NCL Sun? Belize Ambergris Caye?

IScubaSlo

We took the Shark/Ray Alley and Town Sightseeing excursion on the Sun in Nov. so that we could go to Ambergris Caye. We took the NCL excursion because we were nervous about getting back tot he ship and did not want to be left behind in Belize.

The Town Sightseeing part was cancelled the night before, but we were rebooked automatically on the Beach Break which was convenient for NCL since it meant they did not have to transport us to the town after getting us to Ambergris. Fortunately, we had met another couple who wanted to d ot hesame excursion and were dissappointed about not getting to see the town of San Pedro as we were. We hooked up and rented a golf cart to go to town on our own.

We had to tender to Belize City (20-30 min) first and then get on a second boat to go to Ambergris. An NCL shore ex guy from our ship came with us as it was a Dive In excursion. It took ages (almost an hour) to get to Shark Ray Alley. We had to stop and get snorkelling equip for some who did not go get it on the ship as they were supposed to. The snorkelling was lovely, but fairly intense. They dragged us in a group across the current to the reef and even though we are experienced snorkellers in our mid 30's in good shape, we were exhausted. The NCL guy was practically useless. Said he 'should' have brought a float line for less experienced snorkellers - but he didn't. Our friends got in the water to see the sharks and rays, but then got back in the boat and had to wait 30-45 min for the rest of us to get back.

Then they took us to the beach on Ambergris - to a bar named Crazy Canucks. The NCL guy sat and drank the whole time we were there. He said he was off duty when we got back to the ship. Lunch was bad - chicken and rice and watermelon. DO NOT EAT THE WATERMELON!!! I was dumb and forgot. I was sick for a week with a parasite, till I figured it out and got some Cipro when I got home. Apparently Ambergris is notorious for bad stomach bugs.

The beach experience was lacking. You can't swim due to grass in the water near the shore. It should be labelled Beach Bar Break.

We explored the island with our friends, which was definitely the highlight of our day. Found a coffee shop that sold local beans - very good - got some to bring home. Had some local ice cream - also very good. We also liked the local Belizean beer - Belikin - and we don't usually like beer. Beautiful town.

In all, we were glad to see Ambergris and San Pedro. The snorkel was tough and we were shocked at the behavior of the NCL employee. We might consider flying over to Ambergris next time so we could see more of the town and island. Just have to be willing to risk being left behind!

Sorry this got so long! Didn't realize I had that much to say!!!

Lisa

Lisa,

Thanks for the info. We are thinking about taking this cruise so that we could see Ambergris Caye. We have thought about going there for a week to stay but wanted to see what it was like before doing that.

As far as the snorkeling that you did, you mean they actually towed you over the reef? why? My husband and I both are divers and have done alot of snorkeling and have never been towed......whats with that?

Did you like Ambergris Caye?

How was the cruise?

Thanks

Cheryl

When we first got out of the boat at Shark/Ray Alley, they dropped a feeding tube to the shallow (15 ft) bottom and the rays and sharks come eat. Much like Stingray City in Cayman only a bit deeper.

For the rest of the snorkel, we were asked to stay close to the guy with the orange buoy and he would lead us out to the reef. There were about 35 peple trying to follow and many were VERY inexperienced snorkellers so were not careful about their fins or about not stepping on, brushing against coral or throwing someone else into the coral. The coral was quite near the surface in some spots and we know from experience that it HURTS when you brush against it!!! We were frustrated trying to swim against the current, not get thrown into coral by the current or others bumping us, avoid novices' fins by staying at the back of the pack and still keep up with buoy guy who was moving very quickly for a snorkel. We did see lots of huge schools of fish, which was new and very cool to me. Reminded me of Finding Nemo. The coral was nice, but was showinfg the effects of having lots of folks abusing it every day by standing up during a group snorkel. Makes me mad just thinking about it!

We thought Ambergris was great. Neat little town with cool galleries, shops, etc. We are very pleased to have seen 'La Isla Bonita', but could do without the group snorkel and forever boat ride next time. I can't imagine spending a week there - especially since you can't really swim from shore. There isn't much to do, so you would have to be in super relaxation mode.

The cruise was great! The Sun is lovely. Freestyle dining was enjoyable. Good entertainment. Loved the canopy tour in Roatan. Great beach snorkel from Tabyana Beach. Cool local vendors down the beach there too - neat local pottery - Ceramica Linka - sold for MUCH more on Ambergris.

• 6 months later...
Are there any shore excursions to Ambergris Caye? Or is there enought time to do on your own?

Thanks

Cheryl

We're going out on the Sun on 10/23 and plan on taking the Shark Ray Alley and Beach Lunch excursion. I'll post up when we get back. I'm hoping it's not like our last excursion there. Last time it was just a game of follow the leader and not much time to look around. The Hol Chan Marine reserve is really neat if you have a chance to do a little exploring.

Cody

I love Belize (jungle & San Pedro). The shark / ray snorkel is alot of fun. You may want to try to do that with a stop at the Hol Chan marine reserve. The snorkeling there is fabulous. The best part about the shark / ray stop, is feeding the sharks and rays (not so much the snorkeling). Perhaps a private tour would be good for this. You could do a quick stop at shark ray alley and a long stop at Hol Chan.

I have never done Belize on a cruise, only vacationed there. Belize is a truly magical place with warm, friendly people and great food! My best advise would be (whether you SCUBA dive or prefer to stay on dry land) to make sure you experience the country outside of Belize City (Belize City is the ugliest part of Belize).

Have fun! I am envious!

I first went to Belize just on a week long vacation. Last year we went on a cruise. I would have prefered to just spend a week there this year but it's my wife's birthday so she got to choose.

It looks like we are going to have to book our own tour. From what I can tell the one through Norwegian doesn't stop at the channel. That's the main part I want to see. The sharks and rays are neat but that channel is awesome. It looks like if we want to go to Hol Chan we're going to have to catch a flight from Belize City and go with a local tour operator. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cody

• 5 months later...

I'm booked for Shark Ray Alley through NCL (Dream). Has anyone had a good experience with them? The report above sounds awful. We've spent a week there a few years back and loved it-thought it would be nice to visit again...but maybe not this way?

Archived