Need help to select which European river?

Magpie22

To all the seasoned river cruisers out there...

I am trying to work out the best stretches of the Rhine, Mosel, Main and Danube rivers? I am particularly interested in the very old fairytale and ancient villages, as well as beautiful riverside scenery. I've become very keen on the Mosel stretch from Trier from my research, but there are not many options that include the Mosel and I want to make sure that I don't miss out on other "must see" river sections. At this stage I'm leaning toward an AMA cruise from Nuremburg to Luxembourg. Any advice would be appreciated.

I should add that we also plan to do a 1 week barge cruise from Brugges to Amsterdam on the Iris if I can "connect the dots"

Thanks in advance for any wisdom

Check out the Vantage Castles on the Rhine, Main & Danube Cruise. You will cruise the Rhine Gorge with the fairy tale castles perched on the hills and the scenic Wachau Valley.

We took this cruise last year and loved it. You get to visit Budapest and Vienna, which are not to be missed, along with the scenery along the Danube, Main and Rhine.

The story and pictures of our cruise are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

We have been on 4 Vantage river cruises and another coming up this Dec. Anyway please look at all of them and most important - some seem cheaper but offer a lot of optional trips. Check out those and add all the extras.....those that seem lower priced make up the difference by charging you on optional trips. Been very satisified with Vantage. Willard

We have been on 4 Vantage river cruises and another coming up this Dec. Anyway please look at all of them and most important - some seem cheaper but offer a lot of optional trips. Check out those and add all the extras.....those that seem lower priced make up the difference by charging you on optional trips. Been very satisified with Vantage. Willard

Willard, did you see the new Vantage trip on the Elbe? I'm thinking that will be our next one after Russia of course. Judy

Thanks to the posters this far, but getting back to my question...

"I am trying to work out the best stretches of the Rhine, Mosel, Main and Danube rivers? I am particularly interested in the very old fairytale and ancient villages, as well as beautiful riverside scenery.

I've become very keen on the Mosel stretch from Trier from my research, but there are not many options that include the Mosel and I want to make sure that I don't miss out on other "must see" river sections. At this stage I'm leaning toward an AMA cruise from Nuremburg to Luxembourg. Any advice would be appreciated."

So what I am really trying to find out, is that if I only go from Nuremburg to Luxembourg, I am not going to see anything...

• on the Rhine between Koblenz and Amsterdam
  • on the Main / Danube from Nuremburg to Budapest (and beyond)

This question is really directed to anyone fortunate enough to have cruised the entire lengths of the Mosel, Rhine and Danube...

In narrowing myself down to the stretch between Nuremburg to Luxembourg, what other sections of the rivers would you rate as being superior for beautiful scenery, ancient villages etc. that I would not encounter if I go with my preference?

I know this comes down to personal preferences, but I can do my own research on any recommendations offered.

Thanks in advance

Magpie22 - did the Rhine on Avalon last year. So I can help on part of your quesiton -

'So what I am really trying to find out, is that if I only go from Nuremburg to Luxembourg, I am not going to see anything...

on the Rhine between Koblenz and Amsterdam '

My opinion - the most interesting part between Koblenz and Amsterdam will be going through the locks. In other words, it's a rathar drab, industrial area. After traveling the Rhine from Rudesheim to Koblenz you will be rathar under-amazed with the Koblenz to Ams section. That's my opinion.

Have a wonderful cruise regardless!

Archived