Scuba Diving Recs?

KAandJJ

My husband and I will be in Barbados in less than two weeks and would like to book a dive while their. We do not want to go through the cruise ship since they up-charge like crazy. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new diver and last year dove in St. Thomas. I spontaneously popped up to the surface (fortunately was not far down), then ended up with a mask full of blood from "over equalizing", and just in general did not have a great experience. But when it is going well, I love it. I am also thinking of diving, but have to pick between St. Kitts and Barbados.

• 3 months later...

I dove 3 wrecks in Carlisle Bay with Barbados Blue in August 2010 and they were great.

I introduced my kids to Scuba on that trip and the dive masters were awesome - very patient and attentive.

I would definitely dive with them again. They are located at the Hilton, easy to get to by cab or by bus.

Here are some pics:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=1&l=7a121683da

Cheers, P:)

• 1 month later...

I dove with Eco Dive last week. Andrew is the dive leader with Mike as his first mate onboard. It was a great experience and I would definitely dive with them again.

Andrew met me at the cruise terminal (gate 5) at 8:15a and drove me to the dive shop. After getting fitted for gear and filling out the usual PADI liability form, Andrew did a very thorough dive briefing.

The boat is only built for six passengers so this is no cattle car! You sit in the bow to don your gear then do a backward roll into the water. The weights are the hard, square kind on a web belt. Mike took care of defogging our masks and putting on our fins.

There was a cooler onboard with water and juice. A canopy covers about 2/3s of the boat so plenty of room to get out of the sun if needed.

We did two hour long dives over great reefs. Max depth was about 55', but average was 35'. Safety stop is required. Andrew had his camera equipment with him and tried to include the divers in his shots. He e-mailed them to me a couple days later along with a "thank you for diving with Eco Dive" message.

Getting back on the boat was easy. You hand your mask and fins up to Mike then climb up a small ladder on the stern. Mike helped you midship where you could hold onto the wheel while he removed your gear then swapped out the tank.

Back on the dock, Andrew and Mike rinsed all gear - theirs and any we brought. We settled up the bill after the dive. There is a tip jar on the shop counter. They have $20 t-shirts and very cute $20 rasta divers.

Andrew took me back to the cruise terminal. I was back by 2:30p.

Archived