Is it safe to rent a vehicle in Cozymel, and explore solo?

buckeye89

There are those who will tell you that Cozumel is a perfectly safe place to rent a car. Lots of success stories and satisfied customers.

I don't have as much experience renting a car as some do on this board, but whatever you do, no matter what, be sure to get FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE on the vehicle. Many have an accident free experience while in Cozumel, but do keep in mind that you are driving in a different country and will be subject to the laws of Mexico. That means if you get into an accident or hit somebody, there could be a few complications. You may be required to make a trip to the police station and settle all claims to the satisfaction of the parties involved before you are allowed to go.

That said, I prefer to hire a driver for the day. You get a person who knows the island, and can take you anywhere and everywhere you'd like to go. Also, it takes some worry out of the situation if you plan to indulge in some cocktails.

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

We've rented a Jeep and toured the island on our own twice and intend to rent again when we are ther in October. Never had a problem. I'd recommend NOT drinking, just to be safe. Our only problem was the signs are in Spanish. So we'd laugh as we passed one because we had no clue what it said. The rental company will give you a map with the translations but we didn't realize that until we returned the Jeep. Just be smart and you'll be fine. Very easy island to get around!! Have fun.

ps Get a Jeep!!! they are awesome, we actually came home and bought one!:rolleyes:

I have also rented a jeep and done the drive around the Island. There is pretty much one main road that circles the Island so it is pretty hard to get lost if you stick to that main road and there is no reason not to. Everything is on that road. This is my favorite thing to do. The back side of the island is so different than the tourist side. We have rented another Jeep for next week and plan on doing this again. Was one of my favorite things we did last time. If you do make sure you stop at Coconuts for lunch. Best view on the island and good food.

I suggest you do a search on cruise critic on this subject before deciding.

I asked the same question a few months ago and was bombarded with horror stories, not of being mugged or anything like that, but of realizing that Mexico's laws are not our laws and should you encounter any kind of legal problem, as simple as a pot hole in the road causing an accident, it's not as simple as showing your insurance form!

I would have done so (rented a car in order to get in two ruins instead of just one on a tour) until I read other people's experiences (of one member having to remain behind in order to finish the legalities; involving the consolate; family members having to come from the states to bring money because you may be incarcerated and unable to act for yourself; obtain another passport because you rarely take your passport ashore, do you, or to bring yours to you when your wife removed yours from the room safe and took it home).

I would like to venture off on our own, but am worried about how safe it is. Last thing my wife and I want for our anniversary is trouble.

Thanks

Remember you are in Mexico.. have an accident and you could be in big trouble...

The last time I was in Cozumel, I was with my BF. We had a great day at Playa Mia. I see you have kids... they would enjoy Playa Mia as well....

This is where my boyfriend and I had planned on bringing his boys... If you are bringing children, I would not rent the jeep..

Remember you are in Mexico.. have an accident and you could be in big trouble...

The last time I was in Cozumel, I was with my BF. We had a great day at Playa Mia. I see you have kids... they would enjoy Playa Mia as well....

This is where my boyfriend and I had planned on bringing his boys... If you are bringing children, I would not rent the jeep..

Did you go to OSU... I am also a Buckeye... My Boyfriend Tony and I had a great time at Playa Mia on the bloggers cruise 2009....

I would like to venture off on our own, but am worried about how safe it is. Last thing my wife and I want for our anniversary is trouble.

Thanks

It is very safe.Signs are in Spanish.BUT,get Mexican insurance as any U.S. insurance is no good and they have tough laws on accidents.But we enjoyed it greatly

It is very safe.Signs are in Spanish.BUT,get Mexican insurance as any U.S. insurance is no good and they have tough laws on accidents.But we enjoyed it greatly

Not sure what Mexican insurance covers but remember, getting in an accident there is different than here. You could possibly be taken to Mexican jail and held until things are cleared up and miss your ship. If you miss your ship , you better have your passport with you. And enough cash to fly you back to where you are from.

I read about an incident where a man got in a accident there. they let his family return to the ship, which they reluctantly did. His brother did stay with him. He was not allowed to leave until he paid for their injuries.. AND... their "expected" loss of wages from missing work due to their injuries.. that can add up to a lot of cash.. which if you dont have it with you can land you in jail...

to the op, how old are your children.. not sure what they would keep them there or let them return to the ship... just dont think it is a good idea but....jmho

As I stated earlier in the thread, many people rent a vehicle and have a fun, relaxing day driving around Cozumel with no problems. Me? I'd rather hire a driver. But if this is really what you would like to do, go for it.

Before you book your reservation, do your research on these boards--they are a wealth of information and will help guide you through the process. Just plug in "Renting a car in Cozumel" in the search box at the top of this page. There are several threads that will address your concerns and help you make your decision.

And whatever you do, when you book your vehicle, spend the extra money and be sure to get FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE from the rental agency.

Have fun! :D

Life without whine, I was with my family (5 adults, 4 kids) and we were able to find a taxi driver with a van and negotiate a fee for about 5 hours of tour time around the island. We stopped at San Gervasio for a look at the ruins (about 45 minutes to an hour), then toured the east side (Chen Rio, Mezcalitos, Senor Iguana's), then spent some time at Paradise Beach and Playa de San Francisco before heading downtown for some shopping. We had a blast.

A driver by the name of Gerry has been mentioned often on these boards. He comes very highly recommended, and is often booked in advance. There are other great drivers you might consider booking.

This is a recent thread about hiring a driver for the day--lots of really great information and advice: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545681

Good luck!

Archived