Dreaded Pedicure Curse has struck! Need Nassau help!

Brittasbay

Every time I get a pedicure, within a week of getting it I have some accident that hurts my foot terribly. :eek: I thought for years I was just being silly and kind of superstitious but apparently there is truth to this curse :mad:

I got my nails done to get ready for my cruise next week and wouldn't you know, something heavy fell out of the freezer and hit my foot this morning. After stopping the cursing and bleeding, I called out of work and went to the doctor. So it turns out that my nail is ripped off the nail bed and I have soft tissue damage to the top of the toe. It will take awhile to heal so I have to be careful what I can do on my vacation to be on the safe side.

So I am begging you all for help! My DH and I had planned to go snorkeling in Nassau and now I don't know if my toe will be healed enough to be in the water for 3 hours. What should we do for the day? If my toe is still sore I don't want to go on a big walking tour or anything like that.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I am SOOOOO mad at myself for not getting trip insurance this time so I am praying that I heal quick and don't get an infection in the toe (I am on antibiotics now to prevent that).

Every time I get a pedicure, within a week of getting it I have some accident that hurts my foot terribly. :eek: I thought for years I was just being silly and kind of superstitious but apparently there is truth to this curse :mad:

I got my nails done to get ready for my cruise next week and wouldn't you know, something heavy fell out of the freezer and hit my foot this morning. After stopping the cursing and bleeding, I called out of work and went to the doctor. So it turns out that my nail is ripped off the nail bed and I have soft tissue damage to the top of the toe. It will take awhile to heal so I have to be careful what I can do on my vacation to be on the safe side.

So I am begging you all for help! My DH and I had planned to go snorkeling in Nassau and now I don't know if my toe will be healed enough to be in the water for 3 hours. What should we do for the day? If my toe is still sore I don't want to go on a big walking tour or anything like that.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I am SOOOOO mad at myself for not getting trip insurance this time so I am praying that I heal quick and don't get an infection in the toe (I am on antibiotics now to prevent that).

I am sorry to hear about your foot/toe but I am sure you will be able to go on your cruise and still have a blast! In nassau head over to junkanoo Beach and enjoy a day on the beach. Your Hubby can have a nice swim and if you can join him then all the better. Go and have fun!!!

Absolutely keep that foot out of salt water and sand!

Sorry about your accident. Seems like I have the same pre-cruise curse.

Go to a good local dance supply shop and buy the Bun Heads various toe protectors that women use in pointe shoes. I'm serious.

These items are better than anything you can get in most drug stores.

It is horrible to think about but dancers have this sort of injury quite often. A good dance supply shop should be able to help you with advice and some supplies. You should have plenty of shops in Atlanta that take care of ballet dancers. You can do a search online and see what items are available.

awwwww :( I hate hate hate when stuff like that happens! hopefully your toe will amaze you and heal incredibly fast :D If not what about a city type tour I always thought city tours would be boring but we did one in Mexico once we boarded a tour bus and really got to get out and see the city and get out every now and then and do some shopping, etc. it was more entertaining then I thought it would be Other wise you can never go wrong with a beach day You can sit and lounge work on your tan and sip piña colada's all day and maybe if your toe is up to it hop in the water every now and then Id probably see if you could get one of those floaty air mattress things though and then you can float in the water but actually keep your foot out and I'd wear sum sort of water shoe too to protect it

Go to a good local dance supply shop and buy the Bun Heads various toe protectors that women use in pointe shoes. I'm serious.

It is horrible to think about but dancers have this sort of injury quite often. A good dance supply shop should be able to help you with advice and some supplies. You should have plenty of shops in Atlanta that take care of ballet dancers. You can do a search online and see what items are available.

I hadn't thought about going to a dance shop, this is a great idea! Thanks so much!

Sorry to hear about your toe! I thought I was the only one with the prevacation curse. We sail in October and DH cracked his ankle last month, cut the tip of his finger OFF 2 weeks ago then Monday I chipped the bone on the underside of the middle finger at the joint (on my dominant hand non the less). I hope your toe heels well and the way I look at it, even if we have to stay on the ship and hang out on the balcony, we are still cruising:D.

kmeow is right. The salt water will help, just be sure you rinse the sand off well. You will also not be putting pressure on your foot while swimming.

My DH had a motorcycle accident before we went on vacation. He had severe asphalt burns and the dr. told him the salt water would help his wound recovery. He just had to be careful in the sun. We went and had a great time.

I say buy the toe thingies, take bottled water to rinse your foot and go snorkeling!!!

Sorry to hear about your toe! I thought I was the only one with the prevacation curse. We sail in October and DH cracked his ankle last month, cut the tip of his finger OFF 2 weeks ago then Monday I chipped the bone on the underside of the middle finger at the joint (on my dominant hand non the less). I hope your toe heels well and the way I look at it, even if we have to stay on the ship and hang out on the balcony, we are still cruising:D.

Oh no! You guys do have the curse too! 5 years ago we had a vacation to Jamaica planned and I busted up my big toe. I was such a weenie about the injury that it affected my fun on this trip and I regret that. I know I will make the best of it this time around and I sure am glad we sprung for a balcony on this cruise :o

You guys have been so supportive, thank you! I suppose I turned into a worry wart about the situation as I am a type 1 diabetic and foot injuries scare the heck out of me for good reason :eek: I will update tomorrow after I go to my regularly scheduled endocrinologist appointment as I am sure she will offer some good feedback to keep my toe healthy. I will definitely ask her about the salt water (minus the sand) being helpful with healing.

I hurt my toe on a stingray trip in Antigua a few years back. It was bad enough that I went to the ship's Dr. He stitched me up and said there was no reason I couldn't go back in the ocean - that salt water helped to heal. He told me no hot tubs. This happened on day 2 of our cruise - went in the water every day for extended periods of time - no problem.

Enjoy your trip!

If you have an unhealed wound on your foot, please be careful in Nassau. Wear your sneakers and socks! Last October I had a sandal that rubbed a tiny spot open on my foot. I was walking around Nassau and when I got home it was infected. Turns out that I had MRSA which is a very bad infection. I am fine now but I just wanted to warn you. Please be careful! I hope foot feels better soon.

Awesome advice! I never would of thought of this!!

So I went to the endocrinologist today and got quite the reaction out of the doctor ;) She was not expecting a gross toe to look at during my exam. She said as long as the toe starts to dry up and scab, the salt water will help it heal. She said just to make sure that I rinse well when I get out of the water. So it looks like we may keep the snorkeling excursion after all if my foot looks ok over the next couple of days.

Still would love additional Nassau suggestions, just in case my toe does not cooperate :o

You guys have been so supportive, thank you! I suppose I turned into a worry wart about the situation as I am a type 1 diabetic and foot injuries scare the heck out of me for good reason :eek: I will update tomorrow after I go to my regularly scheduled endocrinologist appointment as I am sure she will offer some good feedback to keep my toe healthy. I will definitely ask her about the salt water (minus the sand) being helpful with healing.

No wonder you were worried, open foot wounds can be really bad. But I would have thought the same thing about the salt water (minus the sand!). Like soaking in epson salts but now you get to have fun doing it!

So I went to the endocrinologist today and got quite the reaction out of the doctor ;) She was not expecting a gross toe to look at during my exam. She said as long as the toe starts to dry up and scab, the salt water will help it heal. She said just to make sure that I rinse well when I get out of the water. So it looks like we may keep the snorkeling excursion after all if my foot looks ok over the next couple of days.

Still would love additional Nassau suggestions, just in case my toe does not cooperate :o

That is great news. Hope fully it all be better and the salt helps it more. I live in new England and have always been told go into the ocean it will help it heal.

Archived