Dawn Questions

May05Bride

Hey everyone! My fiance and I are leaving on the Dawn 4/3. Neither of us have been on a cruise and we are really excited! :D I had some questions though.....

1. Are there irons and ironing boards in the rooms?

2. If you are bringing any electrical appliances (ie. hair iron, etc) will it work or do you need some sort of converter?

3. Should you book the "speciality" restaurants now or can you wait until you get on the cruise? Some of the exercusions we wanted were booked out. :(

Thats all I can think of now! Thanks :)

2 more questions I thought of! haha

4. Should we pack an outfit that is really formal- ie, fancy dress and suit? Is there a captains dinner or formal night on the Dawn?

5. Spa treatments- book prior to leaving? Or can you wait until you get on the ship?

Thanks again :)

1. There are no irons or ironing boards in the cabins, but a pressing service is available.

2. The outlets are 110..no converters needed...you might want to bring a power strip in case you need more outlets.

3.You cannot book any restaurants before you board...you shouldn’t have a problem getting seated. Just explore the ship and find out what restaurants you might like.

4. Formal night is not that fancy. I just wore a blazer and tie and my wife wore nice dress...

5. Spa treatments can only be booked while onboard..

Have a great trip..fellow LI'er

Hi May Bride,

Every night is resort casual. Your honey doesn't even need a sports jacket if he doesn't want one. Just nice pants and shirt are ok.

I don't know what excursions you missed, but we loved the Everglades Airboat in Miami and the next time we went we did the Miami City Tour. Both were great.

Good Luck with the wedding plans. I am sure you are going to love the Dawn.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

For May05Bride...

Here's some of my answers to your questions...hope they help! You'll love the DAWN!

1. The laundry rooms on the DAWN are equipped with 3 or 4 ironing boards and irons that are hardwired into the wall. There are also a few self-serve washers and driers there as well...which were "free" to use on our April 2004 trip. The only thing you had to purchase was the laundry soap for $1.00 (or bring your own). Just ask your cabin steward where the nearest one is, as they aren't identified on the deck plans. We always pack a steamer for those quick touch-up jobs that are needed in our cabin.

2. No electrical converter needed...but there are only two plugs in each cabin: one is located on the dressing table beneath the mirror...the other is in the bathroom. The suggestion to bring a power strip is a good one because it will convert the single plug on the dressing table into a multi plug outlet for your curling iron, recharge your camera/camcorder, clock, etc. You really don't have to bring your own hair drier...the one that is permanently mounted on the dressing table is a powerful one.

3. The specialty restaurants can ONLY be booked once your board the ship...even then, you can only book for that day and possibly the next one. As far as the shore excursions go, we always pre-book ours on-line to assure that we get the ones we really want because the "great" ones tend to get "sold out" fast.

4. The "formal" night on the DAWN is optional. It was on Monday of our 7 day 2004 cruise. This was also the night designated as the Captain's Gala Dinner and the photographers were positioned at key spots throughout the ship to take everyone's picture (if desired). One spot featured the Captain, who would shake your hand and pose for a photo with you. It makes for a great momento of your trip! My husband and I always take advantage of this "dress-up" occasion...he in his tux and I in my long dress. The choice is strictly up to you...that is what "freestyle" is all about...and you will see people dressed from pool attire to tuxes on that night. Mind you, the main dining rooms will not allow anyone in shorts enter for the evening meal...if you want to wear shorts, you can go to the buffet.

5. Spa treatments can only be booked one you board the ship. It is one of the things that I do after I get settled into my cabin. There will usually be a tour of the spa and a drawing for "free" treatments on the first sailing day. Make reservations early, as the "prime" times get filled fast. They will usually run specials during the cruise to fill time slots that don't sell out.

You've only days to go before your cruise...lucky you, we have to wait until the end of April!

Debjo

If I remember correctly, the spa runs specials on port days and also toward the end of the cruise.

If you were shut-out of excursions, it may help to check with the excursion desk once you are on board.

Also, if you are not given a "pocket guide" in your room, you can pick one up at the Reception desk. A great, simple guide to help you get around on the ship. A great help on such a big ship.

Have a wonderful cruise...you will love the Dawn.

May05Bride

We do get dressed up formal for formal night. We think it's s special time .... we also do not go to the Main Dining room on Formal night. We make reservations for a specialty restuarant that night.....makes for a romantic dinner evening..... all dressed up Plenty of Places to go! ;-)

Archived