month and we both LOVE them. Of course, the Boba has a sun shade/hood, etc and nice padded shoulder straps. I can't say enough good things! So for longer trip or a quick go, the Boba is a convenient, compact, comfortable carrier for an older baby.

comparison:

http://www.bobababycarrier.com/index.php?page=boba-or-ergo-baby-carrier

more pics:

http://www.theportablebaby.com/bobaorganic.html

Have fun picking a carrier! Oh, BTW- I caught a sale on zulily.com and snagged mine for around $50 with free shipping! They just had them on sale last week, too. If you have a bit of time before cruising, I suggest keeping an eye out for them there (though if I knew how awesome it was really going to be, I would have bought it at full price anyway).

My kids were sling babies from day one. I'm sure there are many more on the market now but I loved the maya wrap slings for more reasons than I could ever say. I had afew in different beautiful fabrics and even a mesh one for swimming. I traveled a lot with my kids starting at 8 wks and would have been lost without my slings.

Oh, it's been so long since I had a child small enough to carry, but I have to agree about the Maya Wrap! You can't see it very well, but I'm using it with my daughter in this photo at Mendenhall Glacier. She was 2+ at the time, but she's always been tiny, so it still worked great for her then. At that point, I used it to keep my hands free while carrying her around on my hip.

Things have changed a little since then. The second picture was taken a few weeks ago, 10 years after the first. Now my little baby is nearly as tall as me!

FamilyAtMendenhall.jpg.fda4932195f8e32c8afd3607273cc9e3.jpg

FamilyAtMendenhall2011.jpg.7ca91b86fd161a69f8d382b66ad9774b.jpg

Slings and Maya wraps are wonderful (I have them, too), but they are not really good for you when using them for long periods of time (ergonomically). They can cause hip and back pain. I like mine for hip carries in small stores, etc., but wouldn't use it for a hike, zoo or mall trip. ; )

Great pics Sherry! My 3 girls are all teenagers now so I miss those days too

Oh, it's been so long since I had a child small enough to carry, but I have to agree about the Maya Wrap! You can't see it very well, but I'm using it with my daughter in this photo at Mendenhall Glacier. She was 2+ at the time, but she's always been tiny, so it still worked great for her then. At that point, I used it to keep my hands free while carrying her around on my hip.

Things have changed a little since then. The second picture was taken a few weeks ago, 10 years after the first. Now my little baby is nearly as tall as me!

I guess my body is used to the non-ergo carrying- as a postal employee on a hilly walking route for years I have lugged a mail bag on one shoulder for hours a day- so babies seem leasy in comparison

Slings and Maya wraps are wonderful (I have them, too), but they are not really good for you when using them for long periods of time (ergonomically). They can cause hip and back pain. I like mine for hip carries in small stores, etc., but wouldn't use it for a hike, zoo or mall trip. ; )

I loved the Moby wrap until DS was about 10 months old. I continue to use the Ergo at 20 months, and really like the Beco (but got a screaming deal on the Ergo and couldn't pass it up).

I would not get a frame carrier, and would not use the Snugli. You want your carrier to support the butt and as far out along the leg as possible, ideally with support out to the knee. It's very bad for their backs to be carried by their crotches with legs dangling straight down. http://www.continuum-concept.org/reading/spinalStress.html

If you get a chance, go to a park, head to the swingset, and straddle a swing between your legs. Now imagine spending hours being suspended that way. Then rotate 90 degrees so your butt is in the "sling" of the swing and see how much more comfortable it is to be supported that way.

If you get a chance, go to a park, head to the swingset, and straddle a swing between your legs. Now imagine spending hours being suspended that way. Then rotate 90 degrees so your butt is in the "sling" of the swing and see how much more comfortable it is to be supported that way.

What a wonderful way of explaining it! I will have to use this comparison in the future.

We are in love with our Boba. I have the Beco (which I do like), but those foot stirrups on the Boba are amazing. I couldn't believe how much they helped LO not get red marks on the bottom of his thighs!!!

the ergo, beco and boba are all great suggestions!! there is also the babyhawk oh snap (same style soft structured carrier) http://www.babyhawk.com/Shop/InstockCarriers/Default.aspx?Category_ID=1050

i agree with the other, no snuglis and no framed carriers, both are bad!!!

http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/index.php often has ergos for really great prices. you just have to check everyday.

Archived