A Married Couple, a One Year Old and a Mother in Law! SC or SJ Suite on Dawn?

NameThatFunnel

I am planning to cruise on the Dawn in November. I am deciding to either stay in my SC - 2 Bedroom Suite or possibly choose one of the new SJ Family Suites on Deck 12.

Anyone stayed in a SJ on the Star or SC on the Dawn and able to offer some advice/comparisons? Again, I am traveling with my wife, 1 year old daugher and my mother in law.

Thanks

We love the family suites on Deck 12. They are more roomy and spacious than the 2 BR suite (that other BR is tiny, when the bed is made up, it takes up the whole room) BUT they have 2 Bathrooms, which can be a blessing.

On the other hand, the family suite can partition into three areas using the pocket doors and curtains. The bathroom is very nice (so is the 2 BR bathroom).

You will hear much more from others, I am sure! :D

We love the new family suites on the Star. (I feel like I'm always following valleyvillage on these kinds of posts!) :)

Last time we had 5 adults - this time just 4. There is privacy as in not being able to see each other, when you have the curtains closed around the 3 different sleeping areas, but not much privacy as in what you can or can't hear. My parents both wear hearing aids that they take off at night so that helps. There is an expanding 'wall' the pulls out between the real bed and the sofa sleeper. But the foot of the bed is partitioned off by a sliding curtain.

There is a king size bed in the main part of the room, and if you have an SJ that sleeps 6 you will have a Murphy bed as well as a sofa sleeper. The Murphy bed was very comfy. It is pushed up into the wall during the day and that's where the table and chairs are. At night the table and chairs are moved off to the side to make room for the bed, but there is still PLENTY of floor space left.

If you need the sleeper sofa made out, the foot of the sofa sleeper faces the foot of the Murphy bed and the 2 easy chairs are in-between. Still leaves room for walking. We were so pleasantly surprised with how much floor space is in the room, even with all the beds made out. It was wonderful!

This time we won't need the sofa sleeper made out at night, so that will make it even that much more roomy.

We are completely in love with the 'wall of windows'. My elderly parents spent nearly the entire cruise in the suite enjoying those windows. They played cards at the table, facing the windows. Or they sat in the easy chairs or on the sofa reading, napping or just gazing out the windows at the beautiful scenery. Who needs TV?!

We enjoyed the windows so much that after the first night we didn't bother closing any curtains. Everyone was able to wake up to a new view every morning and it was absolutely wonderful.

This is a good question. We love the SC's but will be trying the SJ on the Star in February. However, it is for the four of us, my wife and I and our teenagers.

I think you will love it!

Great comments on these suites. Thanks. Does anyone have pictures of the SJ or SC they would like to share?

I do not have pictures from the SC from the Dawn (we were in one in 2007) or the Gem (we were in one 8/7). The SJ's on the Dawn are not finished yet so the ones on the Star will give you some ideas. I am going to search for some pics and see if I can help.

Thanks. That was a nice video. I'm still considering the SC over the SJ because of the 2 separate bedrooms and two bathrooms, not to mention the balcony. The price for the SC is over $1,500 more.

From the video, the SJ does seem to have a more open and larger layout.

Anyone stayed in both an SC and one of the new SJ's (on Star perhaps)?

Thanks. That was a nice video. I'm still considering the SC over the SJ because of the 2 separate bedrooms and two bathrooms, not to mention the balcony. The price for the SC is over $1,500 more.

From the video, the SJ does seem to have a more open and larger layout.

Anyone stayed in both an SC and one of the new SJ's (on Star perhaps)?

I have not been in the SJ yet. The SC is a great suite. The 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, living/dining area, balcony and all the perks are fantastic. The master bath is great with the double sinks, shower, separate tub, and bedroom area are awesome.

We will be in the SJ on the Star but not until February so I cannot compare yet. It does look more open and the cabin is much wider.

Good luck with your decision. You have a win/win in my opinion.

Archived