Need Advice on NOLA food and siteseeing

luvmysox1

Okay, we booked the hotel. (HI Superdome) Please help me with dinning and nitelife. What are the best tours to do. We'll be there the day before the cruise and the day returning. Keep in mind that my cruise the end of January.

Thanks for help in advance. Want plan this out so we can fit everything in.

Okay, we booked the hotel. (HI Superdome) Please help me with dinning and nitelife. What are the best tours to do. We'll be there the day before the cruise and the day returning. Keep in mind that my cruise the end of January.

Thanks for help in advance. Want plan this out so we can fit everything in.

Wow, that's a huge subject to cover. New Orleans is a food & entertainment city. I suspect there are some New Orleanians on here who can chime in with specifics, so let me just suggest one very traditional thing that you must try: Begniets & cafe au lait at the Cafe du Monde in front of Jackson Square.

The Cafe du Monde is open 24 hours a day, you can go any time, and it's great for people watching and street music performers. Begniets, if you don't know, are puffy squares of a doughnut-like pastry, drenched in powdered sugar. They are absolutely, sinfully, delicious, and they are served 3 to an order, piping hot. Since you'll be there in January, the perfect thing to go with them is a nice hot cafe au lait, make with their trademark coffee.

BTW, there is a second Cafe du Monde in the Riverwalk mall by the cruise line pier. Don't bother with it. Although it serves the same treats, the atmosphere is what makes the real Cafe du Monde what it is - a New Orleans institution.

I agree with Video Tech on going to Jackson Square and Mulates by the Terminal is a good plce to eat but all around NO has good food. The Riverwalk is nice to get last minite things before you board the ship and watch the crew get ready for the next sailing. I have stayed at the HI Superdome but just a litte walk to everything but you can get a ride from the hotel to JS and back.

Archived