Bringing Wine on board ( without smuggling)

I am disappointed that we can't bring wine on board and will deal with that:(

However are you allowed to bring a case of water (8-10bottles)??? I hate paying for one what a case cost in FLL...and in some ports would rather not by a bottle..with all the pax it would seem they could never have enough on board to supply everyone for a week or more..:confused:

It really depends on if they consider water a beverage. Their rules state no alcohol or beverage may be brought on board. Usually how strict they are in enforcement depends on the time of year. For example they are very strict during spring break. From personal experience I have had no problems with small amounts of water.

Here is a clip from their FAQ...

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard? s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check point........

I think it is generally annoying the way everyone is stopped from doing something because of the stupidity of the minority. I would be happy to pay a $5 a day levy if it meant I could bring my choice of alcohol on board.

I love your way of thinking! I would also be willing to pay a daily levy and even increased it to $10 per day to bring my wine on board!

• 1 month later...
We just returned from FOS 9/25 sailing and took a box of wine in our suitcase without a problem.

Do you think it got through because it was a box instead of a bottle? My husband and I have been cruising for years on many other lines and this is the first time I learned of the strict policy of RCL. Definitely will influence my willingness to cruise this line in the future, particularly in light of the exorbitant prices of wines on the ship.

San Juan was also a port where you could bring anything from the duty free store after security. Is this still happening?:confused:

We just returned from an B2B on Serenade out of San Juan. After security in the Pan American cruise terminal, there was a duty free shop that sold liquor, etc. When we boarded Serenade, there were scanners on deck 5 before entering the ship. Everyone had to rescan their carryons. I am assuming that any bottles seen were confiscated.

Mary Anne

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first time with RCCL. Celebrity (their sister) lets you bring wine on boarding day. That is really disappointing about RCCL-I assumed they would be the same. iIt leaves Sydney and I was super excited to bring some good Aussie wine onboard

I learned my lesson last year on Carnival regarding beer-tried bringing a growler onboard thinking it was a single large bottle like wine and they told me no-only bottled wine. Took my growler-BUT they agreed to refridgerate it (after I caused a fuss) and it was returned to me at the end of the cruise cold and still tasty:)

Tip for smuggling wine-get the boxed wine (there are several good Aussie and CA brands out there now). Never had any problems getting several of those through at a time ;)

Rather than the smuggling thing, which was covered earlier - why not try buying some in advance on the RCCL web site (Gifts and Gear) and request to have it delivered to your cabin? If you booked through a T/A, they have access to T/A rates for a merlot and white wine at a price of something like $13.99 per bottle. Can only be delivered to your cabin. With the white wine though you cannot request a pinot grigio, chardonnay, etc. You get a WHITE wine. They select. Kind of dumb, IMHO. You can also request a white zin, if you prefer that, but I think the price is a little higher.

Better yet, rather than smuggling or spending $14.00 for $5/bottle wine, just change to Holland America. There you may bring aboard CASES of wine or champagne, if you so desire. Even wine-in-a-box is legit. And their fares are comparable if you watch for sales.

I have never heard of this TA rate for wine - anyone else aware of it? If so please tell me how to tell my TA about it - she is top notch and has never heard of it either. I think this may be bogus info.........

My TA sent us a bottle of champagne - it was only $10.

We just returned from an B2B on Serenade out of San Juan. After security in the Pan American cruise terminal, there was a duty free shop that sold liquor, etc. When we boarded Serenade, there were scanners on deck 5 before entering the ship. Everyone had to rescan their carryons. I am assuming that any bottles seen were confiscated.

Mary Anne

Same. Minus the B2B part. They had a woman with a flyer directing pax to the duty free shop saying that you can take beer, wine & drinks to your cabin. I doublechecked with RC personnel and they said nope, no alcohol allowed, it will be held until your last night. After we passed that area, there was a secondary x-ray scanner for carryons, presumably to catch the dutry free items.

However, my case of water made it on board, without any issues, thank goodness.

Archived