LA logistics - where to stay

Hi,

We're doing the 14-day RT LA to Hawaii Princess cruise next April/May with friends (four of us in total) and are looking at two nights pre-cruise and one or two nights post cruise. We will have at least one full day to tour on each end. The two things we're interested in is a LA tour pre-cruise (Tuesday) and one day at Universal Studies (Wednesday and maybe Thursday) post-cruise. We won't be renting a car.

As I don't have the lay of the land yet, where should I be looking for hotels? I often use Priceline and don't know what areas to check.

1st hotel (one day to tour) - airport-tour-ship

2nd hotel (one or two days to tour) - ship-Universal-airport.

I'm saying Universal as I think that Disney is too far away. As adults, we may prefer Universal anyway.

Here is the lay of the land ...

LA.jpg

The red circle is where LAX is located. The blue circle is where the cruise port is located. The green circle is where Universal Studios is located.

The distance from LAX to the cruise port is about 20 miles. The distance from the cruise port to Universal Studios is about 32 miles.

You can figure about $2.50 per mile plus tip for a taxi. Public transportation in Los Angeles is not very good.

For your pre cruise, I'd suggest staying in the San Pedro area or Long Beach. Many here on the boards recommend Sunseekers for a tour of Los Angeles. (Sunseekers.com I believe, or do a search here on the boards).

Actually Disneyland would probably be not that much different in mileage as Universal is from the port. Universal is more an amusement park. If you want to see a working studio, I'd suggest taking the VIP tour at Warner Bros (not too far from Universal). The one thing is they are not open on the weekend, so it would depend on the day(s) you'd be here at the end of your cruise. Universal has 2 hotels on property, the Universal Hilton and the Universal Sheraton. Also nearby is the Beverly Garland Hotel (my suggestion) The BG offers a free shuttle to Universal. The Red Line Metro station is also right there which can take you into Hollywood.

If you don't rent a car, I'd probably suggest Super Shuttle to get to your hotels and airport.

Whatever you do, have fun!!

Denice

Thanks to both of you for your replies, especially for the map!

The San Pedro pre-cruise choice is the Doubletree Hotel. Quiet and on the ocean.

Because good hotels in Universal City are a bit expensive for just a place to sleep, I'm re-thinking the order in which we may do things or may cut back on one night. Beverly Garland is $157+/nt and the Hilton is $157+/nt on Priceline. A less expensive alternative that looks OK is the Comfort Inn & Suites near Universal for $103+/nt.

As we'll have jet lag from the Atlantic coast, I think we'd rather do Universal at the end (and leave some excitement for last). To cut out one night's hotel stay, is it reasonable to get an early walk-off the ship, shuttle to a Universal hotel and dump our bags, and get to the park early enough in the morning to see the park in one day/evening?

Would we book a Super Shuttle to get us to/from all three destinations: airport/hotel/ship/hotel/airport?

Cruizer2- Great map...but you didn't circle Disneyland (maybe with a Mickey icon?) And the bottom of the map cuts off about 2 miles from my house...I feel left out! :eek:

Universal is really only a 1-day park. You can see all in that time. There's a 45 minute tram tour, and the rest is rides and/or shows.

My house is on the map. :D Maybe he should put a symbol for Vals there.

I bet you'll not only be able to see Universal Studio in a day, but also have time to see City Walk there too (restaurants and stores right next to Universal Studios).

The San Pedro pre-cruise choice is the Doubletree Hotel. Quiet and on the ocean.

Because good hotels in Universal City are a bit expensive for just a place to sleep, I'm re-thinking the order in which we may do things or may cut back on one night. Beverly Garland is $157+/nt and the Hilton is $157+/nt on Priceline. A less expensive alternative that looks OK is the Comfort Inn & Suites near Universal for $103+/nt.

As we'll have jet lag from the Atlantic coast, I think we'd rather do Universal at the end (and leave some excitement for last). To cut out one night's hotel stay, is it reasonable to get an early walk-off the ship, shuttle to a Universal hotel and dump our bags, and get to the park early enough in the morning to see the park in one day/evening?

Would we book a Super Shuttle to get us to/from all three destinations: airport/hotel/ship/hotel/airport?

If Universal Studios is open late, yes, you can get your money's worth by getting there around 11 AM until closing. It can be really crowded and lines long for the rides--but depends on the day, season, and weather.

Yes, supershuttle should be able to provide all your shuttle needs.

Sunseeker Tours have good reviews here. Check them out for your Tour of LA day. They probably also do a day trip to Universal from San Pedro, if you want to stay there post cruise.

Stepping in late here (just home from a long cruise) with just a note...

"near Universal" is not necessarily good...In the case of the Comfort suites, it's at Lankershim and Erwin in North Hollywood...not that great a location...sort of scuzzy commercial area and NOT convenient to Universal...

All things being equal, for just $54 a night, spring for the Hilton...CONVENIENCE well worth the $54...Puts you right ON the property...You can WALK to the Park and to Citywalk...and the neighborhood is a whole lot nicer...so's the hotel...

Stepping in late here (just home from a long cruise) with just a note...

"near Universal" is not necessarily good...In the case of the Comfort suites, it's at Lankershim and Erwin in North Hollywood...not that great a location...sort of scuzzy commercial area and NOT convenient to Universal...

All things being equal, for just $54 a night, spring for the Hilton...CONVENIENCE well worth the $54...Puts you right ON the property...You can WALK to the Park and to Citywalk...and the neighborhood is a whole lot nicer...so's the hotel...

I was wondering when you were going to chime in. You always have some good advise for those looking to extend their vacation in Southern California.

Hope you had a wonderful cruise.

Given a bit more research, I figured this out and appreciate the confirmation. Our travel friends agree too.

I'm hoping we can get off the ship and situated at the Hilton early enough to make the most of our day/evening at Universal. I'm planning to ask for express walk-off and our flight from LAX is at 12:45 the next day.

Do you have anything to add about the location of the Doubletree in San Pedro? I've read all that my search of this board has turned up and, it seems, not much is closeby for restaurants (off hotel) or a liquor store to buy a box of wine to take onboard. Maybe their hotel shuttle 'to the area' may provide these options. Lots of people say the Crowne Plaza is a better neighbourhood for that sort of thing but I'd rather stay at the marina.

Hope you had a great cruise... I especially like the "long" part! We just got home from Alaska on the Golden and were quite lucky with the weather!

Cheers!

Given a bit more research, I figured this out and appreciate the confirmation. Our travel friends agree too.

I'm hoping we can get off the ship and situated at the Hilton early enough to make the most of our day/evening at Universal. I'm planning to ask for express walk-off and our flight from LAX is at 12:45 the next day.

Do you have anything to add about the location of the Doubletree in San Pedro? I've read all that my search of this board has turned up and, it seems, not much is closeby for restaurants (off hotel) or a liquor store to buy a box of wine to take onboard. Maybe their hotel shuttle 'to the area' may provide these options. Lots of people say the Crowne Plaza is a better neighbourhood for that sort of thing but I'd rather stay at the marina.

Hope you had a great cruise... I especially like the "long" part! We just got home from Alaska on the Golden and were quite lucky with the weather!

Cheers!

The 22nd Street Landing (Seafood)

http://www.22ndstlandingrestaurant.com/

...is a popular choice for dinner close walking distance to the Doubletree...

But most of the other restaurants I would recommend are just out of walking distance--near the Crowne Plaza...

This favorite, for example:

http://sanpedrobrewing.com/

If you'd prefer Mexican Food, the Acapulco is further up the waterfront just past Ports o' Call and the Green Onion is up near the CP:

http://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/map.aspx?locationID=24

http://green-onion.com/

Italian:

http://www.jtrani.com/

British:

http://www.whaleandale.com/

Lots more...look for San Pedro posts by Wineaux

I don't know about "wine in a box", but, for GOOD wine, head over to "Off the Vine" at 491 6th Street:

www dot offthevinewines dot com

Bruin Steve - perhaps you can help with some info.

I will be cruising out of San Pedro next May - I will be Amtraking it the port - in the past I have stayed in either San Pedro or Long Beach but this time I would like to spend some time exploring more of downtown LA and Hollywood - have stayed at the Metro Plaza Hotel - near Union Station and it was okay and could stay there again as their price is in my range.

If I stay there or in Hollywood what are the transportation options from those two locations to the port in San Pedro or would it be better to head down to San Pedro the night before the cruise and not worry about same day travel.

Cheers

Dennis

Bruin Steve - perhaps you can help with some info.

I will be cruising out of San Pedro next May - I will be Amtraking it the port - in the past I have stayed in either San Pedro or Long Beach but this time I would like to spend some time exploring more of downtown LA and Hollywood - have stayed at the Metro Plaza Hotel - near Union Station and it was okay and could stay there again as their price is in my range.

If I stay there or in Hollywood what are the transportation options from those two locations to the port in San Pedro or would it be better to head down to San Pedro the night before the cruise and not worry about same day travel.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis, if you've done this before, you are likely aware of the limitations of using Amtrak for an LA cruise vacation...but, for the sake of others:

Amtrak does not really serve San Pedro well. the main LA RR Station, Union Station, is just to the north of Downtown LA--and about 25-30 miles (depending on route) north of the cruise terminal in San Pedro. Amtrak handles it by tying in a bus service to the port. One could also use a shuttle service from there or, if one is extremely venturesome and brave, the Metrorail system to Long Beach and a taxi from there...

Also, please note that I shy away from recommending that almost anyone stay in Downtown LA...and, most certainly would NEVER recommend the hotel you named...The location is something I don't think I'd ever want to find myself in...The area around Union Station is known for transients, homeless and all sorts of unsavory types and illicit traffic...

Now, that said, I do go there during the DAY, if in the area...Philippe's (inventor of the French Dip sandwich) is an institution...It does put you near various historical attractions in the Downtown area--the original Pueblo and Olvera Street as well as Chinatown...If you are into architecture, there are some landmark buildings downtown--like the famed Bradbury Building...and you can use the Metro to venture up to the heart of Hollywood and back...

And, it sounds like you've stayed there before, so, I HOPE, you know what you are getting into...

Now, whether to stay there (or one of the BETTER hotels down in the Financial District of Downtown) or in Hollywood depends on how much time you have and what you want to see...

From either location, I think your best option to the port is a shuttle service--like Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle--they'll pick you up with your luggage right from your hotel wherever it is and drop you off directly at the cruise terminal. I don't think the meager savings are worth the hassle in trying to figure out the public transportations system and dealing with luggage...and taxis are prohibitive.

Good luck.

I live right in downtown Vancouver - a couple of blocks from our entertainment district and have much the same scenario that you describe so I am used to it - I stayed there the last time because it was a necessary stop over before catching the train to New Orleans the next day - luggage will only be s small tote bag as it is only a short repo cruise and I have lugged larger ones through downtown cores both here in Vancouver and New Orleans.

If I want to go straight into either Long Beach or San Pedro the Amtrak bus connects directly with the Coast Starlighter.

I am leaning towards Hollywood for two days and will start researching hotels and transportation options after I get back from my upcoming Panama Canal cruise BUT you have confirmed my initial searching that it is not easy getting to San Pedro cruise terminal from some part of the Greater LA area.

There are also three or four hop on hop off companies providing tours of Hollywood etc - do you have any favorites - I lean towards City Sightseeing as I have used them in NYC on a couple of occasions.

Thanks again for your help and info

Cheers

Dennis

I live right in downtown Vancouver - a couple of blocks from our entertainment district and have much the same scenario that you describe so I am used to it - I stayed there the last time because it was a necessary stop over before catching the train to New Orleans the next day - luggage will only be s small tote bag as it is only a short repo cruise and I have lugged larger ones through downtown cores both here in Vancouver and New Orleans.

If I want to go straight into either Long Beach or San Pedro the Amtrak bus connects directly with the Coast Starlighter.

I am leaning towards Hollywood for two days and will start researching hotels and transportation options after I get back from my upcoming Panama Canal cruise BUT you have confirmed my initial searching that it is not easy getting to San Pedro cruise terminal from some part of the Greater LA area.

There are also three or four hop on hop off companies providing tours of Hollywood etc - do you have any favorites - I lean towards City Sightseeing as I have used them in NYC on a couple of occasions.

Thanks again for your help and info

Cheers

Dennis

I do not believe there are actually several HOHO bus tours...I think there are just different portals to the same tour...Look carefully...it's all the SAME StarLine/RedLine City sightseeing bus on each webpage photo!!!

http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-1H1.asp

http://www.redlinetours.com/redline/hop.php

http://www.extranomical.com/LOS_ANGELES/LOS_ANGELES_HOP_ON_HOP_OFF_TOUR.htm

http://www.city-discovery.com/los-angeles/hop_on_and_off_tours

That StarLine link has the best map of the route and best shows the stops. Make sure you are staying somewhere near one of the stops.

My favorite (nicest and best located) hotel in Hollywood proper is the Renaissance at Hollywood and Highland...

http://renaissancehollywood.com/hh.asp

But, you might find it a bit pricey...(I gather from reading between the lines that you may not be on a 5-star budget)

It is located right in the complex with Grauman's Chinese and the Kodak Theater and the HOHO bus stops right there...

There are a few other hotels in the immediate area which may better fit your budget...I haven't stayed in most of them myself, but others on these boards have stayed in this one:

http://www.hotelcelebrity.com/

And these are in the same area and may be very reasonably priced:

http://www.orchidsuites.com/

http://www.hollywoodlibertyhotel.com/

Not all "Hollywood" is a safe and desirable area...This part of Hollywood--the area around Hollywood and Highland--is great in that it is a fairly nice area and very convenient to the sights of Hollywood...Except for the Renaissance, I'd prefer to stay OFF of Highland (too much noise and traffic) and on one of these side streets behind the Chinese Theater.

Aerial of area

Oh...and you can take the Metro if you want from Union Station to Hollywwood and Highland...The station is underneath the commercial complex...

Thanks for the additional info - as mentioned I will start working on this visit after i get back from the Panama Cruise so will likely do some more posting then.

I have enough Air Miles rewards miles for a couple of nights at a Best Western - I believe there are a couple in the Hollywood area - any thoughts.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going on the 14 day rt to Hawaii in about a month. We will be flying into lax the day before. The day before is a recent change and we had already booked the ship's transfers from the airport. So, we are looking for a decent hotel near the airport that has a shuttle we can take out and back in order to meet the cruise line's shuttle. Any suggestions for a hotel near lax that isn't $200 a night?

Baggy,

Have you tried calling to cancel the ship's transfers? If not a refund, you might ask for an onboard credit, then book Supershuttle to take you to a hotel in San Pedro.

The Crown Plaza or the Doubletree in San Pedro get good reviews. Either puts you near the cruise terminal and both have free shuttles to the ship. The regular prices on Priceline.com for these hotels are only $135 and $102 plus tax for mid-October. It's also fairly easy to win these hotels on Priceline for even less at this time of year (there are only two, three-and-a-half star hotels available in San Pedro). We haven't booked our hotels yet for next April but this is our plan and, at the moment, I'm favoring the Doubletree for its quiet location at a marina.

Archived