Treasures of the Mediterranean/Rome

Hi All. Got my tickets this morning for our cruise on 24th Sept. So looking forward to seeing Rome for the first time. Going to plump for one of the Thomson excursions as it is our first visit. So my question to you experienced sea dogs is............Which one to go for? Cost not massively important, but would like the one that crams as many sights in as poss.

Looking at these 3 in particular.............

Rome- All In One Day (by coach)

Classical Sights & Vatican City

Rome Express - All In One Day

Cheers.:D

PS. Any tips on the other ports of call also appreciated.

Don't do any of the Thomson Tours to Rome. Instead, pre-book a personal tour with 'Miles and Miles' - a family tour company (details on trip advisor) who will greet you off the ship and in their air conditioned taxi (seats 7) will take you to places the coach won't.

The guides bring the whole place alive. Our guide was born and raised within site of the Vatican so what he didn't know wasn't worth knowing. As well as all the usual sites he jumped queues at the Collosseum, took us to local Roman Coffee shops, showed us the most amazing crypt of the Capuchin monks which still makes my spine tingle (you'd never see this on the coach tours), the Catacoombs.

I could go on and on. It was one of those days that will stay with me forever.

The thomson tours we did go on were the Nice, monaco and Monte Carlo trip. Very enjoyable and you got to see everything there was to see and in Livorno, the Puccini Lake and Pisa tour.

After 3 hectic days with early starts we didn't book tours for Corsica and mainland Spain - just walked off the ship to the lovely harbour towns and enjoyed a general browse.

Hope that helps.

On the Med Rennaissance cruise in June this year did the Rome and Vatican City excursion. Got to see Rome from the bus only with lunch at a typical Italian restaurant and followed by a very busy visit to the Vatical City - all very enjoyable for a first visit to Rome - would probably do my own thing next time.

Archived