Istanbul to Athens in mid October

PVPatti

My husband and I booked a cruise from Istanbul to Athens while on the Marina in May. It was scheduled for Sept.21, 2012. Unfortunately, soon afterwards Oceania changed the ports of call for this cruise and since we had already visited the majority of them we decided to reschedule our cruise.

We are thinking about Marina's Istanbul to Athens cruise on October 12, 2012. I'm concerned about the weather (rain and winds) during that period. Has anyone had experience cruising in this area during October? We would appreciate any input you could provide.

Thank you.

My husband and I booked a cruise from Istanbul to Athens while on the Marina in May. It was scheduled for Sept.21, 2012. Unfortunately, soon afterwards Oceania changed the ports of call for this cruise and since we had already visited the majority of them we decided to reschedule our cruise.

We are thinking about Marina's Istanbul to Athens cruise on October 12, 2012. I'm concerned about the weather (rain and winds) during that period. Has anyone had experience cruising in this area during October? We would appreciate any input you could provide.

Thank you.

In both Istanbul and Athens, you can expect daytime temperatures in the high-ish 60's, and overnight lows in the low to mid 50's.

October is not normally a wet month in that region, and if the Sun cooperates, which it usually does, you'll find the weather perfect for touring (but not beach-ing).

We're leaving on Marina from Rome to Istanbul on 21 October with a stop in Athens ... I'll let you know!

We aren't anticipating severe weather but you never know.

The last time we did an Athens-Istanbul itinerary was in February 2000 and while it was very pleasant in Athens, it was much cooler in Istanbul. Istanbul itself wasn't very cold (although I think I remember wearing a light coat) but when we went out into the countryside there was a lot of snow on the ground.

Mura

We boarded the Nautica on October 3, 2009 in Instanbul and embarked in Venice on October 17, 2009 and had perfect weather for the whole trip. We needed a light sweater most days and it wasn't cool until we arrived in Venice when we needed a heavier sweater - the sun shone every day!!!

Archived