Carnival Victory

Cruisin'BusyBee

I was just hearing all kinds of info pertaining to Victory that is in the middle of Hurricane Irene in San Juan. 1st: I heard that Victory cannot leave the port (closed by port authority), then I heard that it left prior to that at 6 pm. My family's documents state that embarkation was from 2:30 - 8:30 upon my further checking. Does anyone know if it cannot leave tonite or that it did indeed leave early (boy, there would be some very unhappy passengers if that was so).

Anyone have site that I could go to to see about this or anyone have any further updates?

Thanks, CBB

Yea there is a storm moving through the area. I don't know if they did get to sail, but the good thing is all the ports are close to each other. So even if they do delay till next day, it will not take them long to get to a port. There is only one sea day, so they should visit several ports even with the weather.

My sister and her friends were supposed to be on this ship as well. The ship left WAY before the scheduled 10:30pm departure time leaving approximately THREE plane loads of passengers behind.

Those passengers are being told that they will have to fly to Barbados to pick up the ship on Tuesday. IDK whether the cruise line is paying for it or not but they should seeing as they left way before the time advertised.

My sister and her friends were supposed to be on this ship as well. The ship left WAY before the scheduled 10:30pm departure time leaving approximately THREE plane loads of passengers behind.

Those passengers are being told that they will have to fly to Barbados to pick up the ship on Tuesday. IDK whether the cruise line is paying for it or not but they should seeing as they left way before the time advertised.

I think they should also.

Saw that site got bleeped out....**********dotcom will get you any info you may need to check on any cruise ship.

Hope its okay to have that site on here...just found it googling ships positions.Just saw it did it again let me try this sea scanner.

Mick

I really rate that they missed the ship, but people do not read their cruise contrat that states the sailing time can be advanced for any reason. I do believe that an approaching tropical storm/potential hurricane is a valid reason. Please go the the FAQ section on Carnival's site for details on what they are doing for those that got left behind. They are trying to help. When will people realize that Carnival does not contol the weather?

I really rate that they missed the ship, but people do not read their cruise contrat that states the sailing time can be advanced for any reason. I do believe that an approaching tropical storm/potential hurricane is a valid reason. Please go the the FAQ section on Carnival's site for details on what they are doing for those that got left behind. They are trying to help. When will people realize that Carnival does not contol the weather?

Here is the blub

Carnival Victory – 8/21departure

Due to the approach of Tropical Storm Irene in San Juan, the Carnival Victory departed at 6pm today (instead of the scheduled 10pm departure). The Carnival Victory will cancel St. Thomas tomorrow and proceed to Barbados on Wednesday at 8am. Guests who missed the ship today should contact a Carnival rep at the San Juan airport or call 1800 CARNIVAL for assistance. We will also have a dedicated desk tomorrow to assist with travel arrangements to Barbados. Please call 1800 CARNIVAL extension 70046 as of 8:30AM (EST).

What it doesnt say is if you dont have a passport, you cant fly into Barbados to catch the ship.So that will end the trip for lots of people.

It really becomes a sad state of affairs when you check for flights out of SJU to BGI..I think I would just count my loses and go back home as soon as I can. I know most of the airlines will allow you free changes if you are in a hurricane zone.

I cant imagine what those pax left in SJ are feeling.

well, my hopes are that my family were able to get on though I can only imagine what a "rocky ride" it must be, as they get into those hurricane waters and head out. It must have been a total ZOO embarking (started at 2:30 pm - taxi's must have been difficult to get, too). Hoping that everyone is ok (my family and those still in P.R.)

I cannot get on to see the Victory info, please let me know if anyone else has any other information - I would greatly appreciate it. This site is well known for all the helping cruisers.........................

C/BB

Here is the blub

What it doesnt say is if you dont have a passport, you cant fly into Barbados to catch the ship.So that will end the trip for lots of people.

It really becomes a sad state of affairs when you check for flights out of SJU to BGI..I think I would just count my loses and go back home as soon as I can. I know most of the airlines will allow you free changes if you are in a hurricane zone.

I cant imagine what those pax left in SJ are feeling.

Yikes, didn't realize the passport restriction! Hopefully Carnival can get their act together and charter a flight. It sounds like they certainly have enough people to fill it!

But, you're absolutely right. My stomach turned when I read it left early. Couldn't imagine getting to the port and not seeing my ship.

The last place a ship wants to be in a storm is tied to a dock. They had to sail early as the coast guard was closing the port. I am sure Carnival will do all they can to get the passengers on the ship. Just think about the ones who did fly in early and boarded and then left the ship for a tour. What a surprise to come back to no ship. I don't know when they decided they might leave early, hopfully the passengers knew not to leave the ship. This storm seems to be moving pertty fast so after tomorrow they should have nice weather.

Mizz: did your family make the ship or stuck in the airport? I really am not sure which would be best. I know that heavy winds/rain ie. hurricane is NOT where u want to be on a ship - I worry now that the ship may overturn in waters, I do imagine that those on the ship must stay in their cabins.............................CBB

Yikes, didn't realize the passport restriction! Hopefully Carnival can get their act together and charter a flight. It sounds like they certainly have enough people to fill it!

But, you're absolutely right. My stomach turned when I read it left early. Couldn't imagine getting to the port and not seeing my ship.

Charter not going to happen. To enter Barbados by AIR, one must have a passport. Period.

I think the would still need a passport.

Mizz: did your family make the ship or stuck in the airport? I really am not sure which would be best. I know that heavy winds/rain ie. hurricane is NOT where u want to be on a ship - I worry now that the ship may overturn in waters' date=' I do imagine that those on the ship must stay in their cabins.............................CBB[/quote']

They wont overturn, the Captain will steer them to calmer waters. They have until wednesday to arrive in Barbados, so they will probably be going pretty slow once they make it out of the storm.

I dont know what I would do, if you try to catch the ship on wednesday, you have to either stay in SJ and flyout tuesday or wed morning or fly to Barbados in the morning (if the airport is still open) then get a hotel in Barbados. Buying flights and hotel rooms in the caribbean last min are always $$$$

Then you basically caught up to a cruise thats halfway over.

Weather is one reason why we always fly in a day or so early - plus, it's a good way to start a trip. It gives you a chance to unwind from the hassles of getting ready. The San Juan airport is NOT a cruiser-friendly spot; in fact last time through I decided it'd be a LONG time before we returned. We sail in December, after hurricane season. Hope it works out, just stay calm and they'll get it organized so it works out best for everybody. Remember, they've dealt with this kind of thing before.

My DD is on this cruise. They arrived in San Juan at 0100 and stayed at a hotel. Arrived at the ship at 11:00 and checked in. She needed to fill a prescription at Walgreen's and they would not let her off the ship until 12 or 1 pm.

The bridge finally allowed people to leave with the instruction that they had to return by 5 pm. The ship sailed at 6 pm.

So everyone who checked in knew of the early departure and got told to be there by 5.

People with late flights at the airport are being helped to Barbados as the st thomas stop was cancelled. Hope they all had passports.

And thank god DD finally listened to her mother and arrived early. She was originally stay in san juan for 10 days. I said STUPID Take a cruise:D IT IS HURRICANE SEASON At least carnival will keep you out of the Hurricane

Archived