Fort Lauderdale Hotel Area Question

Happy2cu

We are cruising in Feb. 2012. I have been trying to get a priceline hotel in Zone 2 (Downtown FLL) or Zone 5 (Beach Area). We have some friends staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. If possible, would like to be close to them but if not, that's ok too. My main question is, is there any other zone area I should be looking into that isn't too far away from Port Everglades? I don't want to pay a lot for a cab ride from the hotel to the port. I called a hotel, I think it was in Hollywood, and they said it was $37 for a ride there. Too much. I also don't want to be in the middle of nowhere either - prefer walking distance to restaurants. I'd appreciate any advice.

Happy2cu, from a neighbor in Waukesha....

Firstly, you are looking way too early on PL for a Feb date. THe prices are very high all over the area now. We have 3 nights booked post cruise in Jan, but are holding off on bidding the Sat. night of our disembarkation. We booked a cancelable room for very close to $200. Hoping as the days near, we will get a better rate and we'll cancel that one. ;) Now back to you...

Yes, you want to look in Downtown or downtown beach. Your friends are downtown on 17 th st. Very close to port. Embassy is running over $200 for the winter right now.

If you look at 3 stars downtown, they include Embassy, Hilton, Riverside and Hyatt Place North. Riverside is on Las Olas Blvd. Not really where your friends are. But a nice area with restaurants and boutique shops. 3 stars on the Beach are Bahia Mar, Doubletree Suites Gallery One and Courtyard Ft L Beach. If you go to the 4stars on the beach, you can end up pretty far from downtown. (Actually Gallery One I mentioned is a bit north but still on the water taxi route. )

The 3 stars all will give you a nice place to stay. Don't need to go up to a 4.

Hollywood is south and yes, the cab will be more. However sometimes you can pick up a great price for the Westin and then the cab ride isn't of matter. But if you want to experience the waterways and beach in Ft. L, stick to that area.

Another Priceline zone close to the port is airport FLL. It shouldn't cost more than $20-25 to get to ES from there.

If you bid on the beach zone you could end up with the 4* Il Lugano which is very nice but is at least $35 from the airport. Even if you bid on 3* doesn't Priceline have the option to put you in a 4*? The 2.5* Ocean Sky is even further so avoid anything less than 3*.

I must have gotten confused with all the bidding I 've been doing. I did look up the old winning bid and the hotel description was Hyatt Place FLL North.

So I think you understand now..."Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North" is the name of the hotel. The hotel is just north-east of the airport off 17th St, but the Priceline (and Hotwire) zone is "downtown". The funny thing is locally that area isn't really considered downtown :D.

Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North. It was close to the airport and the cruise port plus you get free shuttle pick-up at the airport and then again to the cruise port. Rooms were large and very clean and price was good. Don't know what zone they are in but their address is 2301 SW 12th Ave. St. Lauderdale. We are cruising again this Jan. out of Miami but flying into Ft. Lauderdale and are thinking of staying here again then just getting a taxi to take us to Miami the next day.

So I think you understand now..."Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North" is the name of the hotel. The hotel is just north-east of the airport off 17th St, but the Priceline (and Hotwire) zone is "downtown". The funny thing is locally that area isn't really considered downtown :D.

I, got it the first time. The old memory is getting unreliable.

If you bid on the beach zone you could end up with the 4* Il Lugano which is very nice but is at least $35 from the airport. Even if you bid on 3* doesn't Priceline have the option to put you in a 4*? .

Yes, Royal. That is correct. However knock on wood, we have been lucky enough to "win" only the Bahia Mar and Sheraton when bidding 3 stars. Sheraton is actually a 3 1/2. Maybe because we keep the bid down low enough that any 4 star hotels won't except it. ;) And if we really are staying more than one or two nights, we like to find another site to guarantee the hotel of our choice.

Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport North. It was close to the airport and the cruise port plus you get free shuttle pick-up at the airport and then again to the cruise port. Rooms were large and very clean and price was good. Don't know what zone they are in but their address is 2301 SW 12th Ave. St. Lauderdale. We are cruising again this Jan. out of Miami but flying into Ft. Lauderdale and are thinking of staying here again then just getting a taxi to take us to Miami the next day.

That is in the airport area but is not a winning bid hotel on Priceline.

Archived